Prospect Info: Dean Kukan

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Hello Guys,

I was wondering what are the perspectives of Kukan in the Columbus Blue Jackets team ?

I had great hopes he would crack the NHL roster after 1 or 2 AHL years, but in fact, last year he didn't see 1 minute of NHL ice.

I know that he is not the blueline scorer ... and is not flashy. Yet he is a very good defender, since he played very successfully her in Switzerland, as well as in Sweden.
Generally his +/- are top notch.

But then, sometimes, talent does not translate well on smaller ice, and maybe also, more talents are requested than simply holding well the defense and being very fine in the transition game.

Do some of you know the player and have an opinion on him as well as his potential future in the NHL roster ?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Dean Kukan was not part of the CBJ Top 10 prospects as rated in the Future Watch edition of The Hockey News last spring. Since that time, Columbus drafted a few more prospects in June (albeit some of them are not at Kukan's position).

Dean Kukan was not part of the Columbus roster that skated at the just completed Traverse City Prospects tournament.

Several free agent invitees that skate at Kukan's position were on that roster; and they did quite well (Hayden Hodgson).

Dean Kukan was not on the roster or in Columbus for the rookie camp which took place in late June immediately after the draft.

Based upon the above facts, I will let you draw your own conclusion where he fits in the CBJ pecking order and his NHL chances.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He seems to be going down the same path as Cody Goloubef. Looks like he could be good, but doesn't seem to be progressing enough to actually make it at the NHL level.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Dean Kukan was not part of the CBJ Top 10 prospects as rated in the Future Watch edition of The Hockey News last spring. Since that time, Columbus drafted a few more prospects in June (albeit some of them are not at Kukan's position).

Dean Kukan was not part of the Columbus roster that skated at the just completed Traverse City Prospects tournament.

Several free agent invitees that skate at Kukan's position were on that roster; and they did quite well (Hayden Hodgson).

Dean Kukan was not on the roster or in Columbus for the rookie camp which took place in late June immediately after the draft.

Based upon the above facts, I will let you draw your own conclusion where he fits in the CBJ pecking order and his NHL chances.

Isn't HH a forward?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jones
Werenski
Savard
Johnson
Murray
Nutivaara
Carlsson
Harrington
Kukan

Am I missing anyone? I'm guessing Collins, despite good reviews from Traverse City, won't pass him on the depth chart. And I'd say that's about right for Kukan.

Add in the younger prospects who don't figure into the current depth chart but could in the next 2-3 years, and I'd say Kukan is pretty well slotted in.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009

Why should Kukan attend a Prospect Tournament when he's 24yo?

The oldest player there was 22, AHLers like Milano and Hännikäinen weren't there either, which doesn't automatically mean they're trash.

He was the best D-scorer for Cleveland last year altough he's not a very offensive minded player. So he hopefully get's a chance once a few call-ups are needed.
I liked him a lot during the last World Championship for us, but he really needs to get more physical in all aspects of the game. And his shot is below average

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
He got a late look on a bad team in '15-'16 and did very well (+9 in 8 games).

To start '16-'17, he simply got passed up by younger guys like Werenski, Nutivaara, and Carlsson (not to mention Gavrikov, if he was in N.A.). Add in guys like Seth Jones, Jack Johnson, David Savard, and there's just not a lot of room on the blue line in Columbus. He'd be a fine #7/8 guy, but Scott Harrington has locked down that role but Harrington must go through waivers while Kukan is still exempt. So it was less risky to send Kukan to Cleveland than Harrington (personally, I like Kukan better).

He's just behind a stacked D right now. Still a good player. May be a Cody Goloubef type - not flashy, but also perhaps never good enough to force himself onto an NHL roster. If there are a couple injuries or a trade that occurs, I suspect he'll see some time in Columbus. The Jackets were largely healthy on D last season which prevented him from seeing any time with the big club.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I liked Kukan's play in 2016, haven't seen him since. If I were him I'd try and get on a different team. The Jackets are just too deep it seems. I'd personally have him ahead of Harrington but I haven't seen enough of Kukan to know.

Kukan is 24. He's not supposed to be at those events.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's a very solid AHL defenseman who can play in the NHL for a few games and not look out of place. Hell, maybe he can be a 6 or 7 Dman in the NHL. However, it won't be in Columbus.

He looked good in his little NHL action two years ago. But he's been passed over and likely won't get anywhere close to the NHL with Columbus unless the plague hits the D Corps.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Kukan wouldn't be a bad throw-in for a trade with the Avs. They need defensive help and he'd have a good chance of playing for them right away.

Kukan showed potential when he was called up 2 seasons ago. There's just little room for a rookie like him when there's more defensively solid prospects like Gabriel Carlsson.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wanted Kukan above Nutivaara and Harrington last year as a 6/7. I still feel he can be a 6 on a lot of teams but he won't be liked by many fans because he doesn't score. He's just never going to be that here with the talent we have unless we really sell off a **** ton of guys for some reason.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Was a huge fan of his game when he got called up to the big club.. mobile and smart. Haven't saw him since... seems to have "disappeared off the radar" among the CBJ fan base.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

Looks like Kukan will be leaving Cleveland after this season and returning to switzerland. Pretty much seems inevitable that his NA career/CBJ career will be done.

This is a weird one for me. When Kukan got called up for a few games in the 15-16 season, I thought he was incredible in those games. +9 in those 8 games, yeah yeah... “plus/minus” talk. But, honestly. I thought he looked tremendous. He’s never really been given a fair chance to show what he has at the NHL level. Shame. Wish him the best if he is in fact leaving NA after this season.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kukan only looked good that year because that team was a tire fire. He was OK. He's a minor league defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad