Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
VD has been a ghost. 0 hits 0 physicality this playoffs. He has the Lucic mean stare down pat but he’s got eggs in his shoulder pads and his gloves are welded on.

But at least he’s not making 9.25 like our supposed leader on D whose been as quiet as a church mouse.

But at least he’s not Cody Now You Ceci Now You Don’t who for the reportedly strongest guy on the team is an absolute muffin on the ice.

Foegele and McCloed are the invisible men. Those 2 are everything that’s wrong with the Oilers bottom 9 in a nutshell.

Ryan Nohit Hopkins is yet again disappearing in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

Perry other than last night has been a non event. Kane has not imposed his will whatsoever but he is a guy who thrives on ice time which he’s not getting. Zadorov is completely running his show.

Holloway can’t get traction as he doesn’t have a set line. Carrick our one true physical forward isn’t being played. Henrique has been hurt. Gagner has heart but hasn’t been given a chance.

At least Derek Ryan has showed a pulse but his skills are waning. His spear to the nether regions on Hoglander has been the only show of heart and character outside the top line thus far.

Skinner has been dogshit this series and is now statistically the worst goaltender in the cap era come playoff time.

KK playing the top line 30 minutes a game ensures they will be out of gas by the next series - if we get past the Canucks. 3 coaches prior have essentially stacked these guys together come playoff time but KK has doubled even that down going 30! minutes a night for them which is completely unsustainable.

That all said - I’m not worried. We still beat the Canucks in 6. I bet my underwear on it and I’ve been red hot lately.

View attachment 870013
This is the fraud that is Vinny. He's actually always been soft and not very physical, outside of occasionally clearing the front of the net. He's too slow and terrible to break a cycle and just tries to hold people behind the net lightly.He's never actually been a physical menace. He's a huge 6'7 dman that doesn't make life difficult for the opposition, and is too slow and terrible to have good stick checking.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
For those wanting pickard to start, he only started 4 games this season against playoff teams, in those 4 games his save % ranged from .827 to .875

Now add in playoff intensity, ehh
Skinner has been pretty bad...but pickard is a career backup. I'd feel better giving campbell a try over pickard in a must win game.
You don't know till they are given the chance... I am positive most Canuck fans were probably terrified when Silovs was called into duty.. Skinner seems like he needs more mental rest to me...

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Pickard in.
Broberg in for Ceci.
Carrick in for Ryan.
Gagner in for Brown.
We don't have the guns. We have the superior players in McDavid, Draisaitl and Ekholm and the Canucks target them, with Connor to the extreme with cowardly non-hockey plays.

Expecting the bottom six forwards or our bottom 4 defenseman to play above their counterparts on the Canucks is virtually impossible.

The game isn't rigged per se but I sure don't believe what we have is the best Holland could have done.

We're getting screwed by an organization where getting screwed and screwing others is the speciality.

The Oilers are partners with the NHL and their sponsors. They have no allegiances and show no accountability to the fans or paying customers.

If Bouchard can step up and be the player so many on this board believe he is, we have a shot.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
McLeod gets a pass? He's been gawd awful !! Softest player on the team....and that's saying something with this crew.
I think his defensive game is all that's keeping him in the lineup. That and that amazing perimeter play and last night once the whistle blew I saw him pretend like he was rushing to the front of the net.

When you think big time playoff performers that will sacrifice their body to win you think of guys like Jason Smith, Igor Ulanov, Ryan Smyth and of course Ryan McLeod!

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You can’t play Campbell. I’d you had any designs on that you should have called him up and played him a couple games at the end of the year just to see if he could survive.
It's the only viable option at this point.

Saying "no" is you being headstrong.

Awaiting the snappy comeback.

Reactions: OilersaretheMcBest

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
You don't know till they are given the chance... I am positive most Canuck fans were probably terrified when Silovs was called into duty.. Skinner seems like he needs more mental rest to me...
Vancouver has the best goalie coach in the game (alongside Burke) in Ian Clarke. Oilers have Schwartz

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Hypothetical. PIckard gets the next start and the Oilers go on to win the series.

Oilers eventually win the championship with Pickard starting the entire rest of the way.

In the offseason, he wants 3 mil per to re-sign for multiple years.

Do the Oilers re-sign their cup winning goalie or go with Skinner and someone else next year?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Hypothetical. PIckard gets the next start and the Oilers go on to win the series.

Oilers eventually win the championship with Pickard starting the entire rest of the way.

Do the Oilers re-sign their cup winning goalie or go with Skinner and someone else next year?
He takes us to the cup you sign him and roll him with skinner as the back up.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I posted this in the post game thread, but after Skinner's presser today- you cannot play him. He said "he got caught up in the emotions". To me, that sounds like a fancy way of saying the pressure has gotten to him- and he is folding under it. For him to say "I'll learn from it" is total BS. He is struggling with the mental side of the game (he also mentioned goaltending is largely mental) and isn't something you fix with the flip of the switch. To me, it's a clear message to the coaches- do not play him. IF they start him now, it's 100% on the staff for being totally out of tune with his bench.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018

Loan Skinner to the echl

• Haha
Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Calvin played last night (only a few shots I know), he's been on the bench with the guys, the team LOVES the guy, I believe they will go to battle for the guy! Jack has let them down soooo many times in 2 seasons, Pickard is the guy
The team also loves Jack and said they felt they let him down. He also had better numbers than Stu and was only sent down because of his contract. Oilers paid 5M for this guy- I think they need to give him a run. Pickard has zero playoff experience. None.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Vancouver has the best goalie coach in the game (alongside Burke) in Ian Clarke. Oilers have Schwartz
Or they are f***ing loaded because the NHL wanted them to be f***ing loaded at that position

Also to have double the depth of the Edmonton Oilers.

Who gives a flying f*** is Soucy gets suspended because they'll have a superior player waiting to play in the wings.

Same old story, the league never tires of it.

Let's not forget about the leagues latest posterboy to jerk off to, Rick Tocchet

Awaiting the snappy comeback. Have it something to do with Bouchard if you like.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
The team also loves Jack and said they felt they let him down. He also had better numbers than Stu and was only sent down because of his contract. Oilers paid 5M for this guy- I think they need to give him a run. Pickard has zero playoff experience. None.
He has 1 period and has never let a goal in haha! I. Seriousness though, I just can't see Knob trusting Campbell at all. He will look at his last playoff game in a league below the NHL and see 5 gaa and an .857 save pctg.

Maybe just maybe if he didn't shit the bed in that game they'd consider him but I'd say he will never play another game for the Oilers (barring injury) and will be bought out.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
Or they are f***ing loaded because the NHL wanted them to be f***ing loaded at that position

Also to have double the depth of the Edmonton Oilers.

Who gives a flying f*** is Soucy gets suspended because they'll have a superior player waiting to play in the wings.

Same old story, the league never tires of it.

Let's not forget about the leagues latest posterboy to jerk off to, Rick Tocchet

Awaiting the snappy comeback. Have it something to do with Bouchard if you like.
Lets not go full crazy here....

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
I posted this in the post game thread, but after Skinner's presser today- you cannot play him. He said "he got caught up in the emotions". To me, that sounds like a fancy way of saying the pressure has gotten to him- and he is folding under it. For him to say "I'll learn from it" is total BS. He is struggling with the mental side of the game (he also mentioned goaltending is largely mental) and isn't something you fix with the flip of the switch. To me, it's a clear message to the coaches- do not play him. IF they start him now, it's 100% on the staff for being totally out of tune with his bench.
This is bang on how I feel too.... 'Specially after what we saw of him last year... They need someone other then Skinner in net tomorrow.. Listening to Leon's comments after the game yesterday I think you need a new guy in net for the players in front of him as well... Good chance there is frustration in the skaters...

Reactions: foshizzle

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Bottom 6 will never not be useless and goaltending ain't gonna improve. Same story, different year.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Its time to open up a new (but slightly dinted) can of soup.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I know we’re all happy that McLeod can play defensive hockey but my god we need him to piss a drop of offence from him and that line.
He’s not tough or physical either so he really doesn’t do much as a 3rd line C.

8 games played 0-0-0 and a -2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad