DD's Auction Game 2.0 (MUST UPDATE ROSTERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
PLEASE READ ENTIRE OP BEFORE POSTING

First and foremost, if you're in WK/KLLR's game, keep participating in it. This will not start until Sunday no matter what so don't ask me to change the date. I am only putting this up now to allow time for people to join, and because I will be pretty busy the next couple of days. The first version of this game went really well until the last couple of days where I admittedly really screwed up by pushing back the last day a couple of times. That won't happen this time. The Division Commishes will most likely be Dong, CBK, WK, Jay, and myself. So we need at least one more. PM me if you're interested, but just to warn you now, it's quite a bit of work and I will only be taking people I know and trust. Don't take it personally if I tell you no.

This is a game where you build your roster from scratch - you quite literally start out with nothing but a name and a fat load of cash. Your task is to build the most competitive team in the league within 5 days and ultimately win the Stanley Cup. But instead of a boring old fantasy draft or starting out with a team and making moves accordingly, you actually get to bid on players. Sounds confusing? Don't worry, it'll all be explained in detail here:

How this is gonna work is that each day, each Division Commisioner will choose one of the teams in their division, and every player on that team will be put up for auction. The next day, they choose another team, and so on until all 5 teams in each division have been auctioned off. So everyday, there'll be 6 teams' players up for auctions.

The actual auctions are quite simple, really. You see a player on a team you like, you wait for the day his team goes up for auction, and you send a PM to the Division Commissioner including your team name, the player you're bidding for, and the amount you're bidding in the title. For those of you that need an example, look no further than here:
nzog2u.png

Just like that. Any bid titles that are not formatted like that will be ignored, and whining about this rule could result in possible loss of cap space, and even removal as GM. This will be strictly enforced, so don't try and get around it. It's hard enough for us division commissioners as is, we don't need you to make it any harder by *****ing because you couldn't read the entire OP.

You do not need to include any reasoning in the PM, as it will be ignored. Also, NTCs, term length, and captaincy mean nothing in this game. Money is all that matters.

The bidding will end at 9:59PM EST everyday, so you have no excuse to not get your bid in, even if you're going to be out for the night or have a hot date. :naughty: The commissioners will update it at least once an hour, possibly more, with the most frequent updates falling from 8PM to 10PM EST. Within an hour of the deadline closing, the winners of each player will be announced.

If you check and see that you do not have the highest bid but would like to beat it, you must offer at least .25M more than the current highest bid for it to be valid, even on a lower end player. So if, say, the highest bid on Zach Parise is 8M, you have to offer at least 8.25M, or else it will not count. Bids also have to be made in these increments (so .25, .5, 1.75, etc.) If you send in a bid for 4.1667M, if will be rounded up, no matter how far away it is. Yes, 4.000000001M will be rounded up to 4.25M.

Please do not post in the Division threads, as they are for checking the highest bids and seeing if you got said players only. If you want to discuss the game or who got who, please use this thread only. This thread is for updates on the game and discussion, while the division threads are for keeping track of bids only. Any posts in the division threads will be ignored.

Division Commissioners will be able to bid on players from the teams they're the commish of. However, they can't bid on a player from that team in the last hour unless they have a bid before the last hour (so before 9:00). They must also inform me before bidding again in the last hour. I will inform another commish if I'm doing this. This will be kind of a trust system, but I've chosen commishes I trust for a reason.

You are responsible for keeping up your own roster, and only you. I will put up a roster thread for this. Capgeek is more than perfect for this, and it won't take more than half an hour to put up a finished roster. If you don't post a roster, you don't play. Simple as that.

THERE WILL BE NO TRADING. It's confusing enough sorting all of this out, and it'd only complicate things. If you want a player badly enough, you'll pay for him monetarily. That kind of defeats the purpose of this game anyways, since this is about how you manage your cap. Trading a player because you managed your money poorly would really not match the purpose of this game.

Again, do not complain if you miss out on a player or get beat out by a last minute bid. You're the only one the blame, and there will be discipline if it gets out of hand. We do have something to prevent quite a bit of sniping and make the game even more fun though:

Extra Bidding

The three best/most popular (determined by Commish) players from every team will have their own thread (so 6 threads) where you can bid for an extra half hour after 10PM EST. We feel this will make it more fair and also won't be hard on time.

Rules for Extra Bidding

1. Same as regular bidding but not using pms, there will be a thread similar to this - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1349765 - where you place bids
2. No talkback in the threads, they're going to be cluttered enough as is
3. Starts at 10:01 EST, ends at 10:30 EST, however to prevent sniping on these players, if a player is bidded on in the last five minutes another five minutes will be added onto the clock for that player. So if Crosby gets a bid at 10:29, the clock to bid on him will end at 10:34 (you can't bid on him at 10:34).
4. Bidding will start at whatever the highest pm bids were for the 3 players

I understand this is kind of complicated so please pm me if you have any kind of question.

Bid Amnesties

You will need to be careful with your bids, but almost everybody will make a mistake. Somebody will bid on two first line centers and win both, or two starting goalies, etc. To compensate for this, each team will have two bid amnesties. If you win a player you don't want for whatever reason, you can use a bid amnesty and the next highest bid will win that player instead. That next person can also an amnesty if they too don't want that player. If it comes to that, the third highest bidder wins the player. The winner can't be one of the two who already used an amnesty, to prevent multiple amnesties from being used on the same player. Amnesties also have to be used before the next day of bidding.

The cap will be 70.25, comparable to what the NHL has currently. If you do not meet the roster requirement of at least 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies don't worry. There will be a free for all after the last day of this where you can sign anybody you want for any price you want. I wouldn't count on anything but scrubs being left for this though. Also, don't be stupid with your bids. If you want to spend 12 million on Crosby, go for it. If you spend something crazy like 20 million, I won't stop you because that ruins the freedom of this game. I guarantee you will really hurt your chances of winning if you do this though. Somebody did this last game on multiple players and ended up being disqualified for going over the cap. I'm sure they regretted it, please don't make me do that again.

If you still have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll gladly explain.

Team Name|General Manager
Detroit Red Wings|Datsyuk Dangles
Montreal Canadiens|Donghabs98
Los Angeles Kings | SoulAssassin
New York Rangers | HankTheTankYolo
Calgary Flames | FlamesFreak4
Columbus Blue Jackets | PriceIsGod
Toronto Maple Leafs | Lilina
Chicago Blackhawks | Koivu777
Pittsburgh Penguins | Pitt's Best
San Jose Sharks | West Coast Bias
Dallas Stars | Sunsoutgunsout
Washington Capitals | Dr. John Carlson
Colorado Avalanche | CoachBadkitten
Nashville Predators | Top 6 Spaling
New York Islanders | Hlaverty06
Buffalo Sabres | VanIslander
Philadelphia Flyers | Habsfannick
Tampa Bay Lightning | LatvianTwist
Edmonton Oilers | Gaborikthebeast
Florida Panthers | GFS
Phoenix Coyotes | Jay
Ottawa Senators | BigBenSF
St. Louis Blues | BoldNewLettuce
New Jersey Devils | NoahH57
Anaheim Ducks | DKQ
Carolina Hurricanes | Yandle Bars
Vancouver Canucks | Vankiller Whale

Division | Commish
Central | Yandle Bars
Northwest | BigBenSF
Atlantic | Coachbadkitten
Pacific | Jay
Southeast | West Coast Bias
Northeast | Pitts Best
Replacement | Gaborikthebeast

League Chatzy: http://us14.chatzy.com/37997276445733

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
We already have half the teams we need. WK won't be participating though so I'll need a couple more commishes. I'd also like to have a replacement commish because I guarantee there will be at least a couple days where somebody can't do it.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
:sabres

I'm the guy who finished building his squad first (on Day 3) last time without needing any amnesty whatsoever despite bellyaching by some over my aggressive bidding practices. The reason I didn't get into cap trouble is I knew when to offer multiple bids that are well within the value of the players, not ridiculous salaries but high, good values for good assets.

I'm interested in joining this auction draft but I have ONE issue with the new format, and that is that the three extra bidding players are not automatically the three highest bids? The problem with letting commishes decide which three players to extend the bidding time on is that 1) it will reduce the 'good value' picks because that underbid good player will be chosen at times over that player which received a much higher bid, this this means a team is less likely to get great value in the auction; 2) it is unpredictable, so makes contingency planning more difficult; 3) it can seem unfair, as a player that two or three GMs may have been competing over may not have the bidding process extended in favor of some commish-determined "best" player that had received lower bids.

Could the extra bidding rule be ammended to apply automatically to the highest bidded players, or most GMs-submitted-bids players or predetermined/pre-auction-determined superstar player. Any of these three ways of determining the extra bid time players is better than leaving it to the willy nilly unpredictable judgement of commishes.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...

I'm the guy who finished building his squad first (on Day 3) last time without needing any amnesty whatsoever despite bellyaching by some over my aggressive bidding practices. The reason I didn't get into cap trouble is I knew when to offer multiple bids that are well within the value of the players, not ridiculous salaries but high, good values for good assets.

I'm interested in joining this auction draft but I have ONE issue with the new format, and that is that the three extra bidding players are not automatically the three highest bids? The problem with letting commishes decide which three players to extend the bidding time on is that 1) it will reduce the 'good value' picks because that underbid good player will be chosen at times over that player which received a much higher bid, this this means a team is less likely to get great value in the auction; 2) it is unpredictable, so makes contingency planning more difficult; 3) it can seem unfair, as a player that two or three GMs may have been competing over may not have the bidding process extended in favor of some commish-determined "best" player that had received lower bids.

Could the extra bidding rule be ammended to apply automatically to the highest bidded players, or most GMs-submitted-bids players or predetermined/pre-auction-determined superstar player. Any of these three ways of determining the extra bid time players is better than leaving it to the willy nilly unpredictable judgement of commishes.

You finished day 3? Seems like your a Fly-by-the-pants type of guy.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Way to completely copy my OP from the last one :laugh:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

1. If lots of people are bidding on that player (that's what I mean by popularity), they won't be at a good value generally.
2. The 3 players for each team are posted well before the threads are up, you have time to adjust if you deem necessary.
3. We can't do every player, three players is a good compromise. We generally go with the most popular players (again in terms of bids they're getting). We do it this way to try and reduce sniping on players that will impact the game most.

If the extra bidding applies to the highest bidded players there will not be nearly as much action in the last 30 minutes. A lot of times people will pay up for the player they want, and that player might only get one bid, despite being the best player. I really think it has to be a combination of most bids/best player in order to have the most impactful players given the extra 30 minutes. Your concerns have been noted though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad