Deadline Rosters in AHL

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Does anyone know how that all works? Am I right to say that the way the AHL works now is that a player must be on a minor league team roster at the deadline of 3pm Eastern in order to play in the AHL at any point the rest of that season? I know they FINALLY did away with the clearday roster since it had the strength wet toilet paper.

So for example since Colton Paryako wasn't on the Chicago Wolves roster at 3pm eastern, he is ineligible to play for Chicago this season. Thanks in advance.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Exactly. A number of teams have done "paper" transactions to have the various players "assigned" from the NHL team to the AHL team by noon PT (3pm ET) and then recalled them.

Teams have 4 recalls post TDL during the season, unless an emergency.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Exactly. A number of teams have done "paper" transactions to have the various players "assigned" from the NHL team to the AHL team by noon PT (3pm ET) and then recalled them.

So then it stands to reason that all of the players called up earlier today by Toronto are now no longer eligible to play for the marlies the rest of the regular season and playoffs. Since they weren't on the marlies roster at 3 pm eastern.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
Another way to wreck minor league hockey. Awesome.

I don't like this either. I do miss the clear day format, even with all its loopholes.

So you're saying that if a player had played 50 AHL games, gets recalled to the NHL and isn't on the paper AHL roster at the time of the deadline he's ineligible for the playoffs?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
So then it stands to reason that all of the players called up earlier today by Toronto are now no longer eligible to play for the marlies the rest of the regular season and playoffs. Since they weren't on the marlies roster at 3 pm eastern.
I believe they were all papered and recalled after 3pm.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I don't like this either. I do miss the clear day format, even with all its loopholes.

So you're saying that if a player had played 50 AHL games, gets recalled to the NHL and isn't on the paper AHL roster at the time of the deadline he's ineligible for the playoffs?
correct... But, in reality the player doesn't physically have to leave the NHL club. The team just needs to assign that player to the AHL roster prior to 3pm and then recall them at 3:01pm. Boom. Done Deal.

The only exception would be a player that needs waivers. They have to be placed on waivers the day prior to the deadline so they have can clear and be assigned by 3pm. Waiver rules still apply to those players after the deadline.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I believe they were all papered and recalled after 3pm.

No...Nylander,Kapanen, Hyman and the other 2 were all recalled in the am, practiced with the big club and then played last night...so they were not on the marlie roster at 3 pm eastern...there were multiple reports about them practicing, interviews etc. They were never papered back down after the recall and then recalled again...Lou called them up in am instead of waiting til after 3

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
No...Nylander,Kapanen, Hyman and the other 2 were all recalled in the am, practiced with the big club and then played last night...so they were not on the marlie roster at 3 pm eastern...there were multiple reports about them practicing, interviews etc. They were never papered back down after the recall and then recalled again...Lou called them up in am instead of waiting til after 3

That's exactly who I was thinking of with this rule.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

not exactly a perfect source but McGran is a beat guy for the Leafs.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
They were recalled in the morning, practiced with the Leafs, assigned back to the Marlies, recalled after 3pm and played last night.... Don't go by the AHL transaction page because its handled by each individual team and they likely didn't enter the information on time or frankly at all.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
They were recalled in the morning, practiced with the Leafs, assigned back to the Marlies, recalled after 3pm and played last night.... Don't go by the AHL transaction page because its handled by each individual team and they likely didn't enter the information on time or frankly at all.

Then it would be frankly at all because that's exactly where I looked....weird that every other team entered their transactions in timely manner except toronto.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Then it would be frankly at all because that's exactly where I looked....weird that every other team entered their transactions in timely manner except toronto.
Lamoriello had to have the Marlies playoff roster set by 3 p.m., so those at the morning skate were sent down, called back and then assessed as either emergency call-ups or part of the regular four-man limit. He said he wasn’t worried about prospects such as Nylander playing more than 10 games and losing a year off his entry level contract.

“That didn’t enter into our decision. It’s what’s best for their development,” Lamoriello said.

Toronto Sun

It would appear the Marlies staff only entered the transaction once.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Toronto Sun

It would appear the Marlies staff only entered the transaction once.

Ok but then the bigger question is....Why are the individual teams able to access the AHL site and make changes, shouldn't that be the league that updates and monitors the site?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Ok but then the bigger question is....Why are the individual teams able to access the AHL site and make changes, shouldn't that be the league that updates and monitors the site?

That's how the league set it up.... That said, I agree I would think it would be handled by the league.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Does this only apply to players in the NHL or are guys on loan to the ECHL as of the trade deadline playoff ineligible too?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

Any definition out there of what constitutes an "emergency". Seems like that definition was pretty vague in past years.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Any definition out there of what constitutes an "emergency". Seems like that definition was pretty vague in past years.

An "emergency" is only when a team does not have 2 goaltenders, 6 defenseman and 12 forwards on its active (meaning "not injured") roster. A player can then be recalled from the AHL to meet those minimum numbers, but must be returned to the minors as soon as the emergency conditions are over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad