Friedman: DeAngelo to CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
This entire situation emphasizes just how awful Fletcher's asset management was over the past two years. He traded Ghost along with a 2nd and a 7th to Arizona for nothing. Then he traded a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to Carolina to replace Ghost with DeAngelo, who plays basically the same game, but is a hothead. Now we are preparing to retain money on DeAngelo just to get rid of him because he doesn't get along with the coach. It's going to take Briere years just to dig out of the hole Fletcher dug for us.
And it's still not as bad as the scorched earth that Holmgren left to Hextall.

Evergreen

To be fair Holmgren managed to build a team that could legitimately contend for the Cup for several years. I think Holmgren was operating under strict instructions from Ed Snyder to win now at all costs. In fact the worst move Holmgren made was the Bryzgalov signing and that, by all accounts, was orchestrated by Snyder.

Reactions: BernieParent

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
To be fair Holmgren managed to build a team that could legitimately contend for the Cup for several years. I think Holmgren was operating under strict instructions from Ed Snyder to win now at all costs. In fact the worst move Holmgren made was the Bryzgalov signing and that, by all accounts, was orchestrated by Snyder.
You obviously don't remember/know what Flyers payroll looked like in 2013. Holmgren left a giant, astonishing, numbing, steaming pile of s**t to Hextall.

Evergreen

You obviously don't remember/know what Flyers payroll looked like in 2013. Holmgren left a giant, astonishing, numbing, steaming pile of s**t to Hextall.
First of all, Hextall took over in 2014, not 2013. Second, I’m well aware of what the Flyers roster and salary cap situation looked like at that time. What did I say that suggested to you that I thought it was in a good state? I’m acknowledging that things looked bad after Holmgren left and merely explaining that this was due in large part to Homer being pushed to compete while Snyder was alive and thereby putting the Flyers in a worse position for the future.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I can’t believe that canes fan wouldn’t want this guy back he makes their team so much better pushing Burns down to PP2. He seems like a great locker room guy aswell despite everyone who calls him a POS due to him being a warrior.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

That's not true at all, to be honest. The payroll was a little rough thanks to some crappy defensemen on bloated contracts, but only one of them (MacDonald, the worst) had extremely long term remaining at that point—even Pronger's LTIR cap hit would be up within 3 seasons of Hextall taking over.

He inherited a crappy expensive defense, but he also inherited an awesome forward group. Giroux (26), Voracek (25), Simmonds (26), Schenn (23), Couturier (21). Hextall had a lot of options—trade a forward or two for cap relief and D futures, buy out a couple guys and wait...he took none of them. Instead he kept piling on more mediocre cap hits like Medvedev. Signed Gostisbehere and Voracek to really big deals. Drafted really poorly at times.

A savvy GM would have been able to make something out of the situation Hextall took over from Holmgren. Hextall is not that. Fletcher left all of the cap mess with none of the talent. Weird thing to randomly bring up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
That's not true at all, to be honest. The payroll was a little rough thanks to some crappy defensemen on bloated contracts, but only one of them (MacDonald, the worst) had extremely long term remaining at that point—even Pronger's LTIR cap hit would be up within 3 seasons of Hextall taking over.

He inherited a crappy expensive defense, but he also inherited an awesome forward group. Giroux (26), Voracek (25), Simmonds (26), Schenn (23), Couturier (21). Hextall had a lot of options—trade a forward or two for cap relief and D futures, buy out a couple guys and wait...he took none of them. Instead he kept piling on more mediocre cap hits like Medvedev. Signed Gostisbehere and Voracek to really big deals. Drafted really poorly at times.

A savvy GM would have been able to make something out of the situation Hextall took over from Holmgren. Hextall is not that. Fletcher left all of the cap mess with none of the talent. Weird thing to randomly bring up.
Hextall's issue was that he tried to rebuild without breaking down far enough so that he was never adding any elite talent to Giroux. It's basically the same mistake that Briere seems primed to make now.

Reactions: Rebels57

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
First of all, Hextall took over in 2014, not 2013. Second, I’m well aware of what the Flyers roster and salary cap situation looked like at that time. What did I say that suggested to you that I thought it was in a good state? I’m acknowledging that things looked bad after Holmgren left and merely explaining that this was due in large part to Homer being pushed to compete while Snyder was alive and thereby putting the Flyers in a worse position for the future.
Nothing, my bad, sorry. But your post suggested that Snyder mostly responsible for bad things, which I disagree. That Bryzgalov contract wasn't a problem since he was bought out by 2014 and didn't count against the cap. Holmgren signed a lot of horrible contracts like MacDonald, Lecavalier, Hartnell and they cannot be justified only by "strict instructions from Ed Snyder". And yeah, my original post was about the state of the team that Hextall inherited, not who responsible for it.)

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth

If I'm not mistaken, by the start of 2014 offseason, the Flyers had 17 players signed through the next season with 64 mil caphit out of 69 with Timonen and Schenn without contracts, I wouldn't call it "a little rough". Also, that forward group wasn't "awesome"

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If I'm not mistaken, by the start of 2014 offseason, the Flyers had 17 players signed through the next season with 64 mil caphit out of 69 with Timonen and Schenn without contracts, I wouldn't call it "a little rough". Also, that forward group wasn't "awesome"

And they signed for $2m and $2.5m, respectively. And yes, it was a pretty awesome group of young forwards at the time. Prime Giroux and Voracek, cheap rookie Couturier, Schenn developing into a solid top 6er, Simmonds was in the middle of 4 straight years averaging 30 goals. He inherited almost a full cost-controlled prime or pre-prime top 6. That's a pretty good situation to be in. He did nothing with it.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Tony DeAngelo ain't no Al Capone direct. No one are when the real boss is Rod Brind'Amour in the locker room. Capiche?!

In with Tony - out with Erik.

Shoot, just shoot, without a machine gun Carolina!

And do aim at the right one ...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The cap situation on defense was extremely rough, and the roster was only workable due to some sick deals for forwards and Holmgren dredging up some undrafted cheap wins.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
7sgu6y.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad