Defense depth?

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Defensive depth does not necessarily equal a successful defense. We have a lot of guys who could play in the NHL right now, but few impact players who could handle a significant role.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Right handed "D"

The lack of right shooting D men is killing us.Every play that starts on the right side of the ice has to begin with a backhand pass and other teams are focusing on it.Kessel has a lot less breaks up the right side.There are barely any plays that start on the right.Left,left'left,every breakout.No wonder our offence has dried up.We are a one trick pony now.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Please, it's not "killing" us. The majority of players shoot left, so most teams in the league don't have more than two right shooting D and seem to manage. We have one in Franson who's played almost every game, and Phaneuf has been playing his off side for a long time and can move the puck adequately.

Chicago has 1.5 (counting part timers as 0.5)
Detroit has 0.
Dallas has 1 who is out for the season now.
Ottawa has 1.5.
Vancouver has 1.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Please, it's not "killing" us. The majority of players shoot left, so most teams in the league don't have more than two right shooting D and seem to manage. We have one in Franson who's played almost every game, and Phaneuf has been playing his off side for a long time and can move the puck adequately.

Chicago has 1.5 (counting part timers as 0.5)
Detroit has 0.
Dallas has 1 who is out for the season now.
Ottawa has 1.5.
Vancouver has 1.

Sorry,don't know anything about the handedness of those teams.Next game just watch how many attempted breakouts come up the left.Also watch how other teams send the puck into the right side when it's dumped in.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
I have a couple of questions if anyone can seriously answer. What kind of injury does Gleason have and when is he expected back? Peter Granberg? Why isn't he playing for the Leafs? Is he really good defensively? Im in Wpg and don't see Marlie games to make a judgement. If Granberg is big and solid on defense plus a RHD then ship out or send down the crap that's up right now ie; Fraser, Ranger

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have a couple of questions if anyone can seriously answer. What kind of injury does Gleason have and when is he expected back? Peter Granberg? Why isn't he playing for the Leafs? Is he really good defensively? Im in Wpg and don't see Marlie games to make a judgement. If Granberg is big and solid on defense plus a RHD then ship out or send down the crap that's up right now ie; Fraser, Ranger

if i recalled correctly - Tim Gleason had a concussion.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think we need a couple of call-ups. A lineup like this would be perfect.

Liles-Rielly

I'm sure Leafs opponents would think this pair was perfect, but for the Maple Leafs, or anybody that wants to see them not get scored on a lot, this pairing would be an absolute disaster.

DaveT83*

Outside of Dion we don't have a single Top4 defence men on any given team in NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad