Proposal: Deals with DAL and EDM that would set the team straight

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Alright the biggest problem for our team right now is depth. We won a cup because we had two first lines a second line and a third line. Now we have a 1st, 2nd and two 4ths... Jay Pandolfo couldn't crack the Islanders so how is he on our 3rd line. Jordan Caron is young and still isin't quite there yet. People need to lay off Pevs because he wins faceoffs, plays good d and has to play with the two aformentioned players...

We need to get a couple wingers for two reasons. A)to fix the Peverly line and B) so that Thornton can sit to start the playoffs until someone gets hurt. These players need to have grit and a high energy level, we do not need any more passengers so pass on Hemsky, Jagr, etc.

First move:
To Dallas: Koklachev, Bartowski, Svedberg and 2nd round pick
To Boston: Stephane Robidas and Ray Whitney

Whitney might be old but he is playing at a high level and is known as a fierce competitor. He would instantly help the Peverly line and he would go to town on other teams 3rd defensive pairings.

Ference has been a great player for us in the past.I love the guy. Unfortunatley it looks like his game is starting to slip. Robidas is similar to Ference in that he is a warrior who doesn't cut corners but his game is probably closer to Seidenbergs. He can log huge minutes and do everything. He is not quite as fast as Ference but in almost all other aspects he is a Ference 2.0. He and Boychuk would make a heck of a pair. He is also signed at a cap hit of 3.3 million for the next couple of years so it would allow us to let Ference walk at the end of the season if he doesn't want to take a hometown discount.

Second move:
To Edmonton: 1st Round Pick, Adam McQuaid, Jordan Caron
To Boston: Magnus Paarjavi and Ryan Smyth

With the addition of the Dallas guys we will be tight up against the cap after resigning Rask in the offseason so there is a good chance Horton walks. Paarjavi would be the replacement in the top 9 for next season. He would not be expected to make an impact this year. Paarjavi is expendable in Edmonton and they are looking for the type of hard-nosed defenseman that McQuaid is. Would hate to see him go but you have to give up something to get something. Caron gives them a dependable defensive player for their 3rd line to complement their stars on the top two lines. The 1st round pick allows them to recoup some of the potential they are losing in Paarjavi. Finally Ryan Smythe can start on the 4th line but should an injury occur he is capable of playing anywhere in the lineup. He still has some gas left in the tank and there is no question that he gives every ounce he has every time he laces them up. Park him in front of the net on the 2nd powerplay unit and some pucks will get to the back of the net.

So here is my hypothetical Bruins team:

Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Lucic Krejci Horton
Whitney Kelly (when healthy) Peverley
Smyth Campbell Paille (Thornton and Daugevins are scratches)

Chara Seidenberg
Robidas Boychuk
Ference Hamilton

1st PP:
Lucic Seguin Horton
Krejci Hamilton

2nd PP:
Marchand Bergeron Smyth
Whitney Chara

GodTukka*

I'd be all for Robidas as he's very underrated as a defender, Whitney i'm not too crazy about.

As for that Edmonton deal...no thanks

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Not that much of a fan of the Edmonton deal, Quaider is a decent #6 and his nastiness is nice to have at the back end, wouldn't be too comfortable with two smaller guys in Ference and Robidas on D, Smtyh is done IMO.

I like the first deal, spot on with Robidas. I'd rather not give up too quickly on Svedberg though. Whitney has an NMC and is signed to a multi year deal but I'd love him on the Bs.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
The Dallas one I'd be interested in and with the current play of Subban, makes sense however giving up on Svedberg is going to be difficult IMO. We have three goalies that are going to be difficult to pick and choose where we go with it. I like Robidas but coupled in the fact that we throw in Khokhlachev scares me just a bit. That's two guys involved in a fairly large package for older veterans. I'm a big fan of youth and bringing in vets where you aren't giving up a whole lot but to me, this seems a bit much.

The Edmonton one is more intriguing as I'm a fan of MPS and what he brings to the table. However at the expense of a first round pick in a deep draft is a tough pill to swallow. I don't know if he exactly solves our problems of the future, but definitely gives us another big-bodied winger with skill which we need. personally I would like to see him here. I'd eventually make that deal, were Edmonton interested.

In terms of value, I think you are pretty darn close.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
We have $11M (including Savard on LTIR) to re-sign Rask, Khudobin, a 7th dman, one top 6 forward and 2 bottom 6 forward. You are adding $10M in only 3 players, 2 of them are 35+, and I'm not sure if the Bruins would be able to buyout (compliance).

Definitely no to both proposals.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
First move:

Love the idea of adding Robidas. Underrated two-way guy with pluck. Very affordable in 2013-14... but he's got a NTC (as does Whitney) and I'm not sure that this deal gets it done... Whitney I'm not as high on (*because* he has another year left) but he's still producing solidly and we can buy him out. FWIW, Jagr doesn't have a NTC and has just a year left. (though reports of him negotiating an extension could be a bad sign).

Aside from the NTC's the biggest obstacle would be their price-tags. Excluding Svedberg, I think Robidas could cost the rest of the deal by itself. Dallas also has solid 'tending talent in the pipeline and won't necessarily be too enamored with Sveddy. Upping the pick to a first gets us closer - but even then I'm not certain.

Second move:
To Edmonton: 1st Round Pick, Adam McQuaid, Jordan Caron
To Boston: Magnus Paarjavi and Ryan Smyth

I'm far less bullish on this end of the deal. At this point in his career, Smyth is a borderline third-line producer. Throwing him in the B's lineup slows down the B's bottom-six as well - and I can't be certain EDM would move him.

Paajarvi has significant upside, but he doesn't do much to help the Bruins this year. Right now, his possession game (particularly in the O-zone) is below replacement-level and he's not exactly scoring in bunches... plus, the Oil will be reticent to deal him when his value is so low for much less than what I'd consider an overpayment.

I don't like the idea of dealing a cheap, solid 6D with oodles of toughness for this package. Adding in the 1st in a deep draft - and Jordan Caron (who, despite his offensive struggles, knows the system and is a decent defensive player) ... and I just don't see this as a win for the Bruins.

So, I like the first deal (though it would cost more than the OP suggests, IMO) and not the second. Unfortunately, I think Robidas, with a year left on his current deal, is too cost-efficient for Nieuwendyk to move... or he could veto a trade. Whitney may or may not have the B's on his No-trade list.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
First deal is interesting, but I would hate to give up Svedberg. That likely leaves the Bruins trolling around trying to find a backup goalie on the very cheap next year. I figure Khudobin will be too expensive to keep as a backup next year, someone will pay him a couple million to compete for a starting job

Second deal. Ryan Smith is a non starter. There is nothing left in that tank, and he just can't skate at an NHL level anymore. I do like MPS, and would give up value to get a core player like him

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
The Dallas one I'd be interested in and with the current play of Subban, makes sense however giving up on Svedberg is going to be difficult IMO. We have three goalies that are going to be difficult to pick and choose where we go with it. I like Robidas but coupled in the fact that we throw in Khokhlachev scares me just a bit. That's two guys involved in a fairly large package for older veterans. I'm a big fan of youth and bringing in vets where you aren't giving up a whole lot but to me, this seems a bit much.

The Edmonton one is more intriguing as I'm a fan of MPS and what he brings to the table. However at the expense of a first round pick in a deep draft is a tough pill to swallow. I don't know if he exactly solves our problems of the future, but definitely gives us another big-bodied winger with skill which we need. personally I would like to see him here. I'd eventually make that deal, were Edmonton interested.

In terms of value, I think you are pretty darn close.

The two bolded statements above are why I stand pat this season. I don't want to trade away our future in Koko and our 1st to try to fix a team that is NOT going anywhere in the playoffs based on how the have been playing over the last few weeks. We can add a Clowe or a Paajarvi, or whatever....it is not going to catapult us to the SC finals.
Nope...To me it is wiser to do nothing and see what you can do in the offseason.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Svedberg will be a starter in this league. Wouldn't be surprised if he competes with someone in the future. Count on it. Guy is good.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
First move:

Whitney might be old but he is playing at a high level and is known as a fierce competitor. He would instantly help the Peverly line and he would go to town on other teams 3rd defensive pairings.

Nice overall effort on post. But Whitney is 40 years, and has only played 17 games in '13. Robidas is 36 years, and has 10 points. Giving up three top prospects, plus a 2nd round pick, is a lesson in how to get old in a hurry and absolute overpayment.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have one word for both deals:

Overpayment.

Three of the four guys you have the B's acquiring are applying for AARP privileges next year, with MPS being the only youngster. I love Robidas, and MPS is OK, but you have the B's giving up far too much.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
NO to both deals, espcially the Dallas one, massive over payment, Robidas is a decent dman, but Whitney don't want him, only way I would do that deal is if we keep our top picks and prospects out of it, therefore I would never give up Koko and Svedberg in that sort of deal. If they would except say Bartkowski, Caron Camper and a 2nd/3rd then fine otherwise no way. If we trade Koko, Knight etc.. has to be in a deal for a 1st liner otherwise just keep the kids and pass on these scrub rentals.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
a little OT

RE: Edmonton's desire for hard-nosed D-man.

Don't they have Colten Tuebert in the minors? I haven't kept up with his development - but he was a high pick not too-too long ago, had some snarl then (but I think D. Lombardi said Tuerbert needed to learn how to control his physicality, I think it was leading to too many penalties).

For anyone that has been watching him, I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

Also, don't they have Fistric, Peckham and Sutton? All fairly gritty stay at home types.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
THIS JUST IN:

Dallas and Edmonton are 1 point out of a playoff spot. Edmonton in particular badly needs to show the fan base that it wants to win. Do not be surprised to see Edmonton buy at the deadline, and at great cost.

premierplayer

Aug 2, 2010
Glad you aren't a GM. These deals are terrible. All because the players are good in NHL 13 video games doesn't mean you trade young talent. You really think a handful of scrubs are putting the bruins over the top?

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Glad you aren't a GM. These deals are terrible. All because the players are good in NHL 13 video games doesn't mean you trade young talent. You really think a handful of scrubs are putting the bruins over the top?

I don't know anything about how they are in NHL 13 or whatever it is. The deal might be overpayment but if you think these players are scrubs you don't watch much hockey.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Lots of good insight here. I agree that the cap hit would be a big issue as well as the age of the players. Also like that people aren't selling Svedberg short. Again just my idea lets hope things work out well in the next few days. In Chia we trust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad