News Article: DeBoer explains why Sharks never considered a goalie trade at deadline

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Usually you get the same sort of cliche when the team is trying to smokescreen potential acquisitions. Vague, Doug-Wilson-specialty stuff like "This is the team we have moving forward and we're happy with the guys we have." Rarely do they out-and-out lie and say "we never even looked." Lies end up coming back to bite the team because it makes reporters more likely to press and prod in the future. There's an art to saying something that says nothing instead of saying something that digs you a deeper hole to get out of later on.
This is correct. Why would Deboer lie about it and paint himself in a corner? He could easily deflect as acquisitions are DWs job not his.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
It is one thing to talk to the group about bringing a player with skill in. Yes discuss bringing in Kane or Karlsson…

But this doesn't work when looking at players not performing or that are just not good enough. I'm glad they all get along, but the team needs to be able to win and get along - Jones atm is not capable.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Usually you get the same sort of cliche when the team is trying to smokescreen potential acquisitions. Vague, Doug-Wilson-specialty stuff like "This is the team we have moving forward and we're happy with the guys we have." Rarely do they out-and-out lie and say "we never even looked." Lies end up coming back to bite the team because it makes reporters more likely to press and prod in the future. There's an art to saying something that says nothing instead of saying something that digs you a deeper hole to get out of later on.
True but wasn't it PDB that said they didn't look? Not DW... Maybe I misread. A coach is going to lie. He's done it plenty already as far as injuries etc...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
PDB is probably not lying, but he didn't mention which conversation it did not come up in. We know it's a conversation or -sations with the players, but that's all.

Don't fall for his invitation for you to fill in the blanks and make invalid assumptions.

Also notice what Jimbo said is in conflict with what PDB said.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I’m not defending Jones for all the softies he’s let in but I will say if this team doesn’t check themselves defensively then it wouldn’t matter if we had Patrick Roy in goal. You can’t give up 6-8 odd man rushes/ breakaways a game and expect to win. Stop turning it over in the neutral zone and stop trying to force point shots through and that number goes down. You can see how much our offense struggles without magic hands Pavs out there.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’m not defending Jones for all the softies he’s let in but I will say if this team doesn’t check themselves defensively then it wouldn’t matter if we had Patrick Roy in goal. You can’t give up 6-8 odd man rushes/ breakaways a game and expect to win. Stop turning it over in the neutral zone and stop trying to force point shots through and that number goes down. You can see how much our offense struggles without magic hands Pavs out there.
Because our offensive system sucks. Everything is predicated from point shots and teams have figured out that pressuring Burns at the point makes it hard for us to score, especially without Pavelski. Add in no Karlsson leads to Dillon, Vlasic, and Braun having to shoot off target every time we setup in the zone and it's no wonder goals have dried up. We don't have enough net front presence and size to play that way, but also don't have enough speed and skill to play the speed game like Vegas.

We are basically a team stuck in limbo that doesn't know what it wants to be. Adding Boedker 2.0 to this roster (remember when everyone roasted me for calling him that prior to the TDL lol) did nothing to change that. This team needs players that can play inside the dots as opposed to soft perimeter wingers like Donskoi and Nyquist if the offensive system being employed now is what we are going to continue to be (I see no reason that PDB would magically change).

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Because our offensive system sucks. Everything is predicated from point shots and teams have figured out that pressuring Burns at the point makes it hard for us to score, especially without Pavelski. Add in no Karlsson leads to Dillon, Vlasic, and Braun having to shoot off target every time we setup in the zone and it's no wonder goals have dried up. We don't have enough net front presence and size to play that way, but also don't have enough speed and skill to play the speed game like Vegas.

We are basically a team stuck in limbo that doesn't know what it wants to be. Adding Boedker 2.0 to this roster (remember when everyone roasted me for calling him that prior to the TDL lol) did nothing to change that. This team needs players that can play inside the dots as opposed to soft perimeter wingers like Donskoi and Nyquist if the offensive system being employed now is what we are going to continue to be (I see no reason that PDB would magically change).

Yep, aside from Thornton, Hertl, Kane and Timo none of the guys can establish a good net front presence. You’re right, everything is originated from the point which teams have caught on to. We just don’t have a good enough cycle game down low. The team needs to work on generating more chances below the faceoff dots. Nothing will change though, they’ll continue to live and die at the blue line and give up odd man breaks. It really sucks that this talented team is subjected to playing this vanilla system.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yep, aside from Thornton, Hertl, Kane and Timo none of the guys can establish a good net front presence. You’re right, everything is originated from the point which teams have caught on to. We just don’t have a good enough cycle game down low. The team needs to work on generating more chances below the faceoff dots. Nothing will change though, they’ll continue to live and die at the blue line and give up odd man breaks. It really sucks that this talented team is subjected to playing this vanilla system.
They have needed to do that since before the season started......

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Jumbo says the only stat he's seen is that theyre winning games.

You big beautiful son of a gun that's only because you're so goddamn good that you've been able to overcome **** goal tending for a good portion of the games this season.
It's funny because they're not winning games anymore lol.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

I huge part of PDB's system is predicated on having Karlsson AND Burns in the lineup. Their styles from the point are so completely different that it makes it very difficult to game plan since it requires completely different tactics.

With Burns, you play him aggressively, try to get into his shooting lane and collapse to the net to take away the rebound and tips. If you try this tactic against Karlsson he is going to hold it and find the open man below the dots which immediately puts the D into a chase position.

On the flip side, you game plan for Karlsson by remaining more spread out and not giving him the pass lanes. This tactic is absolute death against Burns since the last thing you want is to give him daylight to the net.

So when EK85 and the Wookie are both in the lineup it is very much a pick your poison situation as to how you game plan.

On a related note, Vlasic seems to be more effective offensively (for me) when teams game plan for Burns and he can utilize the indirect shot-pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad