Movies: DC green lights first Joker movie(Joaquin Phoenix-3 others in development)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Obviously DC Entertainment has a plan--but there is a saturation point for these things

The Joker: every movie project currently in the works

Of course Suicide Squad 2 is well known

but the other ones could be interesting

The Jared Leto solo movie

While it will take a lot to top Ledger's version--but Leto could pull it off if the writing and plot works
Jared Leto’s Joker Is Getting His Own Movie (EXCLUSIVE)

The Joaquin Phoenix origin movie

Phoenix is an interesting actor--but can not see him being the joker
Jared Leto ‘Joker’ Movie In Early Development; Todd Phillips’ Origins Tale Still In Works

The Joker and Harley movie

Batman Villains Joker and Harley Quinn Getting Their Own Film | THR News

This is one of the most interesting movies in development

Reactions: irunthepeg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
At this point I have no confidence in WB/DC. They really don't seem to have a solid plan in place for the DCEU and this shows it.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Hollywood is in a rather pronounced lull when it comes to original ideas. This isn't surprising.

Stars Wars movies coming out too fast these days. Avengers and all of the related characters' movies, just bang bang bang. On the TV side, re-boots galore.

In some ways, there has never been a better time to be a fan of television and film. And in other ways, some of the biggest money-makers are just a big grab bag of spoonfed superhero crap.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
First let's kill the franchise with poor quality products, then salt the Earth for the ensuing decade(s) by releasing entirely too much of it.

Stop making me hate the only superhero I actually kinda liked once upon a time.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Why are people talking about fatigue for DC ? They barely ever release anything. This is proof that franchise fatigue isn't actually a thing. The only fatigue which is real is bad movie fatigue. And it starts at the first bad movie.

Marvel movies have zero fatigue - Black panther then Infinity War then Deadpool - all hits, all released in a shorter time frame than the 2 star wars movies TLJ and Solo. After Solo bombed, people explained it away as franchise fatigue. When people said but what about Marvel ? The argument was that comic book about superheroes had more content. But why is DC failing then ? They're comic books with a shit ton of content ?

Fatigue isn't actually a thing. You might personally be tired of super hero movies but if that's really the case, it's probable that you never liked them in the first place and can't wait until they go away. But if you like something... you can't get enough of it... if it's done properly. It's certainly not 3-4 movies a year which will saturate the market for a franchise. If it were 10 movies a year.. maybe ? But even then, I think 10 occurrences a year is a pretty low occurrence event, provided that the movies don't suck. No one wants to watch 10 things that suck per year. But a lot of people want to watch 10 good things in a year.

Movie/franchise fatigue is a crutch people love to use to explain away the lack of popularity of something which failed that they like... or something that they wish would happen less regularly because they hate it.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
"Of course another suicide squad"???? The hot, poop-filled, diaper of a movie is "of course" getting a sequel? :laugh:

Reactions: tacogeoff
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Why are people talking about fatigue for DC ? They barely ever release anything. This is proof that franchise fatigue isn't actually a thing. The only fatigue which is real is bad movie fatigue. And it starts at the first bad movie.

Marvel movies have zero fatigue - Black panther then Infinity War then Deadpool - all hits, all released in a shorter time frame than the 2 star wars movies TLJ and Solo. After Solo bombed, people explained it away as franchise fatigue. When people said but what about Marvel ? The argument was that comic book about superheroes had more content. But why is DC failing then ? They're comic books with a **** ton of content ?

Fatigue isn't actually a thing. You might personally be tired of super hero movies but if that's really the case, it's probable that you never liked them in the first place and can't wait until they go away. But if you like something... you can't get enough of it... if it's done properly. It's certainly not 3-4 movies a year which will saturate the market for a franchise. If it were 10 movies a year.. maybe ? But even then, I think 10 occurrences a year is a pretty low occurrence event, provided that the movies don't suck. No one wants to watch 10 things that suck per year. But a lot of people want to watch 10 good things in a year.

Movie/franchise fatigue is a crutch people love to use to explain away the lack of popularity of something which failed that they like... or something that they wish would happen less regularly because they hate it.

"Fatigue" may or may not be a thing, but the insane number of superhero movies that have come out in the last 5-7 years, and those in the pipeline, shows a lack of creativity in Hollywood at the very least. For the comics fanboys this musy be a golden era. For those of us who aren't it's a little boring.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
"Fatigue" may or may not be a thing, but the insane number of superhero movies that have come out in the last 5-7 years, and those in the pipeline, shows a lack of creativity in Hollywood at the very least. For the comics fanboys this musy be a golden era. For those of us who aren't it's a little boring.

For those of us who read the comics mostly in the 80's or early 90's, it definitely is. We couldn't even imagine the quality of movies Marvel Studios have put out. Likewise we couldn't have imagined that DC could've botched Superman and Batman so poorly. But, you don't make multiple billion plus box office hits with fan boys alone. It takes skill to make movies that grab the attention of the general public. If Disney is able to get the rest of Marvel characters rights from Fox, they'll have an entirely new catalogue of characters waiting to be unleashed in a proper way, that will give people something else to wonder other than Avengers.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why are people talking about fatigue for DC ?

Superhero fatigue. Blanket.

Plus DC keeps putting their projects in the hands of the woefully incompetent. At least there's a small chance that a Marvel movie can charm me enough to be watchable, but DC's edgelord routine is cringe-worthy. Zack Snyder is everything I hate about modern Hollywood rolled into one extremely punchable package.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I genuinely hate the DC Movies. Granted I haven't watched WW, JL or SS, but its because I hate the other ones so much.

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman are so aggressively, unflinchingly, and unquestionably terrible that they almost make me hate film.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
I doubt that everything DC is announcing will ever happen. They are seeing way too much in the future, its almost like they think the DCEU is a success.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Honestly didn't know about this until I started listened to the Funhaus movie podcast on this at work today.

Yeah.... somehow a cluster and I'm still not remotely interested in anything DC-related other than standalone Wonder Woman films, and all it'll take is one bad installment in that franchise for me to stop caring about that, too.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I can't imagine myself watching any of these. I'll watch the odd superhero movie these days like Deadpool 2 - eventually - but man is this trend ever getting old.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I genuinely hate the DC Movies. Granted I haven't watched WW, JL or SS, but its because I hate the other ones so much.

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman are so aggressively, unflinchingly, and unquestionably terrible that they almost make me hate film.
WW was genuinely really good. Kind of a stylistic mix of MCU with Superman: The Movie. Don't deny yourself that one.

BvS was so terrible that (1) I couldn't even finish it and (2) I've taken a hard pass on JL.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Yeah I believe it when people say WW is good. I just haven't gotten around to watching it, and the fact that I hate the cinematic universe it exists in/relates to just gives me no impetus make an effort to watch it the way I felt like (for example) I gotta see Black Panther because I want to stay up to date on the MCU.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah I believe it when people say WW is good. I just haven't gotten around to watching it, and the fact that I hate the cinematic universe it exists in/relates to just gives me no impetus make an effort to watch it the way I felt like (for example) I gotta see Black Panther because I want to stay up to date on the MCU.

It is very worthwhile to watch IMO. By far the best DC based movie in recent years.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Are there still comic book or DC fans who don't know the origin of the Joker?

considering there has never been a stand alone Joker movie, makes sense to start with an origin story.

also, was there any comic book fans that didnt know Batman's origin before they made Batman Begins?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Seems like a movie being made out of desperation instead of being made because they legitimately want to tell the story.

Throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's gotten to the point where I just hope actors I like treat the DCEU like a leper colony.

Don't do it, Joaquin! Their suckiness is communicable!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad