Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I know it sounds crazy, but maybe Campbell?? He was good when he came in last year after Skinner was pulled (4 times!). At least he has some playoff experience, unlike Pickard.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Why would you take Vinny out and not the guy who’s -8 in 8 games?
Well I would but they're clearly in love with that dude so he's not coming out. Playoffs are about adjustments and letting hungry players have a chance, there's 0 reason to not have Stecher in next game but I don't think they're high on him. Makes perfect sense to grab him at the deadline and let him rot in the PB

Reactions: TB12

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The fact that this is even a discussion just tells you that the defense isn't what we thought it was.

It shouldn't be a discussion. Ceci has been atrocious with perhaps the only aside being that the -8 isn't really fair because Skinner can't stop a f***ing beach ball.

But get rid of Ceci, get rid of Skinner. They don't even deserve to ride the pine on the bench right now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know it sounds crazy, but maybe Campbell?? He was good when he came in last year after Skinner was pulled (4 times!). At least he has some playoff experience, unlike Pickard.

You can’t play Campbell. I’d you had any designs on that you should have called him up and played him a couple games at the end of the year just to see if he could survive.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It shouldn't be a discussion. Ceci has been atrocious with perhaps the only aside being that the -8 isn't really fair because Skinner can't stop a f***ing beach ball.

But get rid of Ceci, get rid of Skinner. They don't even deserve to ride the pine on the bench right now.
And yet only the Nurse/Ceci pairing is struggling. Sometimes the struggles go hand in hand.

The majority of this board was screaming for a defense/goaltending upgrade from the GM after last year's playoffs ended but here we are.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
And yet only the Nurse/Ceci pairing is struggling. Sometimes the struggles go hand in hand.

The majority of this board was screaming for a defense/goaltending upgrade from the GM after last year's playoffs ended but here we are.

You're preaching to the choir.

I've been saying for over a year we needed to upgrade Ceci and goaltending.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Skinner or Picard (or Campbell???)
Split McDrai up or keep the nuclear option?
Carrick or Ryan?
Henrique ok to play or not?
Foegele or Gagner or Brown?
Ceci or Stetcher?
Kane or Hyman on the top line?

Here are my answers even though it might look like panic moves but we have only 5 players going right now - the top pair and the top line.

Picard- can’t trust Stu anymore
Split up McDrai - can’t win with one line
Carrick
Hope Henrique is good to go
Gagner
Stetcher
Hyman

RNH McDavid Hyman
Kane Draisaitl Holloway
Henrique McLoed Perry
Janmark Carrick Gagner

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Stetcher
Kulak VD

Picard
Campbell

Skinner gets the press box to refocus.
Skinner or Picard (or Campbell???) - For me it's Campbell, but I understand why Pickard would be the pick.

Split McDrai up or keep the nuclear option? - The team was up 4-1 with them on separate lines. Have only led in game for 3 full minutes since reuniting them.
Carrick or Ryan? - I've no issue with Ryan's game, but Carrick should draw in. But maybe for Brown instead.
Henrique ok to play or not? - I have no idea.
Foegele or Gagner or Brown? - Probably still Foegele, but would love to see Gagner get a chance to score his first ever playoff goal.
Ceci or Stetcher? - Why is this even a question?
Kane or Hyman on the top line? - Hyman all day, every day.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

It goes two fold and is an interesting discussion on trust.
Nurse and Ceci play like crap and help deflect pucks in the net. Skinner shaky in those but not his fault entirely then let’s in goals that are hie fault. Together too many goals are going in so the rest of your team starts playing outside of the system a bit to try and compensate for their lack of trust that the goalie can make a save…which leads to being out of position and some high danger chances going in. It builds up and magnifies.

You have to go with Pickard so the team can reset, settle and get back to their game. Like even if you think Skinner overall is the better goalie. You just can’t justify playing him game 4.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
guys, i know everyone is upset about skinner, i am too to a degree. But i have full confidence he will bounce back in game 4. do you know how i am so confident about it? Dustin Schwartz will have a talk with him "have you thought maybe stopping the puck instead of whatever you are doing?"

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You're preaching to the choir.

I've been saying for over a year we needed to upgrade Ceci and goaltending.
My biggest thing about upgrading Ceci is Nurse seems to get worse by the month at this point and Ceci even when playing well can’t cover for Nurse. But you upgrade Ceci no matter what cause we are stuck with Nurse.
I’m just super worried that this off season the only D change up is a vet 7 D and replacing Kulak with Broberg and an overpaid Desharnais extension.

Jack's played more recently than Pickard. Granted it's was AHL, but it's two weeks vs. three if comparing them.
It’s a tough one. Guys like Pickard are used to going long stretches without playing. Backups are good at that. Guys who are used to playing a bunch have more issues after long stretches off.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Just another year in the Mcdrai era and another year we dont have the supporting cast to win the cup. Dont get your hopes up. Just like last year we will ride Skinner till we lose

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
We know McDrai doesn’t work. Like it’s a fact it doesn’t. He’s gotta split them up.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Even beyond the obvious goaltending issue, the lineup needs a serious overhaul. I know they've scored goals but it's been the same guys and it's been mostly on the PP.

First of all, split McDavid and Draisaitl. Having Casper Nugent-Hopkins centering a top 6 line is coaching malpractice. The 2nd line becomes like a 4th line offensively when he's centering it.
Also, I'd sit Perry or Foegele. I think they need Foegele's speed in the lineup so I vote for Perry. Put Lavoie in or Gagner or anybody with fresh legs and hunger to bring a spark to the lineup because Perry is beyond cooked, he's burnt BBQ chicken.
Carrick needs to be in the lineup. Yeah, he wasn't great when he was last in but the 4th line was functioning well with him as full time center and he brings some bite to the lineup that Ryan just can't provide, and I love Derek Ryan.

Just try something ANYTHING different, Trotting out the same lineups and getting nothing from your bottom 9 for many games now clearly isn't doing the trick so much like playing Pickard instead of Skinner, can it get any worse? It can only get better one would think.

Oh and why not, just for one game, try Stecher with Nurse and let Ceci view a game from the pressbox. What is this utter attachment to the Nurse-Ceci pairing from multiple coaches. Completely bizarre. It ain't working and you paid a 4th for Stecher so why not try something different. I swear, these coaches from Tippett to Woodcroft to Knoblauch have pretty much zero roster adaption creativity outside of the default to McDrai and play them like half the game. Much like the GM, show some creativity for a change.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Just another year in the Mcdrai era and another year we dont have the supporting cast to win the cup. Dont get your hopes up. Just like last year we will ride Skinner till we lose

I will never forgive this org for pissing away the heart of McDrai's career with Ken f**king Holland at the tiller. One good trade and one good signing in five years. Unbelievable.

Reactions: Duder54

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I know people are calling for Campbell (personally I'd go Pickard) but is Soup even with the team? Pretty sure they called up Rodrigue as the EBUG and Soup isn't even in Edmonton practicing with the team.

Or am I an idiot and missed this?

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad