Value of: DeBrusk to Colorado

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
:bruins :avs

Colorado currently have $5.5m in capspace with only Jost to resign (probably $1.5-2m).

There have been rumours today of Sakic making offers for Saad and Tatar so apparently he wants to add a top 6 forward, which makes sense as Colorado have ~$4m in excess capspace to spend after resigning Jost. That said, with Saad gone and Tatar reportedly asking for too much money it seems like a trade is the only logical option for Colorado at this stage to fill that role.

DeBrusk skates well and plays a two-way game which would fit nicely in Colorado, and his caphit would be manageable. He's been rumored to be on the trade block lately after coming off two down years.

With that in mind, what would it take from Colorado to acquire DeBrusk from Boston?

Note that Colorado's most prevalent trade chips are probably something like Jost, 2022 3rd, and prospects like Kaut/Bowers/Ranta/etc.

For reference this is Colorado's current roster situation with $5.5m in capspace (Jost unsigned):

upload_2021-7-30_0-4-41-png.457859

This is what Colorado's lineup would look like including DeBrusk and Jost (at $1.8m):

upload_2021-7-30_0-45-0.png

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
This article was published 6 hours ago:

https://thehockeywriters.com/bruins-debrusk-trade-inevitable/

The first indicator of a future trade involving DeBrusk is in the moves the Bruins made in free agency: Foligno, Haula, and Nosek all shoot left. This suggests that general manager Don Sweeney and the front office have other plans for that third-line left wing spot, and we’ve already seen how poor of a fit the right side has been for the left-shooting DeBrusk in the past. With an overabundance of bottom-six left-shot forwards now in the mix, he seems to be lined up as trade bait.

At a yearly salary of $3.675 million, DeBrusk takes out a relatively decent chunk of the team’s precious cap space for someone who is young and coming off a poor season. Were he to be moved in exchange for a draft pick, the Bruins would have a little under $5 million to work with, which is likely just the right price to re-sign David Krejci. With Rask still waiting in line, this kind of move is a necessary first step towards getting enough cap space.

Last edited:

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I feel Avs could send prospects that are ready to make the jump but are waiver exempt. Thinking Bowers or Kaut, plus a 2nd or 2 3rds.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The Avs can't afford the little assets they have left to trade for a guy like DeBrusk.

Don't make this offseason worse than it already is.

At this point they should maybe sign another couple of bargain bin UFAs and let them all compete in camp with the young guys.

Then revisit stuff at the deadline.

But due to yesterday the Avs really can't afford to do anything big anylonger for atleast a year. This is the roster we will go to war with unfortunately.

Reactions: Foppberg

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
The Avs can't afford the little assets they have left to trade for a guy like DeBrusk.

So just throw away all next season? Not a good idea when you don’t even have your 1st or 2nd in the draft.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

At this point they should maybe sign another couple of bargain bin UFAs and let them all compete in camp with the young guys.

Then revisit stuff at the deadline.

But due to yesterday the Avs really can't afford to do anything big anylonger for atleast a year. This is the roster we will go to war with unfortunately.
Sakic made this season an all-in season by paying a high price for a goalie who hits UFA next offseason. He needs to double-down and ensure that this years roster is as good as it can be. Paying to get $1m retention on Kuemper and then leaving ~$4m in capspace unused would be silly use of capspace as a contender.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So just throw away all next season? Not a good idea when you don’t even have your 1st or 2nd in the draft.

Why throw away the season? I hated what Sakic has done yesterday. Probably more than most Avs fans.

But stop acting like this team isn't basically a lock for the playoffs unless we run into crazy injury issues.

There is nothing you can do to really "fix" this in the eyes of hfboards Avs fans...

See what really cheap bargain options you can get in UFA and let all of them compete in camp and go from there.
You can always revisit stuff at the deadline if necessary.

No matter what the Avs do from here on out they will need some luck if they want to win a cup. They won't have the best roster in the league. They also didn't last year in comparison to Tampa.

Sakic blew his load yesterday unfortunately. Now its time to say what the team he built is worth.
Last years group underperformed (and not due to Sakic being too passive but due to Kadri losing his minds and our core guys choking when it counted the most). So maybe this year they can make up for it and overperform. Vegas was a horrible matchup. Maybe someone else takes them out for us or we do it ourselves in the conference finals on the back of Kuemper.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Sakic made this season an all-in season by paying a high price for a goalie who hits UFA next offseason. He needs to double-down and ensure that this years roster is as good as it can be. Paying to get $1m retention on Kuemper and then leaving ~$4m in capspace unused would be silly use of capspace as a contender.

No he really doesn't need to double down.
There is no great way of salvaging this at this point. Atleast not in comparison to expectations and how much better the roster looked last year.

You don't need to have the best roster to win a cup. The Avs had a better roster than their opponents the last 2 times the lost in the playoffs IMO.

Our young guys as well as our core guys will have to step up. Mac needs to be better. Makar needs to be better. Landy needs to be better. Newhook and Byram have to make an impact. Hopefully Kuemper will do his part. That has to be the plan.
We don't really have that much capspace left anyways (especially if you don't want to carry-over bonus money again). I expect a Tatar signing and thats basically it.

I don't like what Sakic did but it is what it is. Doubling down at this point would probably do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
No he really doesn't need to double down.
There is no great way of salvaging this at this point. Atleast not in comparison to expectations and how much better the roster looked last year.

You don't need to have the best roster to win a cup. The Avs had a better roster than their opponents the last 2 times the lost in the playoffs IMO.

Our young guys as well as our core guys will have to step up. Mac needs to be better. Makar needs to be better. Landy needs to be better. Newhook and Byram have to make an impact. Hopefully Kuemper will do his part. That has to be the plan.
We don't really have that much capspace left anyways (especially if you don't want to carry-over bonus money again). I expect a Tatar signing and thats basically it.

I don't like what Sakic did but it is what it is. Doubling down at this point would probably do more harm than good.
So you would go into the season with $4m in capspace? Or sign more cheap filler guys with that money?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
that would be of interest with two assumptions.
Bowers is waiver exempt and you guys are willing to give up your third after already without a 1 and 2.
Bowers is on his last ELC year so he's still waivers exempt yes.

Trading the 3rd would be fine. We can always find other ways to recoup picks by next years draft.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Barron and Bowers intrigue me in a potential deal
Sakic already moved Timmins so I can't see him entertaining the idea of moving Barron as well. That would cripple our RHD depth. Bowers, Kaut, and Ranta are the best bets in terms of prospects that could be in the deal (or other B prospects if you prefer someone else). I'd imagine that Newhook, Byram, Barron, and Helleson would be ring-fenced here.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So you would go into the season with $4m in capspace? Or sign more cheap filler guys with that money?

I don't see us going into the season with 4m in cap. I could absolutely see 2m after what happened with the bonus carry-over last year (odds are Newhook and Byram will reach a few of them. Atleast I hope they will) and EJ being a candidate for LTIR (atleast I am treating him like that until he can prove that he can stay healthy). That would honestly make some sense.

I personally fully expect Tatar as an Av even though I hate it. Or atleast one guy that atleast potentially could fill a role somewhere on a cheap 2-3m contract. After signing Jost thats basically all of our flexibility gone.

Also between Bowers, Kaut and to a lesser extent Wingerli, atleast 1 guy should atleast compete for a job. Especially Kaut has to step up or Sakic made a mistake on not cashing on him earlier. He passed up a lot of opportunities by sticking with those (first two) guys so its time to see some results.

Landy- Mac- Rants
Newhook/Wingerli/Ranta/X (Tatar or cheap UFA) - Kadri- Burkie
Nichushkin- Jost- Compher/Newhook/Kaut/LOC
Maltsev- Helm-LOC/Compher

Do I love it ? No.
Should we pay up for a DeBrusk? Nah. Don't think he is good enough to make enough of a difference to be worth the price tag. He was Bostons Compher last year. And even if he pans out, we can't afford to keep him. Not giving up picks or decent prospects for that. We are going to need those next year when Kadri and Burki (and maybe even Kuemper) walk.

Let them battle it out in camp. Sakic has shown arguably too much faith in the likes of Compher/Jost/Bowers/Kaut/etc. He also IMO made a giant mistake yesterday.

Now lets see how things work out. I am really not a fan of getting into caphell (once EJ goes on LTIR) and due to bonuses for a guy like DeBrusk. Very much rather see what we have and let the guys really compete for spots in camp.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad