DeBrincat impact

Dtybur

Jan 14, 2021
How much does Raymond benefit from potentially playing on the opposite wing, from DeBrincat? I'm excited to ponder the possibilities. More open ice, less game planning for just Raymond, etcetera...
Your thoughts?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If a Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond line can manage to not be too overmatched in their own end, or along the boards, it could be a line that sticks all season. Because despite it's lack of size, on paper it seems to be a line that would be offensively dynamic. Between all three players' ability to both cycle and score, and with Raymond seemingly ready to take another step (hope I don't jinx him), we should expect to see 90+ goals out of it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If a Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond line can manage to not be too overmatched in their own end, or along the boards, it could be a line that sticks all season. Because despite it's lack of size, on paper it seems to be a line that would be offensively dynamic. Between all three players' ability to both cycle and score, and with Raymond seemingly ready to take another step (hope I don't jinx him), we should expect to see 90+ goals out of it.
I think this line would lose a lot of puck battles....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
At some point I see him and Söderblom as line-mates. Shooting behind that frame in front of the net, so goalies can't see anything... midget shoots the puck and giant makes the screen. Very simple.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I think this line would lose a lot of puck battles....
That's the risk. Luckily, they have plenty of lineup options if they get overmatched, or if the coaches are too worried about them being overmatched to even try the line. If that line does work, it will be because they are dominating possession of the puck and minimizing the number of puck battles they encounter.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The possibility of having a DLR (debrincat, larking, raymond) line would be extremely enticing; however, I would want to try and spread it out on the 1st/2nd lines to give more scoring dynamic to the team.

Debrincat - Larkin - Berggren
Ras - Copp - Ray
Perron - Compher - Sprong
Kostin - Veleno/Kasper - Fabbri

I think that lineup shows you can score on 3 lines in very different ways from line to line. I watched some Sprong highlights from last year and I don't know why anyone is complaining that we only paid him 2mil for what he brings. He plays much bigger than his measurements and has patience to finish the play. Also, it places Berggren on the line he should be on with his skillset. Playing him as a semi-grinder position is worthless to his skillset.

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Ras - Copp - Perron
Berggren - Compher - Sprong
Kostin - Veleno/Kasper - Fabbri

Keeps the Ras/copp/perron line as they showed pretty good chemistry before ras's injury. Berggren still gets to pass to a semi-scorer in sprong, 4th line stays the same, I really don't see how that would change (other than fischer coming in for Fabbri I suppose).

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
My dream lineup in 3-4 years would look something like this:

DeBrincat-Larkin-Raymond
Mazur-Kasper-Buchelnikov
Rasmussen-Danielson-Lombardi
Kostin-Compher-Copp

Edvinsson-Seider
Wallinder-ASP
Walman-Gibson

I think this would be one of the deepest teams in the league, and without any truly elite stars we're going to have to win this way (Vegas style). You've got scoring and toughness on every single line (except maybe the DLR line, but Larkin is pretty tough), and they're all responsible defensively. You could give 17,16,15 ES minutes for the top 3 lines (run 3 scoring lines) and then 12 minutes to the 4th line as a shutdown group. On defense, every pairing is responsible without any huge liabilities.

As far as I can tell, this is the kind of group Yzerman is trying to build.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As someone who hates it I can't believe I'm asking this question, but how is DeBrincat in the shootout?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
At some point I see him and Söderblom as line-mates. Shooting behind that frame in front of the net, so goalies can't see anything... midget shoots the puck and giant makes the screen. Very simple.

My guess is Raz. Elmer has too many issues in the defensive zone.

I doubt Ray will wind up playing with him, Lalonde seems like the type of coach that believes in having a "piano puller".

Heck, I think Copp might be a possibility in that role. DeBrincat can try to Datsyuk pucks off his ass, so Copp can get on the scoreboard. If anything it;s a very marketable "Michigan line", aka "Poor Man's Production Line".

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Impact?

Last season vs. Next season
1.Larkin 79 points = Larkin 79 points
2.Perron 56 points < DeBrincat 66 points
3.Kubalik 45 points < Perron 56 points
------------------- adding 21 points
4.Raymond 45 points < Raymond 57 points (back to rookie season form)
5.Copp 42 points < Compher 52 points
6.Rasmussen 29 points < Sprong 46 points
------------------- adding 59 points
7.Berggren 28 points < Berggren 34 points (more games, same production)
8.Suter 24 points < Copp 42 points
9.Fabbri 16 points < healthy Fabbri 45 points (same ppg 0.57 as last season)
------------------ adding 53 points
10.Sundqvist 21 points < Fischer 27 points
11.Veleno 20 points < healthy Rasmussen 42 points
12.Erne 18 points < Kostin 25 points
----------------- adding 35 points.
13.Bertuzzi 14 points = Veleno 14 points as 13th forward
14.Söderblom 8 points = Söderblom 8 points on his callup.
15.Chiasson 9 points = Czarnik 9 points as 14th forward.
Zadina 7 points = Kasper 7 points on his callup.
Czarnik 5 points = Mazur 5 points on his callup.
Luff 4 points = Luff 4 points on his callup
Vrana 2 points = Lombardi 2 points on his callup.

168 points added.

DeBrincat will make his impact, but bigger impact will come from scoring depth as a whole, and if there's just less injuries.

There's now a better player at every position, after Larkin. Like, I ordered them differently, but DeBrincat is the 2nd best forward now, instead of Perron and Perron is better than 3rd best Kubalik last year etc. Compher is better than Copp at last season and Copp is better than Suter etc. Everything cumulates.

168 points added more could mean
50-60 Team goals more. We did score 237 goals at last season. Scoring +55 = 292 goals.

Seattle, Devils and Florida all had 4th-5th-6th most at last season and that was 291-290-289 goals.

Our goal differential was -38. If we can score 292 goals, and concede the same 275 goals, that's +17 goal differential.

Florida went to the playoffs with +17 goal differential, as the lowest number. So we are starting to be right there as a playoff team. Better defence, thanks to Compher at Center core, and maybe better structure after 1 year learning experiment, could push our GAA down too.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
As someone who hates it I can't believe I'm asking this question, but how is DeBrincat in the shootout?
He's tied with Dougie Hamilton and Jason Robertson at a career 50% shooting rate (for guys with more than 15 attempts). That's good for 11th all time.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I think he will have a major impact. He might be the best forward that Larkin has played with barring the end of the D/Z era. The PP should improve a lot with him, hopefully Raymond takes a step forward also.

Reactions: Dtybur

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Ok thanks.

The Wings didn't have too many shooutouts last season but I'm hoping if it comes to that DeBrincat can help the Wings pick up that extra point.
You got me wondering, so I looked it up. Career SO numbers for current Red Wings....

50.0% - Debrincat (9 for 18)
44.4% - Raymond (4 for 9)
34.7% - Perron (26 for 75)
33.3% - Sprong (3 for 9)
26.7% - Larkin (8 for 30)
10.0% - Fabbri (1 for 10)
0.0% - Rasmussen (0 for 1)
0.0% - Veleno (0 for 1)
0.0% - Fischer (0 for 1)
0.0% - Compher (0 for 3)

Other notables
0.0% - Kubalik (0 for 2)
0.0% - Bertuzzi (0 for 4)

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You got me wondering, so I looked it up. Career SO numbers for current Red Wings....

33.3% - Sprong (3 for 9)
0.0% - Veleno (0 for 1)
0.0% - Fischer (0 for 1)
0.0% - Compher (0 for 3)

Other notables
0.0% - Kubalik (0 for 2)

Oof. Not a great record by Fabbri.

For Bert to score in the shootout I feel like he'd have to trip and fall down then score while sliding on his ass. It's more his style.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Impact?

Last season vs. Next season
1.Larkin 79 points = Larkin 79 points
2.Perron 56 points < DeBrincat 66 points
3.Kubalik 45 points < Perron 56 points
------------------- adding 21 points
4.Raymond 45 points < Raymond 57 points (back to rookie season form)
5.Copp 42 points < Compher 52 points
6.Rasmussen 29 points < Sprong 46 points
------------------- adding 59 points
7.Berggren 28 points < Berggren 34 points (more games, same production)
8.Suter 24 points < Copp 42 points
9.Fabbri 16 points < healthy Fabbri 45 points (same ppg 0.57 as last season)
------------------ adding 53 points
10.Sundqvist 21 points < Fischer 27 points
11.Veleno 20 points < healthy Rasmussen 42 points
12.Erne 18 points < Kostin 25 points
----------------- adding 35 points.
13.Bertuzzi 14 points = Veleno 14 points as 13th forward
14.Söderblom 8 points = Söderblom 8 points on his callup.
15.Chiasson 9 points = Czarnik 9 points as 14th forward.
Zadina 7 points = Kasper 7 points on his callup.
Czarnik 5 points = Mazur 5 points on his callup.
Luff 4 points = Luff 4 points on his callup
Vrana 2 points = Lombardi 2 points on his callup.

168 points added.

DeBrincat will make his impact, but bigger impact will come from scoring depth as a whole, and if there's just less injuries.

There's now a better player at every position, after Larkin. Like, I ordered them differently, but DeBrincat is the 2nd best forward now, instead of Perron and Perron is better than 3rd best Kubalik last year etc. Compher is better than Copp at last season and Copp is better than Suter etc. Everything cumulates.

168 points added more could mean
50-60 Team goals more. We did score 237 goals at last season. Scoring +55 = 292 goals.

Seattle, Devils and Florida all had 4th-5th-6th most at last season and that was 291-290-289 goals.

Our goal differential was -38. If we can score 292 goals, and concede the same 275 goals, that's +17 goal differential.

Florida went to the playoffs with +17 goal differential, as the lowest number. So we are starting to be right there as a playoff team. Better defence, thanks to Compher at Center core, and maybe better structure after 1 year learning experiment, could push our GAA down too.

Slotting in career high stats and shuffling players around the lineup with arbitrary numbers is not how this works. It’s unlikely Copp scores the same number of points playing less minutes. Compher isn’t going to score a career high in points on a red wings team that is significantly shallower than Colorado. The number of baked in assumptions that make these mental gymnastics work is astonishing.

I see ADB putting up numbers similar to Bert in 21-22. ~35 goals, 30 assists.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

33.3% - Sprong (3 for 9)
0.0% - Veleno (0 for 1)
0.0% - Fischer (0 for 1)
0.0% - Compher (0 for 3)

Other notables
0.0% - Kubalik (0 for 2)

You gotta wonder if Larkin takes a back seat on the SO. I'd assume he goes before Sprong, but those 3 wingers make a strong case for going before DBoss.

On top of that, as someone who spent way too much time watching all of Cat's goals, I can say he buried many while on breakaways.

He's genuinely excellent when he has even a little time and space against a goalie.

Helm with hands?

Reactions: DamonDRW and jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad