Prospect Info: Defense prospects Ranked(hockeywriters)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Desrocher should not be above Dermott. He's having a good year but he's a junior overager and Dermott had as good or a better year last year in his final year of normal junior eligibility. Now Dermott, still almost a year younger than Desrocher, is having a fine rookie year in the AHL despite getting hurt.

1/2 is Nielsen/Dermott without a doubt, some may have the order switched but I think Nielsen would be the consensus #1.

I think Valiev is 3, with Greenway probably 4. After that maybe Desrocher, but honestly, I'm not even sure Desrocher gets a NHL contract next year let alone our 2nd best D prospects.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
This looks a bit different than the popular opinion here. The #1 ranked in this is no surprise to me. http://thehockeywriters.com/ranked-the-leafs-best-defense-prospects/

It seems like a quality mix of talents that can improve our defense over the next couple years. I bet the #2 rank surprises or causes disagreement among posters. It kind of caught my attention because i really wasn't paying much attention to him.

If this is all more or less true do the leafs even need to look for outside help on D?

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
They are all left handed, I was hoping Jesper Lindgren would be on the list as he is right handed. We need to draft/trade for a RHD.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
They are all left handed, I was hoping Jesper Lindgren would be on the list as he is right handed. We need to draft/trade for a RHD.

I'll agree that is best to have RHD playing the right side. But since there are many more left handed shooters than right hand shooters it may not be possible. Having 7 quality NHL Dmen in your lineup is more important.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If this is all more or less true do the leafs even need to look for outside help on D?

Yea they do. Despite being nice little fluff pieces saying what each player is good at, we're still lucky if 2 out of 5 make the NHL regularily, let alone any of them being a top pairing guy.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Wow that is weird, I have been a huge fan of Desrocher, so wow, good to see someone else agrees with me. I think he has big late blooming potential.

You have to have offensive instinct and conditioning imo to be a 2017 dman.

I think Hunter has done a great job so far, I think Nielsen, Desrochers and Dermott have NHL top six potential and in the near term.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
That's nice but thehockeywriters isnt any more legitimate than a typical hfboards poster

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Jvr and Bozak are still movable. Jvr can get you plenty of options in return by moving him. He is a scorer, thats it. His 200 game is not prize and he doesn't drive possession on his line Marner does. They could still do them trades.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

If Jvr can get us a good young defenseman it could be done. Jvr is not a necessity any longer. He is still a prolific scorer with a poor defensive game. Some team will need scoring with defensive prospect or roster player depth.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lol no he's not.

1. Dermott
2. Nielsen
3. Valiev
The rest.

Really need to infuse this prospect pool with some actual D talent.

But when you add those 3 to Rielly,Zaitsev and gardiner that's a really good top 6 (if all 3 hit at least mid point of their ceilings)

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Lol no he's not.

1. Dermott
2. Nielsen
3. Valiev
The rest.

Really need to infuse this prospect pool with some actual D talent.

Deroscher is a project in his own zone. No way he is ahead of Dermott. Dermott is a complete prospect if not spectacular. Neilson is an offensive weapon. Valiev is inconsistent. Greenway... no idea.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Dermott and Desrochers are both 96 birthdates (though Dermott is actually 11 months younger.) This means their eligibilty situation is the same. Desrochers was sent back to the OHL as an overager but Dermott became a regular in the AHL. That shows the opinion the of the organization about the level of the two.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Deroscher is a project in his own zone. No way he is ahead of Dermott. Dermott is a complete prospect if not spectacular. Neilson is an offensive weapon. Valiev is inconsistent. Greenway... no idea.

I call B.s you don't watch theseguys do you? One says hockey writers is no more legitimate than average posters on here and then two of those legitimate posters come in and don't even know that Nielsen is a right handed shot. Whatever.

To frigging funny. Desrocher is 11th in scoring for defensemen in the ohl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad