Proposal: Defenceman to Pittsburgh

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
So, with the Pittsburgh trade with Ottawa they now have Hunwick on their bottom pairing. Ideally, the Penguins will bring someone in so that they can have Hunwick an insurance. I feel they need to bring someone in as they're one injury away from having a depleted back-end. Pittsburgh has $484k in cap space right now but have players they can move. Hunwick himself if they wanted to with them picking up another defenceman in a separate trade.

Who could Pittsburgh target to improve their depth? I don't think we're looking at a big pay-out, i.e Sprong + Sheary + 1st but someone Pittsburgh could pick up for a depth forward + pick. Or just pick + prospect. Suggest some names and let see who is out there.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Ottawa seems like they're in a giving mood:

To Pittsburgh: Erik Karlsson @ 50% retained
To Ottawa: Tom Sestito + 2020 7th Rounder (and Rutherford promises Melnyk that he'll engrave his name on the Cup if Pittsburgh wins)

Everyone wins. I tried working Vegas into this one again. Maybe they trade for Karlsson and flip him but I couldn't find the value. I'll rework it soon.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I agree, I think we are really going to feel the loss of Cole come playoff time. We need some depth defense like last year with Hainsey and Streit.

Guys that could potentially fit the bill IMO, though not sure if they are actually available:

Daley
T. Van Reimsdyk
Merril
Beaulieu
Morrow
Benn
Hutton
Davidson

Some of them may be more valuable than others but still lower pairing guys nonetheless.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Mike Reilly? Cheap, pretty young and still has some upside. Works well on the power play.

The Wild have been looking to move him for a while now to make cap room for forward call-ups.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I agree, I think we are really going to feel the loss of Cole come playoff time. We need some depth defense like last year with Hainsey and Streit.

Guys that could potentially fit the bill IMO, though not sure if they are actually available:

Daley
T. Van Reimsdyk
Merril
Beaulieu
Morrow
Benn
Hutton
Davidson

Some of them may be more valuable than others but still lower pairing guys nonetheless.
Sure Detroit will trade you back Trevor Daley for a 1st or 2nd round pick 2018 but honestly a 3rd should suffice.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Patrick Nemeth
Mark Barberio would have been the best option here, but he's currently on IR and I'm not sure when he is scheduled to come back.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Ottawa seems like they're in a giving mood:

To Pittsburgh: Erik Karlsson @ 50% retained
To Ottawa: Tom Sestito + 2020 7th Rounder (and Rutherford promises Melnyk that he'll engrave his name on the Cup if Pittsburgh wins)

Everyone wins. I tried working Vegas into this one again. Maybe they trade for Karlsson and flip him but I couldn't find the value. I'll rework it soon.

We give Vegas a 2019 4th and they retain another 50%

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Gorges? Can't imagine he'd cost more than a mid-late pick. If the Pens need to balance out contracts, Buffalo's AHL team could use some scoring help.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I don't know what Pittsburgh has available but Ben Hutton might be available. He has a contract of 2.8 mil this and next year. We still have one spot open for retention.
Would have the potential to go beyond the bottom pairing and has played well this year but isn't getting along with the coach for whatever reason.

Otherwise if you want depth, we could offer Alex Biega.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I wonder if somehow the pens could pull off McD from the rangers. Assuming for a moment the rangers would be even remotely interested in trading with the pens

The pens now have the cap space so that's not an issue.

What would be required to give up for get him?

Move hunwick and I think it could work out.

Reactions: NJPensFan5

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I wonder if somehow the pens could pull off McD from the rangers. Assuming for a moment the rangers would be even remotely interested in trading with the pens

The pens now have the cap space so that's not an issue.

What would be required to give up for get him?

Move hunwick and I think it could work out.
Very unlikely. And I think the Penguins should be done trading away prospects and 1st’s after this year, of which would be required in a McD deal. Going all in on the threepeat now is smart but then start to gear towards the future because Sid/Geno/Kessel/Letang will be in the tail end of there prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad