Defector: The Alex Mogilny Story

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
That was quite a story. I remember the excitement over his arrival and the great years that followed. That 76 goal year was something special.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Curious if this pissed off his red army team mates like Federov?

I'm sure it did no favors for their treatment as they likely all fell under some level of suspicion as a result. As Fedorov said, they were all questioned. He clearly projected that he wasn't happy about the defection at the time.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm sure it did no favors for their treatment as they likely all fell under some level of suspicion as a result. As Fedorov said, they were all questioned. He clearly projected that he wasn't happy about the defection at the time.

From what Fetisov said in Red Army, I sounds like the big issue was that Alex was the first guy to pull it off and they were all a bit jealous that they didn't get the same chance he did.

Fedorov had it a lot better than the older guys, like Fetisov, who never got to come over in their primes.

Fedorov turned 21yo during his rookie NHL season.

Fetisov was 31yo when he made his NHL debut.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0017871990.html

Look at all those good young players that got to come over only a year or two after Mogilny made his NHL debut. Who knows if they would have gotten to come over that soon if Mogilny didn't defect?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I still think it's crazy that the Red Army's top line at the time was Mogilny - Fedorov - Bure.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I wonder how hard they tried to contact Mogilny for this, or if he just didn't want to discuss it?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
From what Fetisov said in Red Army, I sounds like the big issue was that Alex was the first guy to pull it off and they were all a bit jealous that they didn't get the same chance he did.

Fedorov had it a lot better than the older guys, like Fetisov, who never got to come over in their primes.

Fedorov turned 21yo during his rookie NHL season.

Fetisov was 31yo when he made his NHL debut.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0017871990.html

Look at all those good young players that got to come over only a year or two after Mogilny made his NHL debut. Who knows if they would have gotten to come over that soon if Mogilny didn't defect?

What I said isn't about how Fedorov and others had it relative to older guys, it was about what likely happened as a result of Mogilny's defection. Like you said, jealousy likely played into any negative response the team had, as well having felt that Mogilny abandoned them as a team, but an immediate impact of his defection was that the team had to be questioned about their knowledge of Mogilny's actions as well as, I'm sure, an intended crackdown to prevent such a thing from happening again.

Of course, things changed rapidly after that, but I wouldn't ascribe much of it to Mogilny's defection. He left right after the World Championships, which ended May 1st. Hungary allowed the crossing of its borders into the West (Austria) in mid-August. GDR head Honecker resigned in October. The Berlin Wall effectively fell (was opened, somewhat inadvertently) on November 9th. In other words, the Iron Curtain ended in the months after Mogilny's defection with the Warsaw Pact falling apart in the months to come. The USSR itself dissolved in late 1991. I'd say that has more to do with anything than Mogilny having set a precedent or opened any doors. I say that with the fullest respect for what Mogilny did because it was awesome. It's one of the best off-ice hockey stories of all-time and he's my favorite player of all-time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad