Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
To be fair, the question he was responding to (asked by Gregor) was "You're not facing a lot of shots, can that sometimes be more challenging?" Skinner essentially responded "yes, sometimes, but that's my job and I've got to be better".

I don't think it was a terrible answer, it's not like he spontaneously brought that up himself. Honestly our media asks some of the dumbest effing questions sometimes.
Yup. It’s pretty much the answer that every goalie gives, that sometimes it’s better to have a few more shots to stay active and in the game.

Reactions: brentashton

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Fans need to quiet down at home games so Stuart can get a hold of his anxiety. Have his therapist give him quick sessions inbetween whistles.
Oilers need to get him VR goggles to augment puck tracking and our players can't make 1 single mistake.
With those changes I'm sure we can get .850 from him

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Guy in my office is a huge basketball fan. Doesn't really follow hockey much but "knows who mcdavid is".

Anyways he watched the game and dropped the proverbial "NBA would never let that happen to Lebron".

I said yeah well I honeslty believe people like you saying that all day are going to shame them into action.

How a useless plug like soucay can cross check in the face the best player in the world and then they wonder why world series of poker gets more viewers.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
For line changes outside of the obvious one in net

Foegele out
McLeod out

Sam Gagner in
Adam Erne in

If you aren’t scoring, at least be involved physically. I like McLeod’s ability to skate the puck out and his defence, but Perry is standing in front of the net and getting in scrums and while Foegele McLeod just skating around

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Yup, Rick Talk-shit’s antics are a sideshow that will be exposed as is by a team that has a goalie that can stop a puck here or there (hopefully this team, but it might be too late).
Oh don't worry we'll trade for a goalie as soon as Leon is gone. These guys can never get their shit to line up in sync.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
What do we do guys? Series is 2-1 but how do we win this?

If Skinner can somehow, out of nowhere, just SOMEHOW find his game, we can win this series. That's the only way.
At the start of the season I was clear that I wasn’t a fan based on his previous season’s work and the pancake he threw down in the playoffs last year. I would have sent him down during the team’s swoon in October just to see if Campbell could help turn things around. It wouldn’t have hurt to have done so. But that ship sailed.

During the season he had his ups and downs, as did the team. Then the playoffs started and he was one of the key question marks by most pundits and rightly so. In the first series I was on his ass for 2 meh games but then he had came back with a strong single game performance and I recanted my desire to see him out of the net.

Not gonna happen again this time.

I don’t want to see him anywhere near a net unless he’s working for the ice crew and moving them around Rogers for real NHL goaltenders.

Like Daltrey said, “won’t get fooled again”.

Now that’s a performance.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Fans need to quiet down at home games so Stuart can get a hold of his anxiety. Have his therapist give him quick sessions inbetween whistles.
Oilers need to get him VR goggles to augment puck tracking and our players can't make 1 single mistake.
With those changes I'm sure we can get .850 from him

Apparently they're not making enough mistakes now and its making it hard for him to get into the games.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Guy in my office is a huge basketball fan. Doesn't really follow hockey much but "knows who mcdavid is".

Anyways he watched the game and dropped the proverbial "NBA would never let that happen to Lebron".

I said yeah well I honeslty believe people like you saying that all day are going to shame them into action.

How a useless plug like soucay can cross check in the face the best player in the world and then they wonder why world series of poker gets more viewers.
The league and US media doesn’t care about players or teams in Canada. The US network that broadcast the game did so remotely from their Atlanta studios. Can’t even be bothered to do a divisional final featuring Cdn teams with a crew at the game. Didn’t even know we had switched goalies till partway thru the period. It is what it is, we are nothing but an inconvenience at this point.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Apparently they're not making enough mistakes now and its making it hard for him to get into the games.

Tinfoil hat here

They know what's up and have marching orders from their masters (or even Katz himself) to deflect attention from goaltending and Schwartzy

• Haha
Reactions: iCanada

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The league and US media doesn’t care about players or teams in Canada. The US network that broadcast the game did so remotely from their Atlanta studios. Can’t even be bothered to do a divisional final featuring Cdn teams with a crew at the game. Didn’t even know we had switched goalies till partway thru the period. It is what it is, we are nothing but an inconvenience at this point.
I'd agree if we are playing Chicago. We're playing an even more irrelevant Canadian hockey team. Actual hockey fans in America now mcdavid not soucy or Calvin pickard.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yup. It’s pretty much the answer that every goalie gives, that sometimes it’s better to have a few more shots to stay active and in the game.
Very True.

Stu always seems like a smart guy in interviews. He needs to read the room better. No one wants him seeing more rubber (even if he, inwardly, believes that’s part of the solution for him).

Reactions: bellagiobob

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
We did not get this.

1715643510868.png

Very True.

Stu always seems like a smart guy in interviews. He needs to read the room better. No one wants him seeing more rubber (even if he, inwardly, believes that’s part of the solution for him).
That's how they pick their goalies. Via IQ test. PHD is a bonus too.

Reactions: brentashton

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I’m honestly surprised Soucy was suspended, the only reason he made contact with McDavid’s face is because Zadorov clobbered Connor with a cross check from behind. If anything I thought Zadorov should face discipline for being the third man in the scuffle and dumping Connor with that dangerous cross check from behind.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Watching Rangers-Hurricanes.

6 shots apiece and they’ve nearly ALL been high danger chances.

The score is 0-0.

Goalies are allowed to make saves on defensive breakdowns and even great teams make defensive mistakes.

No see, you don't understand. They're letting up good scoring chances, but they have better "defense."

We just need to find this "defense."

I think it's when Pickard is in net?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Stolen from Reddit (credit bokchoykn)

Phase 3 is going to be lit (no pun intended). Hopefully it's within the next week
It’s so annoying how it’s complete indifference 95% of the time. They all thought they’d be out of the playoffs this season, I was talking up their own team to them in pre season.

I’m hearing neighbors cheer Nucks goals for the first time EVER. I’ve lived in my apartment for 8 years!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No see, you don't understand. They're letting up good scoring chances, but they have better "defense."

We just need to find this "defense."

I think it's when Pickard is in net?
I watched the Rangers give up a wide open look in front 10 seconds into the game that likely would have resulted in a goal against Skinner. We would’ve been all over the team for bad defense but the reality is even elite teams give up great chances.

Andersen made a similar save not even five minutes later.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

How a useless plug like soucay can cross check in the face the best player in the world and then they wonder why world series of poker gets more viviewers.
To me it feels like the vicious crosscheck from behind is barely even being talked about. I'd argue that was deliberate intent to injure on the world's beamst player. You can't defend yourself when a guy uses his stick and tries to snap your back in half. The game is over too.

If Mcdavid lays there and needs help getting off the ice that's a suspension. So he doesn't embellish and that clown walks away with a 5k fine? You gotta be f***ing kidding me. So for me that gives any Oiler a free pass to try to break someone's back in half once the game is over.

That's the punishment set by the league so let's go hunting! This is how you lose control of a series too and how someone really gets hurt.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Watching Rangers-Hurricanes.

6 shots apiece and they’ve nearly ALL been high danger chances.

The score is 0-0.

Goalies are allowed to make saves on defensive breakdowns and even great teams make defensive mistakes.
Wait what? Saving high danger chances is a thing?

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Who knows. It's just so f***ing sad that management has put the team into a situation where they either start a goalie who currently has the worst playoff save percentage in the salary cap era, or a 32 year old goalie who has only started 3 total playoff games at any level in this pro career with only 1 win. Even in junior Pickard started 5 total playoff games going 1-4. He literally has zero experience in this type of situation despite being a 12 year pro.

This is why I'm still pissed they didn't try Campbell in a game or two in that final week where they played 5 in 7 days.,
Beyond goaltending, is it too much to ask for ANYONE NOT ON THE MCDAVID LINE TO ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING AT 5 ON 5?! Every single season is the same damn story. If you're an opposing team, there's a clear formula for beating the Oilers: stay out of the box, hang on for dear life while McDavid is on the ice, and then cave the rest of our lines. If we play a team with offensive depth, it becomes a question of whether McDavid/Draisaitl can outscore their top players by a wide enough margin to compensate for how badly the rest of our roster is getting killed. 5 years into the McDavid era, this organization still hasn't been able to find anyone who can outscore their opponents at 5 on 5 if they're not on the ice with one or McDrai. Kane-Nuge-Foegele make a combined a $13.25 million and are a combined 5 GF-10 GA at 5 on 5. Nurse and Ceci make $12.5 million and are a combined 2 GF-10 GA at 5 on 5.

We have pissed away some of the prime years of the best player on the planet through our inability to find any kind of impactful supporting cast. If we lose this series, Holland's narrative of needing to limit roster change to build chemistry needs to die, and some hard questions need to be asked about this teams supporting cast.

Reactions: Kerberos

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It’s so annoying how it’s complete indifference 95% of the time. They all thought they’d be out of the playoffs this season, I was talking up their own team to them in pre season.

I’m hearing neighbors cheer Nucks goals for the first time EVER. I’ve lived in my apartment for 8 years!
You need to relocate to a better neighborhood .

;)

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
...and a cash cow, what does your boss Katz think about his revenue sharing dividends?

It's pretty f***ing sweet I bet with the revenue generated from gambling advertisement.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The PDO parade (that I seem to recall you came here to express your skepticism about earlier in the regular season) continues.

Skinner’s save % is embarrassing, and his defenders and a lot of outsiders will claim it’s all “poor defense” but his expected goals against is atrocious and he’s given away 3 games out of 8 so far this playoffs.

Can watch any other series and see every goalie making difficult saves. Skinner is good for a softy or two each game and this is not the first playoffs it’s happened

The Cloutier comparison is more than apt

Just need one of these by Hughes or Zadorov to complete the comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad