Dead last is locked up.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can we just cancel the last 11 games now? Nobody wants to watch them, we've got last locked up, and coronavirus is starting to take off here in the states. I don't see any sense in playing those games.

Literally the only reason to play these games out is as scrimmages for the kids. There's value there at least. It's difficult for me to remember a time when the games mattered less. Having last locked up with so much time remaining... yikes.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
nice to know we have three players to choose from now. so who do we want rossi/drysdale or Raymond

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No you're not. 4th pick doesn't mean that's the 4th best player. Go revisit any draft to prove it to yourself. For the record I would be devastated if we didn't get a top 3 pick. We are clearly the worst team in the league over 20 points LOWER than the second worst team! This season has been very painful to watch and we never get lucky I'm so sick of all of this bs....

Fourth best player on our draft board doesn’t mean they will be the fourth best player. I’m not even suggesting that.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Literally the only reason to play these games out is as scrimmages for the kids. There's value there at least. It's difficult for me to remember a time when the games mattered less. Having last locked up with so much time remaining... yikes.

Most of these guys are RFAs and playing for their next contract so these games matter with regard to their future at least.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Can we just cancel the last 11 games now? Nobody wants to watch them, we've got last locked up, and coronavirus is starting to take off here in the states. I don't see any sense in playing those games.

No..?

They are playing their best hockey right now, when the tank-mode is off.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Hahaha but then all the remaining opposing teams won't get their Bye.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So is that why the games have been half empty most of the season? Covid-19? :sarcasm:

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I understand the league wants to solve a tanking problem (that isn't even that bad) but it's absolutely asinine for a team on pace to be one of the worst teams ever and only have an 18.5 chance at 1st overall.

Theses leagues (NHL and NBA) hate tanking but created a system that this is the only way to become good.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
It's good to secure a top 4, i'm really trying to control my hype and expectations. I can't help but to keep thinking about the hype for Hughes and Kakko, and the season they are both having right now, and the expectations versus reality.

I am not, at all, declaring bust, or even hinting, but the moves New Jersey made in the offseason, people were pretty high on the team they were taking into this season, some thought they had a chance to compete for a bottom playoff spot.

Point being, even if it is first overall, it doesn't mean we are all of a sudden going to be better in the short term. There's still a lot of work to do to improve this team, and there's a couple years ahead similar to this season. I'm trying to remain realistic, and keeping my expectations in check. Having a talented player to help build around is exciting though.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I did not know that the last 3 seasons we were bumped down each season.

This time we get 4th at worst.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
So, the draft lottery system doesn't discourage tanking after all, it's sole purpose. I'll set that up here. And actually, it's made tanking more imperative, because if they had better picks each round, the last few times they got bumped, then there would be less need for better picks now. The drafty lottery encourages tanking.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Securing last... automatic top 4 draft pick... not a bad season after all.:help:

In all seriousness though, if we don’t get Lafreniere or Stutzle I will be vastly disappointed. I’m not saying the other top candidates are in any means “busts” or don’t have the potential to be superstars of their own, but since prior to Christmas those have been the players I have been watching closely (lafreniere by default since he’s always being talked about) and I think it would be a travesty if the worst team doesn’t get one of the best players...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Securing last... automatic top 4 draft pick... not a bad season after all.:help:

In all seriousness though, if we don’t get Lafreniere or Stutzle I will be vastly disappointed. I’m not saying the other top candidates are in any means “busts” or don’t have the potential to be superstars of their own, but since prior to Christmas those have been the players I have been watching closely (lafreniere by default since he’s always being talked about) and I think it would be a travesty if the worst team doesn’t get one of the best players...

Yzerman was picked 4th and had a much better career than the 3 picked before him.
Forsberg had a better career than Lindros.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The goal when you are terrible is to maximize your chances of acquiring young, cheap elite talent. We did everything we could this year and have positioned our team to acquire an elite talent at the draft. The closest we came to tanking was trading off Tatar, Nyquist and Athanasiou. That's not tanking, none of those guys are true difference makers. Sure if we overpaid for all of them and kept them around we would have missed the playoffs at a much later date but hey we already went down that path with Holland signing our RFAs and UFAs to terrible contracts and look where that got us.

We've maximized our chances at eventually being good again in 4-5 years. Now it is up to our scouts. Thank god the NA scouting department was revamped this season.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
The goal when you are terrible is to maximize your chances of acquiring young, cheap elite talent. We did everything we could this year and have positioned our team to acquire an elite talent at the draft. The closest we came to tanking was trading off Tatar, Nyquist and Athanasiou. That's not tanking, none of those guys are true difference makers. Sure if we overpaid for all of them and kept them around we would have missed the playoffs at a much later date but hey we already went down that path with Holland signing our RFAs and UFAs to terrible contracts and look where that got us.

We've maximized our chances at eventually being good again in 4-5 years. Now it is up to our scouts. Thank god the NA scouting department was revamped this season.

I still have nightmares about the horrible NA focused 2017 draft.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Annoying on the main boards hearing lots of crap from playoff teams fans that the lottery should be equal like it was in 2005 because 70 games isn't enough to determine a fair draft lottery setup! Not only that, but we literally already took home dead last. If this ends up being anything close to reality I would call conspiracy BS!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Annoying on the main boards hearing lots of crap from playoff teams fans that the lottery should be equal like it was in 2005 because 70 games isn't enough to determine a fair draft lottery setup! Not only that, but we literally already took home dead last. If this ends up being anything close to reality I would call conspiracy BS!
The main board is nothing to worry about. They are always wrong.

Reactions: Oddbob

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Still think the draft lottery needs tweeking. There is no way a team that missed the playoffs by a point on the last night of the year should have a shot at 1st overall. Max a team should b able to move up is 5 spots or something. I mean it is what it is, and we'll end up with a great player regardless.. but if a team just outside the playoffs wins the laf lottery, imma be piiiiiiiissssed..

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Still think the draft lottery needs tweeking. There is no way a team that missed the playoffs by a point on the last night of the year should have a shot at 1st overall. Max a team should b able to move up is 5 spots or something. I mean it is what it is, and we'll end up with a great player regardless.. but if a team just outside the playoffs wins the laf lottery, imma be piiiiiiiissssed..
You know the lottery system will be tweaked eventually, it just sucks that the Wings are a bottom feeder right in the moment in time where being a bottomfeeder gives you the worst odds at high picks.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Imagine an Avs fan on the main board of all fans complaining that the Avs are getting screwed if the season is scratched and not getting to be part of the draft lottery. Would he have that same issue in 16-17 when the Avs were our level of bad? Not bloody likely!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad