Music: Def Leppard, Yeah or Nay and Categorization

Do you enjoy or not enjoy Def Leppard's music when you hear it?

• Total voters

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I just want to see what some general opinion's are of Def Leppard, their music (at peak and career), and how you categorize them muscially.

Personally, at their peak at least, they have this British arena hard pop rock sound that was so catchy and so commercially successful too that they left their stamp on me and apparently rock history (given some records they set, company they aligned with from this, and consistently high enough overall band rankings on rock and hard rock history charts all time). Hysteria is still a main stay in my repeat listening music collection.

What you think?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

I look at Def Leppard the way I look at most hair metal bands, they have some jams that I enjoy, but on the whole the discography mostly stinks.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am bias. I know two members of the band via a cousin who works for the band.

I like the band, prefer stuff from their earlier stuff(prior to Hysteria) but I enjoy their later stuff.

Two of my favourite songs are my first your face and Undefeated.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I used to like them quite a bit but over time I’ve become a bit tired of them. With that said, depending on the song and my mood, I can still sometimes enjoy their music quite a bit.

They were great through Pyromania (so not very long).

Admittedly, I also lost some respect for them when this happened. But that’s aside from my taste for their music.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I used to not care but I dig them now, however the stuff they put out in the early 90's Have you ever needed someone so bad? and Let's get Rocked probably would have been better off not being recorded at all IMO.

Reactions: Tryamw

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
To me, sub par pop/hair band (I wanna say "hair metal" but it's just so far from metal I can't do it) and mostly known for having the drummer with one arm.

I don't dislike them. They get heavy play on XM 39 and it's 50/50 whether I keep scrolling or not

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I am bias. I know two members of the band via a cousin who works for the band.

I like the band, prefer stuff from their earlier stuff(prior to Hysteria) but I enjoy their later stuff.

Two of my favourite songs are my first your face and Undefeated.

Ah I am Jealous. Def Leppard is my all-time number 1 favorite band. They were the first band I ever loved way back in 1989. Every album has its own sound. I try to see them live when ever they come around.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I mostly don't think about them. I can sometimes tolerate a few of their hits when I'm in a particular mood but other than that, meh. Props to the one armed drummer though.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Was the first band I fell in love with. I can listen to a bit from Hysteria and Adrenalize. But nothing beats the first 3 albums though. High N Dry is my favorite album from them but On Through the Night is severely underrated.

Unfortunately I think they lost a lot of their magic when Steve Clark died. He was a primary songwriter on all but like 3 or 4 songs on the first 4 albums.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Was the first band I fell in love with. I can listen to a bit from Hysteria and Adrenalize. But nothing beats the first 3 albums though. High N Dry is my favorite album from them but On Through the Night is severely underrated.

Unfortunately I think they lost a lot of their magic when Steve Clark died. He was a primary songwriter on all but like 3 or 4 songs on the first 4 albums.

High 'n' Dry is easily my favorite album of theirs. A bit more polished than the debut album but still with an aggressive edge.

I agree about Steve Clark too.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad