Post-Game Talk: DC vs St. Lou - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Well, since you ask, he was team-worst -4 against Pens (while Eller and Bura each +3), and tonight, even though he recorded 2A and we won by 4 goals, he was 0 in the +/- department.

Not the end of the world. I'm just pointing it out.

On the brighter side ... Caps have not scored this many goals in a 6-game stretch since 1993!

So this team is offensively better then the BB caps?:yo:

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Score was not reflective of the game. Man we scored some really weak goals. Our shooting percentage is unsustainable but man is it fun to watch. I honestly don't think this team is that much different than early in the season. On to the next.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Score was not reflective of the game. Man we scored some really weak goals. Our shooting percentage is unsustainable but man is it fun to watch. I honestly don't think this team is that much different than early in the season. On to the next.

Thanks for bringing us back down...ho hum...:cry:

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

They play a completely different style than they did early in the season.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
They play a completely different style than they did early in the season.

I have watched every game and do not see a drastic change in their style. Their breakouts are a little cleaner partly because they are not wrapping the puck around the boards as much. But other than that I don't think they are playing that different of a style.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
LOL not at all. More that I think too many people were too negative at the beginning of the season and are now a little too positive. This team is somewhere in the middle. I still have high hopes for the team.

These boards do get carried away easily depending on how the wind is blowing!!! ;)

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I have watched every game and do not see a drastic change in their style. Their breakouts are a little cleaner partly because they are not wrapping the puck around the boards as much. But other than that I don't think they are playing that different of a style.

I don't remember dmen consistently joining the rush like they do now. They actually try to score on the trenaisiton than trying to play the board game and grind the opponent down.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Their execution is WAY up from earlier in the season. Remember when everyone was complaining they couldn't make basic passes!??! Gee no wonder that had some negative impact on their performance.

This is nothing new, the best teams usually round into form around Christmas.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I don't remember dmen consistently joining the rush like they do now. They actually try to score on the trenaisiton than trying to play the board game and grind the opponent down.

Yeah I could see that. Especially with Schmidt who seems to be granted more freedom. But I do not think we play a completely different style. I think sometimes its easy to confuse scoring more with all of a sudden playing a more offensive game. We are really executing our system well but not playing that differently.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I really did not see the current offensive explosion coming. Not what i've grown to expect from trotz squads.

Love seeing D-men join the rush so frequently.

Also, success breeds success. Guys are much more confident finishing right now, all through the roster. Williams, in particular, but also bura, connolly, beags, eller and winnick. It's a lotta damn fun to watch when all 4 lines clicking.

I guess connolly was good pick-up after all. I was highly skeptical about that move. I was wrong (as usual)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The biggest change they've made was skating the puck up and hitting the neutral zone with speed and moving through it.

Everyone would always say the caps can't catch a pass to save their life - this was because the D would chip the puck out/pass it to stationary players in the neutral zone, who'd have to receive the pass, corral the puck while fighting off a check AND rapidly accelerate. Being consistently good at that means you're Connor McDavid.

Now the defense does more to pick up speed unchecked, go full blast through the neutral zone, hit the offensive zone with speed causing defensive coverage to break down and all those sweet sweet high danger scoring chances to be vacated for caps forwards to jump into. And if they pass off the puck it's to other rushing guys at the blue line who just have to keep going with it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Watching the post game show, lots of talk about scoring goals, no talk about system changes. Last few shows I've paid close attention and there's no mention of these big changes.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They've been trying to do it since the beginning of the year, it just recently started gelling. Orlov-Niskanen are doing the same thing they were trying to do with Orlov-Carlson, except Orlov-Carlson compliment each other badly and Orlov Niskanen instantly clicked. Orpik-Schmidt also started the year off as disgraced playoff performers trying to get their mojo back and slowly started coming out of their shells and jumping into the play more after playing really well.

They've had more puck luck too, but much of that is them having a lot more time and space in high danger scoring chances due to other teams scrambling.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
speaking of d-men scoring, they showed a stat that the caps are 3rd in the league with d-men points.

i would have never, ever, thought that.

talk about an invisible contribution, in my eyes at least.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
speaking of d-men scoring, they showed a stat that the caps are 3rd in the league with d-men points.

Most people seem to ignore it for whatever reason. Not just for us.

Blue Jackets are a top 3 team in the first half this year after finishing in the bottom 5 last year and going into this season with a bunch of question marks. Everyone thought they were gonna be bottom 5 again.

Their defense is

Werenski (19 year old PMD rookie not known for amazing defense in juniors) - Jones (young PMD who was sketchy defensively with Nashville and loves going coast to coast)
Johnson - Savard (2 guys known for boneheaded plays, Johnson especially, but mobile and with big slapshots and good chemistry)
Murray (only cerebral stay at home D playing on their bottom pairing) - Nutivaara (rookie 2015 5th rounder).

Tortorella is preaching SAFE IS DEATH again and spamming rushes from their back end and telling them to not worry about turnovers. There's more to it but it's the top reason they've been a juggernaut for half the season with that defense and very underwhelming center depth. They flood the offensive zone then their shoot first wingers keep taking shots until they go in. I don't know for a fact but I'm betting they're one of the teams ahead of us in D scoring

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Caps beat the p**h out of St. Loo. :amazed:

All 4 lines scored. Just beautiful to see.

Ovie with 2 more assists and both of them secondary. :laugh:

I predict lots of goals in Dallas. Big D doesn't have much big D. Lol.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Dude 88 has been beast mode lately. He's apparently been given the green light to activate whenever he feels like it cause his whole game has changed about 5 or so games ago. He's been the direct cause of 5 goals I can think of off hand. He looks like freaking Orlov out there lately but without the stupid turnovers. I don't know if it's just a confidence thing or if Coach TR has told him to GO GO GO. But he looks like he's playing next level hockey lately. Nate looks like a top 4 defender. I'm as worried about losing him as I am Orlov at this point. If this is legit 88 and not just a hot streak then we won the lottery signing him. Ross Mahoney is a god.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Dallas is willing to trade odd man rushes and breakaways on the PP. Have Ovechkin PK against them :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad