Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This drives me crazy.

I love Strudwick and love GYB, but I was rage driving listening to him crow on about the "low intensity start." We skated them into the ground for the first 10 mins and it only went the other way after they scored on the PP and we chose to soil ourselves over it.

It was the goalie on Sunday, it was the goalie yesterday, and it's still the goalie today. He's the only reason it isn't at least 2-1 Oilers in the series at the moment.
Yep. Seems like a lot of Ex Oilers have gotten their panties in a knot that the Oilers aren't playing the right way or something. Ironically guys like Struds too who were pretty hopeless, lets just be honest. He was on one of the worst teams and lets just say his toi wasn't making it one ounce better.

I never understood what people get in this guy, or Lowetide. They are just story tellers, are wrong most of the time, and their predictions of which players will be good are often wrong. They would draft worse than the Oilers do.

How would Struds feel watching Colorado essentially give up, just give up, on home ice yesterday losing both games of a home game set. I mean if the OIlers shit the bed today then we can say stuff. The Oilers have dominated 2 games in the series and could even be up 3-0 in games. Its been goaltending that has been the difference.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Can you provide a quick summary, especially on Schwartz? I never have time to listen to these shows anymore.
Yeah. He said he doesn't understand how Schwartz has been there for 10 years and hasn't been able to develop a single goalie- and in fact, when goalies come to the Oilers they usually regress. Then Stauffer chimes in and says "Mclelland spoke highly" and Frank cuts him off and says "I dont care who speaks highly of him- what has he done?". Then he proceeds to count out the coaching changes he survived. It was great

id rather have broberg in that ceci or stecher,

id even like 73 to play with 25 and let playoff kulak handle the ceci baby sitting
They ried that combo in the regular season- it made Kulak worse and made VD worse. Stetcher has pretty decent underlying metrics. Far superior than Ceci. You play him over Broberg every single day

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yep. Seems like a lot of Ex Oilers have gotten their panties in a knot that the Oilers aren't playing the right way or something. Ironically guys like Struds too who were pretty hopeless, lets just be honest. He was on one of the worst teams and lets just say his toi wasn't making it one ounce better.

I never understood what people get in this guy, or Lowetide. They are just story tellers, are wrong most of the time, and their predictions of which players will be good are often wrong. They would draft worse than the Oilers do.

How would Struds feel watching Colorado essentially give up, just give up, on home ice yesterday losing both games of a home game set. I mean if the OIlers shit the bed today then we can say stuff. The Oilers have dominated 2 games in the series and could even be up 3-0 in games. Its been goaltending that has been the difference.
Maybe you'll prefer this ex-Oilers take:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maybe you'll prefer this ex-Oilers take:

Looks like not. Its interesting how much the ex Oilers other than Coffey are snubbing the Oilers. Gretz is out watching his beloved Rangers in NY who he barely played for, what one or two seasons. Mess selling chips and being on TNT or whatever else.

its as if they've kind of separated again from the Oilers team. odd. They were around, and around, until they weren't.

Seeing Grets at every Rangers game. its his decision, can do what he likes but for other clubs the legendary greats show up in the stands for the team they mainly played for.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yeah. He said he doesn't understand how Schwartz has been there for 10 years and hasn't been able to develop a single goalie- and in fact, when goalies come to the Oilers they usually regress. Then Stauffer chimes in and says "Mclelland spoke highly" and Frank cuts him off and says "I dont care who speaks highly of him- what has he done?". Then he proceeds to count out the coaching changes he survived. It was great

They ried that combo in the regular season- it made Kulak worse and made VD worse. Stetcher has pretty decent underlying metrics. Far superior than Ceci. You play him over Broberg every single day
200w.gif

Frank just climbed a few rungs higher on my media like list. Spitting truth and facts. Hopefully the new GM cans him in the offseason.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Looks like not. Its interesting how much the ex Oilers other than Coffey are snubbing the Oilers. Gretz is out watching his beloved Rangers in NY who he barely played for, what one or two seasons. Mess selling chips and being on TNT or whatever else.

its as if they've kind of separated again from the Oilers team. odd. They were around, and around, until they weren't.

Seeing Grets at every Rangers game. its his decision, can do what he likes but for other clubs the legendary greats show up in the stands for the team they mainly played for.
I loved Messier the hockey player. Was one of my all time favourites. But post career I've kinda got tired of the schtick. Both he and Gretzky with age and distance (years and geographic) have become more American it seems with half their lives and earning careers south side. Still Oilers but not the rabid vocal supporters like a MacT for example. Both are also paid big time for their hockey opinions by league broadcast partners.

Not that I disagree with these Moose Droppings. Oilers have to ratchet up the intensity and physicality in the series. Showed it against the Kings but not consistency against the Canucks. Very my biggest surprise of this series.

Why does this McAfee guy keep getting posted here anyhow? Not going to watch this one with Messier slobbering over the team he got chased off, but the other one with Kane this Pat was absolute cringe, so imagine he is here too
It's easy to avoid. Don't click it. That said, I'm stunned that this guy has become a significant content driver for a major ... the major sports network. Posted in response to @Drivesaitl posting about ex-Oilers opinionating about this series.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Seriously, there is no way that Pickard can be much worse than no confidence Skinner. No confidence Skinner is ECHL quality. Just a busted table hockey goalie that is super hard to move, praying stuff hits him. We have to play near flawless defense to win with this version of Skinner.

Maybe Pickard in net will motivate these guys to put in that extra effort and be smarter with the puck in our end.
I was thinking this to...when they showed Skinner leading the walk from the dressing room to the ice, I did not like his body language. It was very subtle, but instead of I'm going to make this game my bitch, it seemed more like, I hope I got this.

Just my take

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
I loved Messier the hockey player. Was one of my all time favourites. But post career I've kinda got tired of the schtick. Both he and Gretzky with age and distance (years and geographic) have become more American it seems with half their lives and earning careers south side. Still Oilers but not the rabid vocal supporters like a MacT for example. Both are also paid big time for their hockey opinions by league broadcast partners.

Not that I disagree with these Moose Droppings. Oilers have to ratchet up the intensity and physicality in the series. Showed it against the Kings but not consistency against the Canucks. Very my biggest surprise of this series.

It's easy to avoid. Don't click it. That said, I'm stunned that this guy has become a significant content driver for a major ... the major sports network. Posted in response to @Drivesaitl posting about ex-Oilers opinionating about this series.

I know the name, but don't care enough about NFL (I think that's what he mostly talks about?) to be super familiar with the guy. Just came across as a bit of an idiot, debating Kane on Canadian fanbases "well, Pittsburgh with Crosby they're really loud" and then Kane saying "I went to playoff games there, it was alright". I can imagine this video was presented by the producers as some other clickbait

Reactions: TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I know the name, but don't care enough about NFL (I think that's what he mostly talks about?) to be super familiar with the guy. Just came across as a bit of an idiot, debating Kane on Canadian fanbases "well, Pittsburgh with Crosby they're really loud" and then Kane saying "I went to playoff games there, it was alright". I can imagine this video was presented by the producers as some other clickbait
"Growing the game." Clearly about extending NHL reach to prospective crossover audiences with this guy's popularity and reach. Not my jam but one thing I actually find interesting is he's getting his eyes open to the tough, physicality of this sport. Anywho, my post was more about another ex-Oiler pov on this series, a guy not a so-called plug and one no longer rooted in this market.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Disagree. Pickard is much more mobile, quicker moving across, can make reaction saves and is good to decent at handling the puck. What you sacrifice in size with Pickard you get in skillsets. I do think Pickard also better in looking around screens or anticipation. Just a fundamentally decent goalie whereas Skinner is suspect.

I'm thrilled if Pickard is in.

Have people been watching Pickard? What games has he been bad in? Seems like he's been reasonably reliable and to those that say he's only facing poor teams its not accurate and in anycase can only be judged against the teams he's playing.

Through 7 games now Skinner has been poor against Vancouver. How much more sample would we need? Nucks have the book on how to solve Skinner, it happens.

I'm happy they are giving him a chance too. He's plain and simple a better shot stopper.

I do think Pickard has issues with: i) rebound control, ii) overcommitting, iii) disagree, he's not better looking through screens IMO.

But 1v1 I think he makes the save more than Skinner, so if we are ok with a little more chaos then we made the right choice here. It could even help us if the game gets a bit more wild and unpredictable. We are a better improvising team than a systems team... less thought, more instinct could work in our favor overall and turn the game into a bit more of a track meet... which favors our talent.

Also... just so peeved we didn't give Campbell a few games down the stretch to see if he could be an option. I said it before, will say it again... he had better stats than Skinner when he was sent down... he was sacrificed out of desperation and necessity. Our entire team was terrible in that stretch, including BOTH goalies AND our team defense... not just Campbell.

If it were my call, Campbell would be the backup... at this point there is no point in shielding Skinner's confidence. He's not really playing with any anyway... put in Pickard, pull him quick for Campbell if necessary... confidence and nerves be damned... Vancouver's on their third-stringer, so whoever's adrenaline kicks in gets the next start.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Why does this McAfee guy keep getting posted here anyhow? Not going to watch this one with Messier slobbering over the team he got chased off, but the other one with Kane this Pat was absolute cringe, so imagine he is here too
Guy is such a loser. You were a punter, f***ing congrats. Every bro in the world seems to have this guys junk in his mouth. I don't get it at all.

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Guy is such a loser. You were a punter, f***ing congrats. Every bro in the world seems to have this guys junk in his mouth. I don't get it at all.

Is he the persona that Bizz models himself after? Lol

• Haha

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Grets is certainly comfortable being an ambassador for gambling. Granted McDavid as well but he's young and the money is probably stupid.

Wasn't the current Vancouver coach caught up in some gambling ring thing?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just start firing people now. Get a head start.

Imagine if we went against Marc Spectors advice and fired Holland mid-season? The disarray it would have caused. And we wouldn't have Carrick, Henrique and Stecher. And some lunatic might have disrupted the bro energy in the room by trading Ceci. Good thing we kept Holland. Hopefully we get Holland again leading our draft before he goes off victorious into the sunset with his $25M.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

Struds knows hockey and he is right imo

Even when the oilers are outshooting the Canucks 20-1 the high danger chances are about even. That's not a goalie problem, or PDO, or unsustainable shooting percentages.

Wish the goalie could make a save for sure, and goaltending has been the difference so far, but how are the HDC even close after 4 games if we have had the puck 70% of the time?

Oilers forwards are playing on the outside too often and big mistakes are gifting high percentage shots. That's just not a winning formula

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

In the bigger picture it's actually concerning that there are enough people that find enough value in what he says to listen to him daily as their primary sports content source.

The fact that listening to carnival barking seems to be the content of choice for so many kind of speaks to where people are at nowadays. Listening to some airhead bark out their dumb opinions seems to be creme de la creme content.

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad