Confirmed with Link: Dean Brown signs 7-year deal as voice of Sens on TSN1200

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Has Dean called every Sens game (either on TV or on the radio)?

Quick look suggests he's been on radio for Ottawa since they've started.
But not sure if he's missed games due to sick days or national commitments.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Quick look suggests he's been on radio for Ottawa since they've started.
But not sure if he's missed games due to sick days or national commitments.

Yes, Dean and Gord have been doing radio/tv for the Sens since 1992 (not sure if he has missed a game or two for personal reasons etc). Dean tends to be much more focused on the game when calling it on radio. Him and Gordo are a great duo. This is good.

Sorry, AJ. It's back to the 67's for you.

I guess that means Schreibs is done with the Sens at least. I know his health hasn't been great.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
This is not good news. I work at night most of the time but I just can't listen to those two clowns. The homerism is off the charts.

Homerism on a regional NHL game....say it isn't so /sarcasm

If you dont like homerism I suggest not watching/listening to any sport team's individual broadcast and instead turn on a national feed (unless we are talking CBC which is pro leaf)

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
their homerism is normal, it's just their inside jokes and tangents unfocuses them from the game, which i don't mind so i'm fine

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
ya i want anti-sens commentators

I just don't like the way they call for a penalty every time a Sens player is touched while claiming that every Sens penalty is illegitimate. It greatly contributes to the ridiculous notion around here that the referees have it out for the Sens.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
SCRAMBLEEEE!! Good for Dean. Gonna miss him on TV.

So who's our TSN announcer? Chris Cuthbert?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
SCRAMBLEEEE!! Good for Dean. Gonna miss him on TV.

So who's our TSN announcer? Chris Cuthbert?

Not sure if TSN announced their crews or not.
It's possible that they just broadcast the radio call on TV. Pretty sure that Sportsnet used to do that, and I've noticed some other radio networks for teams just share the TV/radio play by play.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I just don't like the way they call for a penalty every time a Sens player is touched while claiming that every Sens penalty is illegitimate. It greatly contributes to the ridiculous notion around here that the referees have it out for the Sens.

Did you not watch those Montreal/Toronto games where the refs inner fan was clearly showing this year?

Dean calls em right.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Not sure if TSN announced their crews or not.
It's possible that they just broadcast the radio call on TV. Pretty sure that Sportsnet used to do that, and I've noticed some other radio networks for teams just share the TV/radio play by play.

Haha that's pretty budget, makes sense that Sportsnet did it, but can't see TSN doing the same.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=728568

McLennan was excited about doing colour but I'm unfamiliar with him.

Niiice:) More Cuthbert the better IMO.

Hope we get the same guy for all 52 games. The benefit of having Dean was that he knew EVERYTHING about the Sens since he'd been there for so long. He could add interesting tidbits here and there that others couldn't. Then come Saturday you had the HNIC announcer who was just spouting off basic stuff about the Sens which was common knowledge among die hard fans.

Not sure where I'm going with this...I just want our new announcer to be permanent and dedicated.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I'll back you up on that one. Gord in particular is the worst when it comes to the whining. I'll be listening on the radio and you would think that an opposing player had just removed a Senators player's spleen with his stick in plain view of the official with the way Gord goes on and on. Come home, check the PVR, and you don't have a clue which game Gord was watching. I get that the home team's radio broadcast team are going to wave the pom poms occasionally, but it gets a little much sometimes.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Haha that's pretty budget, makes sense that Sportsnet did it, but can't see TSN doing the same.

Niiice:) More Cuthbert the better IMO.

Hope we get the same guy for all 52 games. The benefit of having Dean was that he knew EVERYTHING about the Sens since he'd been there for so long. He could add interesting tidbits here and there that others couldn't. Then come Saturday you had the HNIC announcer who was just spouting off basic stuff about the Sens which was common knowledge among die hard fans.

Not sure where I'm going with this...I just want our new announcer to be permanent and dedicated.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure we'll get our wish. It seems we will be seeing some of both broadcast teams. I'm not sure how they'll divide it all up though. Other teams' games and travels schedules will likely be the deciding factors. I'd really rather have just one broadcast team. Plus it would reduce inevitable complaining (ie. aw man that Ferraro guy again!) in GDT's, although I will say that I do not have an issue with any of the 4 personalities. I'm not sure what the feel of the broadcast is though. Dean always had a way of making sure we felt it was "our" team. The game calls might feel a little more clinical now.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Could be worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad