Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
I will never forgive this org for pissing away the heart of McDrai's career with Ken f**king Holland at the tiller. One good trade and one good signing in five years. Unbelievable.
It's incredible how quickly the McDavid/Draisaitl era has flown by. Unless the new GM can work some magic with some albatross contracts, it's not going to be easy to fix the defence, goaltending and depth scoring (which have been issues for years).

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Pickard is athletic and will do good with a team getting around 20 shots a game. Skinner just drops to butterfly and is motionless hoping the puck hits him

I seriously wonder if the whole chatter about him being overweight and too big/heavy for his own good was legit. Most 6'4 goalies in the league ~200-205 lbs. Skinner is like ~230 lb according to NHL site. It's no wonder hes always falling flat on his ass

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Z should be the one with a hearing rather than Soucy, imo. Z’s hit was a cowardly cheapshot cross check from behind, while McD was engaged with Soucy. I don’t think Soucy was aiming for McD’s neck or higher - Z’s cheapshot caused that.
100%

Very surprised the focus isn't on the cheap cross check from behind. After the final horn. McDavid initiated and exchanged with Soucey as the game ended. It was Zadorov's non-hockey cowardly cross check after the horn that put McDavid in jeopardy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He says he has to learn from mistakes but he never does. Once he’s spiralling he just gets worse.
I'm as down on Skinner as anybody right now but what else can he say? The guy is probably battling some serious mental demons right now so I don't know what can be said to please the fanbase at this point. He owned up to it in this scrum so now it's time for action if he gets the net again which I suspect he will, words don't mean much anymore no matter what he says.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
For those wanting pickard to start, he only started 4 games this season against playoff teams, in those 4 games his save % ranged from .827 to .875

Now add in playoff intensity, ehh
Skinner has been pretty bad...but pickard is a career backup. I'd feel better giving campbell a try over pickard in a must win game.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'm as down on Skinner as anybody right now but what else can he say? The guy is probably battling some serious mental demons right now so I don't know what can be said to please the fanbase at this point. He owned up to it in this scrum so now it's time for action if he gets the net again which I suspect he will, words don't mean much anymore no matter what he says.
I agree. I’m just saying he always says he’s going to learn and he hasn’t yet.

The Oilers riding a struggling Skinner to a 2nd round exit again would be insane. I think you are right though the Oilers are that stubborn and start Skin.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
For those wanting pickard to start, he only started 4 games this season against playoff teams, in those 4 games his save % ranged from .827 to .875

Skinner has been pretty bad...but pickard is a career backup. I'd feel better giving campbell a try over pickard in a must win game.
It gives them a shot at something better than what Skinner has done, we are all living on hope at this point and we know Skinner is cooked. We're at the you gotta try something different stage or this run ends in the 2nd round with Skinner as the starter....again

Reactions: TB12

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
It's incredible how quickly the McDavid/Draisaitl era has flown by. Unless the new GM can work some magic with some albatross contracts, it's not going to be easy to fix the defence, goaltending and depth scoring (which have been issues for years).
Duder54, it's by design. Otherwise to the contrary is statistically impossible.

Every problem that the Oilers have now was discussed in the offseason.

Those voices were ridiculed, drowned out with vengeance. I'm not at all surprised 5 prominent posters, possibly amongst the most informed, no longer post here. Why would they stay?

Welcome to the Bettman show. Where you get f***ed raw decade after decade.

Last edited:

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

If he gives us that range in this series Oilers are up 2-1 at worst. That's how f***ing horrific Skinner has been. The moustache has put up 2 games that start with .7xx!!

I don't think Campbell is even with the team.

Reactions: frag2

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018

If we got .827 to .875
We'd be up 3-0

???

Reactions: Kerberos

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I nominate you for Coach! I like every single move you propose
Let me add that I think Skinner on average is better, but he isn't delivering. The gentle support treatment has not worked for two playoffs now. Piss Skinner off. You can put him back in eventually. The rest of the team needs a kick in the rear too.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

.827 to .875 would be an improvement right now.
Campbell gave up 5 goals in....the AHL!!! playoffs, he ain't it.
Pickard likely isn't "it" either but Skinner needs to sit a game to recharge the mental batteries because he's a mental mess right now. Pickard at the very least should calm things a bit more back there and he also seems to move the puck better which could fuel their transition game.

Reactions: elmeroil

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Pickard is 0-2-1 lifetime against the Canucks but has a .917 and 2.64 GAA.

The Oilers need a split at home now to have a chance in the series. They can’t roll the dice on Skinner, who is 1-4 with an .855 and 4.04 against the Canucks. Pickard has to get the nod and ride the hot hand if he wins.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017

I am ok with Campbell too. I don't really care too much about numbers from months ago. What are Skinner's numbers for the last 3 weeks?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

So you're saying he has a better SP then Skinner has in this series?

Reactions: elmeroil

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I am ok with Campbell too. I don't really care too much about numbers from months ago. What are Skinner's numbers for the last 3 weeks?
If it was Skinner vs Campbell I'd think Campbell would get the nod but Pickard's been the backup for the majority of the season so I can't see them going with a 5 million dollar goalie that played himself off the team and struggled a lot in the AHL.

His confidence has to be shot too and that's why I'd go with Pickard all day at the moment. He has the most confidence of the 3 until further notice. Playing Campbell reminds me of them trying to get his confidence going for 2 straight years. The 2nd round is not the place to do that.

I can live with a 2nd round loss at least trying to play Pickard a lot more than letting either Skinner or Campbell try to find their form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad