Line Combos: Defense Pairings for 2015/2016 (Diaz, Schlemko UFA's)

FlamesFan 2313

Mar 22, 2015
Ontario
Would love to see this next year. Also it gives 'Spoon and Morrison another full year in the AHL

Gio - Brodie
Wideman/Russell - Hamilton
Wideman/Russell - Schlemko
Engelland

Looks like a top 5 D core in the league

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Would love to see this next year. Also it gives 'Spoon and Morrison another full year in the AHL

Gio - Brodie
Wideman/Russell - Hamilton
Wideman/Russell - Schlemko
Engelland

Looks like a top 5 D core in the league

I really like the looks of that, but I'm not so certain Kenny and Tspoon will be in Stockton for the entire year; while I'm really hopeful our D can stay healthy (especially the top-four), thankfully with the depth the Flames now enjoy with the acquisition of Dougie, we should be in good shape in the event of injury, even if it's one of the top guys (i.e. Gio)

Gio - Brodie
Russell - Hamilton
Morrison - Wideman
Engelland - Schlemko
Wotherspoon - Diaz

I think we should resign Schlemko and Diaz for now, but imagine within the next two or three years, adding any of these guys to that list:

Culkin, Hickey, Kulak, Sieloff, Kanzig, Andersson, Kylington

Dat depth doe. Burliving deserves so much credit here, and no question that the rest of the league is definitely taking notice of how stacked the Flames are shaping up. I've personally never been more optimistic for the future of this team.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
i would play Gio Dougie top line for 18 min per game.
Russell and Wide-man for 19 min
Brodie and Engelland for 15 minutes
Abd Brodie with Gio and Dougie for 4 minutes each

Brodie 23 mpg
Douggie/ Gio 22 mpg
Wide Russel 19 min per game
Engelland (or Smid) 15

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I agree with previous posters in that we should try to re-sign both of Diaz and Schlemko, with the latter taking on a more sizeable role - although I am a big Diaz guy (getting his jersey!).

5 GIORDANO - 27 HAMILTON
7 BRODIE - 6 WIDEMAN
4 RUSSELL - 29 ENGELLAND
3 SCHLEMKO - 33 DIAZ

Something like that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
People areforgettting that Smid may actually return and Treliving has said we will not know for sure his status until training camp

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
People areforgettting that Smid may actually return and Treliving has said we will not know for sure his status until training camp

I didn't forget.

I reaaaally hope he does, too. Imagine:

Brodano
Russilton
Smideman

Beautiful. That's 6 NHL d-men, and good balance on each pairing. Provided Smid is healthy, of course.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I didn't forget.

I reaaaally hope he does, too. Imagine:

Brodano
Russilton
Smideman

Beautiful. That's 6 NHL d-men, and good balance on each pairing. Provided Smid is healthy, of course.

That is quite nice looking. People do keep forgetting how not-terrible Smidder was actually on the Oilers - the one defenseman out there who didn't look completely lost when he had the puck in his own zone.

I mean, in the D-corps, you have 2 elite top-pairing D-men in Giordano and Hamilton, 1 solid top-pairing D-man in Brodie, 2 solid second-pairing D-men in Wideman and Russell, and 1 solid second- or third-pairing tweener in Smid.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hamilton's not an elite top pairing guy just yet; he's great offensively but his defensive acumen was questioned at times last year (not surprising really for a 21 year old). And Brodie is arguably better defensively.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'm sorry, I like Schlemko, but I don't have faith in him to perform better than Engelland. I'd have him as a 7 though for sure. If Smid returns (hopefully) then Eng is pushed to 7. Diaz is hopefully as good as gone, not a fan. And I'd rather Wotherspoon get top assignments in the AHL rather than surf the press box, he'll get his call up.

As much as I'd like to have Wideman/Hamilton together for teaching purposes (IMO he had a huge impact on Brodie and Russell's offensive games), I worry about their defensive coverage.. Not really sure tbh, great problem to have nonetheless

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
I'd sign Schlemko and let Diaz and Potter walk. If Wotherspoon/Morrison start to look like legit NHLers and we're not ravaged by injuries I'd shop Wideman around at the trade deadline.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't trade Wideman until I know someone is 100% ready and establishing themselves. Otherwise we're just the same if we get Gio or a couple dmen go down again.. We got probably the deepest backend in the league right now and everyone wants to ship off one of them immediately :laugh: depth wins championships

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We can definitely keep Wideman for next season, but beyond that likely either him or Gio has to go. Considering he's an asset and that his value may never be higher, moving him now makes a lot of sense. If you can move him for a top 6 winger that fits our group, I wouldn't hesitate. I have no interest in giving him away, but moving him does save cap and opens up a spot.

I'd be fine with resigning Schlemko, but if Smid comes back that is one crowed bottom pairing. It's also very plausible that Morrison or Wotherspoon earn a spot.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Interesting to note to, that while Wideman has returned the value of his contract (or more so depending on how much you like him) his current cap hit of 5.25m is pretty reasonable given what defensemen get these days.

Aug 3, 2010
Seems like just about everyone is forgetting Nakladal on their depth charts.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

I think he's destined for the AHL next year. Even though he's 27, he has played 0 games of North American hockey, and wasn't really in high demand going from the KHL over to the Finish elite league. I'd have Morrison ahead of him on the depth chart until he proves other-wise.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

I'm definitely guilty of this, as similarly with Acolatse, just not sure if and where he fits into the Flames' long-term plans. But I guess they both deserve to be regarded as depth guys at the very least.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Didn't forget. I just do not think he will be NHL ready and he is a UFA in a year, so I don't see him as apart of the future either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad