Dean Prentice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Here is a list of the top 20 NHL career point getters after the `78-`79 season (originally printed in the original Hockey Compendium.)

1. Gordie Howe 1809
2. Phil Esposito 1492
3. Stan Mikita 1460
4. Johnny Bucyk 1369
5. Alex Delvecchio 1281
6. Norm Ullman 1229
7. Jean Beliveau 1219
8. Jean Ratelle 1157
9. Bobby Hull 1153
10. Frank Mahovlich 1103
11. Henri Richard 1046
12. Rod Gilbert 1021
13. Andy Bathgate 973
14. Maurice Richard 965
15. Bobby Orr 915
16. Bobby Clarke 868
17. Yvan Cournoyer 863
18. Dean Prentice 860
19. Dave Keon 858
20. Ted Lindsay 851

So you have 19 legendary Hall-Of-Famers who`s careers are familiar to almost every fan. And amidst them you have Dean Prentice, a player who most fans (including myself) know very little about. It`s shocking that somebody who is rarely remembered or mentioned once ranked this high on the list of all-time top scorers. A look at his career stats show him to be an exceptionally consistent scorer throughout his career who was stuck on some lousy teams.

I was wondering if any of the 45+ crowd on this site remember anything about him that they could share. Was he one of the most underrated players of his era? What were his strengths and weaknesses? Did he play well defensively? Should he be in the Hall Of Fame? Why is he forgotten?

I`ve always been curious about him.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
I'm 44 years old. I saw him play when I was a kid, for the Penguins.

He was a good all around player. He wasn't great with anything, but did everything well. He also played a very clean game. Also, he led the Pens in scoring in the 1969-70 season.

That's about all I can remember about him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
my parents used to be quite friendly with him- i remember him as a kid; he was very close with Bucyk and Oliver....i'll ask the family next time if you want more :)

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I remember seeing him on the early 70s North Stars. He was 40ish and near the end of his run, but seemed to have good wheels, not spectacular in any one area, but a solid professional.

The Minnesota team was actually quite good in the early 70s with Parise, Jude Drouin, Danny Grant, etc.

Prentice put up very solid numbers during the pre expansion era with the Rangers, I'm not sure he isnt remember more.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Dean Prentice is a player who many feel should be in the HHOF. But since there is no 'veterans' category anymore, it doesn't look like he will make it.
Prentice was an outstanding Junior player and won a Memorial Cup with the great Guelph Biltmore team in 1952. Prentice made the jump to the NHL which was rare in those days and was one of the Rangers best players for a number of years. He wasn't flashy and didn't win any awards so he's sometimes lost in the crowd with other great players of his era. Playing with the Rangers for most of his productive years didn't help. He also probably didn't have any 'political' help among the HHOF selection board when he was eligible to be inducted. If he had that kind of career in Toronto, he might be in the HHOF today.

You could say that he was underated. But he could score and was a dependable defensive player as well.

Prentice once scored on a penalty shot just after he had broken his back. After his lengthy career, he played hockey with the local alumni group and also joined the 'ministries' like Paul Henderson and others did.

reckoning said:
Here is a list of the top 20 NHL career point getters after the `78-`79 season (originally printed in the original Hockey Compendium.)
So you have 19 legendary Hall-Of-Famers who`s careers are familiar to almost every fan. And amidst them you have Dean Prentice, a player who most fans (including myself) know very little about. It`s shocking that somebody who is rarely remembered or mentioned once ranked this high on the list of all-time top scorers. A look at his career stats show him to be an exceptionally consistent scorer throughout his career who was stuck on some lousy teams.

I was wondering if any of the 45+ crowd on this site remember anything about him that they could share. Was he one of the most underrated players of his era? What were his strengths and weaknesses? Did he play well defensively? Should he be in the Hall Of Fame? Why is he forgotten?

I`ve always been curious about him.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I wouldnt say Prentice is Hall of Fame bound by any strectch of the imagination. He played form '52-74 and had some good seasons but not great.

I met him once this was outside at a building in Cambridge Ontario that Paul Henderson was unveiling. My dad was talking to him and Dean had a large umbrella that we were standing under because it was raining. Nice guy.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
The HHOF committee thought that the veteran's category had run its course and decided (wrongly in my opinion) to do away with the category. They did, at the same time, increase the maximum number of inductees from 3 to 4 to partly compensate for that. As if a veteran player can compete with players like Messier, Stevens etc.

Leaf Lander said:
illl look into it as well!!

btw why is there no more vets category for HOF ?

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
He didn't win a Stanley, he played on the 50s NYR and 60s Bruins (no great teams) and played a solid game. His numbers were compiled over a long career. Kind of the Rusty Staub of hockey.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
ClassicHockey said:
The HHOF committee thought that the veteran's category had run its course and decided (wrongly in my opinion) to do away with the category. They did, at the same time, increase the maximum number of inductees from 3 to 4 to partly compensate for that. As if a veteran player can compete with players like Messier, Stevens etc.
vet player will never be able to comepete with the cureent players when messier francis stevens macinnis and the boys get entry to the hall they will all get in and no one who played a very long time ago will get a sniff!

btw do they have a placeonlie sowe can see past HOF voting?
It would be intresting to see who has been close togetting into the HOF but never did make it in!

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Lowetide said:
He didn't win a Stanley, he played on the 50s NYR and 60s Bruins (no great teams) and played a solid game. His numbers were compiled over a long career. Kind of the Rusty Staub of hockey.

well the nhl was a train league when he first started abd scroing was alot lower heis right up there with alot of the alltime greats points wise.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Leaf Lander said:
wekll the nhl was a train league when he first started abd scroing was alot lower heis right up there with alot of the alltime greats points wise.

Yes but he never got any black ink. Never led the league, never won a major award, never won a Stanley. He was a very good player who a coach could count on every winter for 20+ goals and solid two way play.

He did that for a long time, but didn't have any exceptional seasons, like, say, Johnny Bucyk.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Sounds a lot like Leo Boivin who got in with the veteran's category. I don't believe either Prentice and especially Boivin should be Hall of Famers. But the players who played with and against Prentice think he should be considered.

The HHOF keeps the voting results locked up and won't release the figures. It will not even list who the various nominees were for that year. That to me is more interesting - seeing who the people are that were considered. I think one reason why voting results are not made public is to not embarrass certain nominated players that didn't get much consideration.

Lowetide said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad