Prospect Info: Defense prospects Ranked(hockeywriters)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I rank prospects in tiers according to their +draft years. Obviously most prospects never make it but to say someone is not a prospect because they probably won't make it seems odd.
Imo they are prospects until they are busts.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
How does this current prospect pool D compare to say Stuart Percy (former 1st rounder), Matt Finn & Jesse Blacker (former 2nd rounders) that the fan base once believed had bright futures based on CHL stats in the prospect pool.

Much better. None of those guys ever had as good a year in the AHL at any point as Nielsen and Dermott are having as rookies.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
How does this current prospect pool D compare to say Stuart Percy (former 1st rounder), Matt Finn & Jesse Blacker (former 2nd rounders) that the fan base once believed had bright futures based on CHL stats in the prospect pool.

In reality the success rate outside of top end prospects is very hit and mostly miss where a Frankie Corrado level of achievement will already be viewed as a success story.

Playing 68 NHL games in 6 seasons since being drafting is a success? Morgan Rielly, Jake Gardiner are successes not Corrado. Plus all the players you mentioned were drafted by the old regime and are irrelevant. You can't judge prospects based previous prospects that were drafted by someone else. It's illogical. It's like you being hired for a job and your boss judges you based on the previous employees performance. :shakehead

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

In reality the success rate outside of top end prospects is very hit and mostly miss where a Frankie Corrado level of achievement will already be viewed as a success story.

Ya agree with Zeke, Finn & Blacker got disqualified as prospects when they hit the AHL, Percy had enough mixed success to think that he might be an NHL'er but we got a total false positive in that 9 game NHL stint where he made some plays.

Valiev is closer to Percy's level and we could probably paint him with the same "might be an NHL'er, might not" brush.

Neilsen and Dermott have both been very good at younger ages in the AHL, neither has shown any signs of being "disqualified" by AHL competition

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
can you show me a visbly stronger pool of 9 dmen for another team? while they may have 5 no team has 9 strong d prospects, off the top of my head philly has the strongest and they have 4 legit d prospects and after is the same as ours long shots

edite: while other teams top 4 d prospects are stronger for sure not many have more than that. We should target some D but our top 3 or 4 aren't horrible

Yeah, it's likely at the very least an average group.

I see a couple potential (even likely) top four guys in the group if they own out

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah I'm pretty strict. Mostly because even the best prospects fail a lot.

For me, "legit prospect" is someone I think has more than just a chance of being an NHLer in a best case scenario....for me it's someone who I think his average outcome (50th percentile projection) has him as an NHLer. Not near a lock to be an NHLer, but someone with a solid likely chance.

And yeah, that is pretty strict, because most prospects are longshots.

Then Greenway should be on your list....trust me, he should be our best D prospect by this time next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad