Speculation: Deadline predictions

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Leading up to what amount to the most exciting day we have to look forward to before the draft, I thought it might be fun to make some predictions for fun and profit*! For the purpose of this exercise, the JJ/Staal trades do not count, and the questions apply only to the week leading up to the deadline, and deadline day itself (ie a Sabres trade on Sunday the 4th is excluded from final numbers, but one made at 12:01am on the 5th does count). Any references to Roster Players does not include taxi squad - to be eligible as a roster player, a player must have played at least 50% of the games this season, barring injury to long-time roster players (ex. Girgensons). So without further ado:

1) How many current roster players do the Sabres trade?

2) How many non-roster players do the Sabres trade?

3) Do the Sabres trade out more assets (players+picks) than they acquire, acquire more than they trade out, or an equal amount?

4) After the deadline, the Sabres cap number will be: higher, lower, the same (within 100k)?

5) Prop: The Sabres acquire a player with a cap hit at or above 3.65m?

6) Prop: The Sabres move more than 2 players (roster or non-roster) who have contracts that last beyond this season (not UFA/RFA)?

7) Prop: The total combined NHL point total of departing roster players this season is higher, lower, or identical to the combined NHL point total of incoming roster players?

8) Yes/No: The Sabres trade a player who has worn either an A or a C at the AHL or NHL level?

*Bragging rights

Reactions: 2 others

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Leading up to what amount to the most exciting day we have to look forward to before the draft, I thought it might be fun to make some predictions for fun and profit*! For the purpose of this exercise, the JJ/Staal trades do not count, and the questions apply only to the week leading up to the deadline, and deadline day itself (ie a Sabres trade on Sunday the 4th is excluded from final numbers, but one made at 12:01am on the 5th does count). Any references to Roster Players does not include taxi squad - to be eligible as a roster player, a player must have played at least 50% of the games this season, barring injury to long-time roster players (ex. Girgensons). So without further ado:

1) How many current roster players do the Sabres trade? 2

2) How many non-roster players do the Sabres trade? 0

3) Do the Sabres trade out more assets (players+picks) than they acquire, acquire more than they trade out, or an equal amount? Equal

4) After the deadline, the Sabres cap number will be: higher, lower, the same (within 100k)? Don't care

5) Prop: The Sabres acquire a player with a cap hit at or above 3.65m? Nope

6) Prop: The Sabres move more than 2 players (roster or non-roster) who have contracts that last beyond this season (not UFA/RFA)? Nope

7) Prop: The total combined NHL point total of departing roster players this season is higher, lower, or identical to the combined NHL point total of incoming roster players? Higher

8) Yes/No: The Sabres trade a player who has worn either an A or a C at the AHL or NHL level? Nope

*Bragging rights

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

1) How many current roster players do the Sabres trade? 4 (Hall, Montour and 2 others)

2) How many non-roster players do the Sabres trade? 0

3) Do the Sabres trade out more assets (players+picks) than they acquire, acquire more than they trade out, or an equal amount? They acquire more when you combine players and picks

4) After the deadline, the Sabres cap number will be: higher, lower, the same (within 100k)? Lower.

5) Prop: The Sabres acquire a player with a cap hit at or above 3.65m? No

6) Prop: The Sabres move more than 2 players (roster or non-roster) who have contracts that last beyond this season (not UFA/RFA)? No

7) Prop: The total combined NHL point total of departing roster players this season is higher, lower, or identical to the combined NHL point total of incoming roster players? Higher

8) Yes/No: The Sabres trade a player who has worn either an A or a C at the AHL or NHL level? A assume Hall has worn an A in the NHL at some point? So yes.

*Bragging rights

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Hall- 2nd round pick
Montour- 2nd round pick
Miller- 3rd round pick + Retention

Hall - 1st round pick and a salary
Montour, 2nd or 2 thirds
Miller - 3rd
Ristolainen - 2nd and prospect. I want him to go somewhere else, for him. I love the player, but he deserves a chance to succeed elsewhere.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Hall- 2nd round pick
Montour- 2nd round pick
Miller- 3rd round pick + Retention

Hall - 1st round pick and a salary
Montour, 2nd or 2 thirds
Miller - 3rd
Ristolainen - 2nd and prospect. I want him to go somewhere else, for him. I love the player, but he deserves a chance to succeed elsewhere.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't, I also don't think he moves.

COVID season is gonna make TDL real quiet this year.
I imagine he is like the expiring fruit at the entrance to a grocery store. People calling Adams are most likely told "Miller could be had, it won't be a big ask and everyone needs strawber.. I mean depth defense." They then proceed to say he looks spoiled and is Montour/Risto on the board. This year is the inverse of other years where it actually hurts to not be a pending FA.

We have a few pieces that teams could see as cheap, inexpensive depth that could get us mid round picks or stabs at non high tier prospects.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Does anyone *really* believe Miller will get a third??

he could with retention making him a zero cost player this year? Retention woukd be around 22% putting him at slightly under $3M for next year

remember

1. If they trade him then have to expose Ristolainen in ED
2 buffalo have only 2 retains left to use

it’s unlikely they trade Miller...they’d more likely trade Risto for a haul.

Rist at 22% retained is around $4.2M for next year, free for this year thus all teams are in play. Return woukd be a 1+2+ decent prospect

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
he could with retention making him a zero cost player this year? Retention woukd be around 22% putting him at slightly under $3M for next year

remember

1. If they trade him then have to expose Ristolainen in ED
2 buffalo have only 2 retains left to use

it’s unlikely they trade Miller...they’d more likely trade Risto for a haul.

Rist at 22% retained is around $4.2M for next year, free for this year thus all teams are in play. Return woukd be a 1+2+ decent prospect
People have to stop with this notion that if we trade a dman, we have to expose Risto or Joki. There are easy solutions around this. If you can get a 7th for Miller...do it

tunaboy

Dec 22, 2016
HALL = FIRST ROUND PICK MONTOUR = SECOND ROUND PICK MILLER = FOURTH ROUND MAYBE LATTER RISTO = FIRST ROUNDER EAKINS =THIRD

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Lot of people in this thread got zeros on those high school quizzes where the directions at the top of the page say to write your name on it and nothing else.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Just a Hall trade that’s about it. Anything else (Miller, Eakin) is cool but I don’t expect much out of that.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Spoiler alert, no one wants Miller or Eakin. I expect Hall and Montour to go with salary retained. My wildcard is Ristolainen who I think could go. I’m praying they don’t trade mitts

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad