December BOG meeting. Seattle update and more.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

“How you draw that line between motivational coaching and personal abuse, you have to be careful because I think you run the danger of diluting the real abuse or minimizing real abuse,’’ the Eastern Conference governor said.

“I don’t think the league has any place in telling coaches how to coach,’’ he added. “I do, however, think there are lines that can be crossed that are racially, sexually, gender-based … I think there are lines that are crossed in those directions. But I don’t think we’ve reached the point yet where you’re not allowed to yell at a player.’’

And that’s going to be the crux of all of this. Where is the line? What can the majority of players, coaches, GMs, club presidents and owners agree is a safe and acceptable work environment?

Tricky to navigate. Hopefully can set good limit which will eliminate worse abuse and go toward only yelling?

(Paywall articles @ The Athletic)

BOG members meeting in Pebble Beach, CA.

Let the speculation begin

Last edited:

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Yelling is fine but radical slur is not. There ought to be some sort of accountability to players for failure to perform or failure to obey the coach's wishes but it ahs to be addressed what sort of accountability is acceptable amongst BOG, NHL and NHLPA. You can't let the asylum runs the inmate. The issue that the high salary caused players to do whatever he wants with guaranteed salary and knowing that he will get paid regardless of what would happen to him if they choose to ignore coaches in the room.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Bettman statement

Edit:

States they will be working with coaches and players unions to formulate strategy.

GMs, AGMs, HC, ACs, and all NHL-contracted minor league coaches will be required to do annual training on inclusivity and diversity. (Program will be put together by professional organization contracted to league.)

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL rules out possibility of World Cup in 2021
There won't be a best-on-best international hockey tournament for the foreseeable future.

NHL Now with Friedman made it sound like they ran out of time to put tournament together without "rest" (Olympics) of international calendar set. Perhaps 2024 next opportunity. Now to find host for 2021 ASG. My guess is it might be team that was overlooked or something; perhaps Vegas?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
NHL rules out possibility of World Cup in 2021
There won't be a best-on-best international hockey tournament for the foreseeable future.

NHL Now with Friedman made it sound like they ran out of time to put tournament together without "rest" (Olympics) of international calendar set. Perhaps 2024 next opportunity. Now to find host for 2021 ASG. My guess is it might be team that was overlooked or something; perhaps Vegas?

Can we just kill the damn concept of ever having a hockey World Cup? Like, ever?

I know it was a big dream once upon a time, but there have been so many start and stops, and the last World Cup that did happen was such a disaster. I mean, "Team North America" when we already had Canadian and USA players (I know it was age based, but c'mon)?

Reactions: powerstuck

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I still like the idea of a World Cup similar to the old Canada Cups. The best of the big 6 in 1 tournament once every 2-4 yrs. would be good IMO.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Tricky to navigate. Hopefully can set good limit which will eliminate worse abuse and go toward only yelling?

(Paywall articles @ The Athletic)

BOG members meeting in Pebble Beach, CA.

Let the speculation begin

I get what they mean with that last quote and what you refer to — but from my POV, I really don’t think it’s a line that is hard to draw.

When hockey people, like Chelios in the Franzen case, think a line was crossed it was crossed. And examples like that will be pretty rare, and not accepted.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

No better definition on cap

On Friedman's 31 thoughts on SN he points out that since escrow if based on cash, not the salary cap, many players who have contracts for 20-21, lowered their salary for that year. thus when you compare their cash payments, SB and salary combined for the 20-21 season, it is much lower than what they made in 19-20 (if they are on the same contract).

So, a team might have 10 players under contract next season and total cash payments could be less than this season by around $10 million.

Thus, there is hope from the GMs that the PA exercises a higher escalator to pump up the salary cap to $85 million.

But, players would then in 21-22 have higher salaries than 20-21, so the bump the following year shouldn't be as high.

So, do the players want to smooth the increase over 2 years or have 1 big bump next year and a much smaller one next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad