Post-Game Talk: Dec 19 2015 - LA Kings @ Maple Leafs - Shut-out: Page 17 PGT Starts

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
No, they were not dominant. On ice Coris +/-: Komarov -7, Kadri -8, Grabner -2. They did have some good moments, though, obviously.

They mostly went up against Kopitar, Lucic and Gaborik, and they were largely dominated (on ice corsi % 56-62% for those Kings).

It definitely wasn't "winning the right way". But the Leafs did keep them out of the high danger scoring zones, as most of the Kings' surplus Corsi events were missed, blocked and low-probability shots. Still, a Carlyle type victory, and not what most of around here would call "winning the right way".
1918532_10153686634175199_3788689483710581434_n.jpg

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Wait a second, Pens had a defensive coach in MJ and that didnt work out? Now an offensive speed coach and things still dont look good?

The core players are the problem IMO

Letang, Bennett, and Fleury are injured. That has a major impact in the defensive side of the game and add in that Kessel, Crosby, and Hornqvist are underperforming and you can see why they're are not the in a playoff spot.

tml19

Nov 30, 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
No, they were not dominant. On ice Coris +/-: Komarov -7, Kadri -8, Grabner -2. They did have some good moments, though, obviously.

They mostly went up against Kopitar, Lucic and Gaborik, and they were largely dominated (on ice corsi % 56-62% for those Kings).

It definitely wasn't "winning the right way". But the Leafs did keep them out of the high danger scoring zones, as most of the Kings' surplus Corsi events were missed, blocked and low-probability shots. Still, a Carlyle type victory, and not what most of around here would call "winning the right way".

:laugh: at using corsi to evaluate a single game.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014

:facepalm:

Kadri went 3/17 on face-off dot vs Kopitar last night. So isn't it obvious that they would have corsi advantage when they had puck with them more? In fact, it further proves the point that they were dominant because that line started without the puck 80% of the time and still scored 4 goals against Kopitar line.

P.S.: As other person said, corsi stats aren't as useful when looking at an individual game.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
:facepalm:

Kadri went 3/17 on face-off dot vs Kopitar last night. So isn't it obvious that they would have corsi advantage when they had puck with them more? In fact, it further proves the point that they were dominant because that line started without the puck 80% of the time and still scored 4 goals against Kopitar line.

P.S.: As other person said, corsi stats aren't as useful when looking at an individual game.

Corsi stats aren't good indicators for puck possession hockey as a whole to begin with witch is why Babcock doesn't favor it as an indicator of puck possession hockey.

I don't know how old you are but if you've studied old USSR Red Army hockey of the past you would know just how false corsi can be to indicate puck possession when based on shots not actually time of possession with the puck.

The best puck possession line arguably ever was the old Red Army KLM line. They practically put on a Harlem Globetrotters show on of a skilled puck possession game but generally didn't shoot much. They only shot the puck when in clear scoring chances. That line under Corsi would be one horrible puck possession line but in actuality they were the best ever at puck possession as far as I'm concern.

Although the Komorov, Kadri, Grabner line didn't pull a KLM performance they out played rather easily the Kopitar line in all 3 zones of puck possession hockey which was a direct link to the out chancing and out scoring them on the score line.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
WOOT..! WOOT..! WOOT...!!

A great overall team effort in this one..!

Bernier played really good, but it was still a 26 shot shut-out, as opposed to the usual shot-counts... Still.., he played the best game I have seen him play in a year.., so I tip my hat to him..

SO HAPPY.. that Froese finally bagged one..! ...And that Grabner seems to be finally on a roll..!

Kudos to Komarov, too.., as he still sits at the top of the team, with most goals..

Sure hope they continue this kind of play...!!

New video from today, to memorialize this game... :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Bernier Shut-Out: Leafs Dethrone Kings 5-0 - Dec. 19th 2015 - TML

GO LEAFS GO !!

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I don't know why people are saying that the Leafs played well this game. They scored 4/5 goals in the last 10 minutes and while the game was 1-0 Bernier had to make a handful of good saves got lucky with posts and Gaborik basically missing an empty net at one point because he heeled his shot. Good teams don't give such quality chances when the game is 1-0. They were lax on defense and got away unscathed.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I watched about half the game, in bits and pieces, but for the 30 minutes or so that I watched, the Leafs were playing Pat Burns like defence, stretching but not bending at all. I saw one decent scoring chance. For L.A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad