Day one complete at U17

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
First day over at U17 Challenge

USA ties Slovakia 2 - 2. I believe USA is missing their top '88 in Mueller?

Finns beat the Czechs 4 - 1. I believe the Czechs are missing their best '88 who is playing in the WJC?

Team Ontario beats Germany 6 - 1.

Team Pacific beats Team Quebec 3 - 2. Tyler Swystun with 1g and 1a for TP.

Freddie

Dec 28, 2004
Any of these games going to be televised?

Just answered my own question, from the TSN website,

"The 27-game event will be played at two venues in Lethbridge, AB, the Enmax Centre and Nicholas Sheran Arena. The gold medal game will be played January 4, 2004 at the Enmax Centre, 8:00pm (MT) and will be televised (taped delayed on January 5th) on TSN (check local listings)."

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Team Western really dropped the ball by not having James Reimer as thier goalie. They guy is one of the best goalie products from Manitoba ever.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Day two over

Team Pacific 7 - Team Finland 7
Tyler Swystun 1g 3a for Pacific, now has 6pts to lead the tourney

Team USA 5 - Team Germany 1
Kyle Okposo 2g for USA

Team Western 4 - Team Slovakia 1
Jonathan Toews 1g for Western

Team Atlantic 7 - Team Czech Republic 2
James Sheppard 1g 2a for Atlantic

Juuso Puustinen for Team Finland has 4g so far in the tourney and is tied with Mitch Fadden from Team Pacific for the goal lead.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
HabLover said:

Finns beat the Czechs 4 - 1. I believe the Czechs are missing their best '88 who is playing in the WJC?

Czech team is missing many very good prospects at the tourney.
Frolik plays for U-20 team, Kveton, Bartos, Ruzicka played for U-18 team in Switzerland and some others(for example Repik, Zohorna, Stasa) stayed home to give tryout another players.
The best 89 born prospects(Stich, Voracek, Kachlik) who should make the team played only for U-16 team in three-game series against Russia.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The results so far have been a little weird. It looks like Teams Western and Atlantic are performing the best for Canada which is very odd to me. Teams Ontario, Pacific, and Quebec really aren't doing too well so far.

I'm a little dissapointed with the US results so far. They beat the Sloavaks pretty easily by a score of 6-2 a few months back but only got a 2-2 tie this time around. I can't complain with the 5-1 win against Germany but the shots didn't seem as lopsided as I would have expected.

I really don't have a clue what to expect from this point on.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Hey Everyone,

I've been covering the tourney and I will probably write up a recap story for HF following the tourney. It's a smorgasboard of 2006 draft eligbles...very entertaining.

Unbiased Canadian

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Despite having a 4-0 lead at one point in the first period and outshooting their opponents 47-21 over the course of the game, the US team lost to Ontario 7-5. :shakehead

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
cagney said:
The results so far have been a little weird. It looks like Teams Western and Atlantic are performing the best for Canada which is very odd to me. Teams Ontario, Pacific, and Quebec really aren't doing too well so far.
Well, Pacific just handily beat the Atlantic squad, on the shoulders of Zach Hamill and Ben Maxwell.:handclap:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
cagney said:
Despite having a 4-0 lead at one point in the first period and outshooting their opponents 47-21 over the course of the game, the US team lost to Ontario 7-5. :shakehead

Results from Day 4;

Team Pacific 5 - Team Atlantic 2
Zach Hamill with 2g and 1a. Tyler Swystun with a goal and tourney leading 7pts.

Team Ontario 7 - Team USA 5
Jordan Staal and Cory Emmerton both with 2g and 1a.

Team Western 7 - Team Germany 2
Kyle Bortis 2g and 1a, Jonathan Toews 1g and 2a.

Team Finland 6 - Team Quebec 3
Jan-Mikael Juutilainen 2g and 3a.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Moncton Wildcat forward Brad Marchand now has 5 pts in 3 games for Team Atlantic. Marchand is a smallish player who started the season getting basically no ice time, but has been put on a line with Steve Bernier quite a bit this season with some of the injuries and other situations the team has had.

He's got good creativity and very, very good hand eye coordination. He's got a bit of a physical edge for such a small guy, and at 16 until MAY, he's well on his way to being a very good junior player. He's got 13 points in 31 games this year, and will finish with probably 25 or so. Hardly a spectacular season, but he is very, very young. This tournament should be a big boost to his confidence, and perhaps he'll take on an added role with one of the top teams int he country when he returns.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
cagney said:

The 1988 born U.S. players are for the most part a weak lot. They have some fairly decent D men but with the exception of Mueller lack any star forwards.

From what I've been told, with a few exceptions, the 1989 class isn't a whole lot better.

The only good thing is that Canada's 1988 class isn't that much better than ours.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
VOB said:
The 1988 born U.S. players are for the most part a weak lot. They have some fairly decent D men but with the exception of Mueller lack any star forwards.

From what I've been told, with a few exceptions, the 1989 class isn't a whole lot better.

The only good thing is that Canada's 1988 class isn't that much better than ours.
I don't think they are a weak group at all. They don't have a super star player like Kessel but they are a very good group. They will be a very good team next year when it means the most!

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
HabLover said:

Finns are also missing their best player, Jesse Joensuu, who is playing in the WJC's at the moment.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
What about Erik Johnson? He has been put in top 10's for 2006, is that misleading?

He, Strait and Summers all have a good chance of going in the 1st round in 06. I am not sure of any of the forwards though. Its just not a very exceptional group. I mean lets face it, they should have easily handled Ontario yesterday yet didn't.

I know last years U-17 also failed to place in the medal but 1987 is just a monster year for Canada and I don't think the U.S. squad played up to their full potential. 1988 is a pretty weak year for Canada and if we are having trouble beating regional teams, then the future really doesn't look to bright for this age group.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Diaboli said:
Finns are also missing their best player, Jesse Joensuu, who is playing in the WJC's at the moment.

He's an '87. This tournament is for '88s.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
I don't know how bright it is to make sweeping conclusions based on any one tournament.

I am not basing it on one tournament. I've seen this team play a 1/2 dozen times and I just haven't been that impressed by them. As for my conclusions about Canadians, I have seen many of them play in the O and they really don't have any players that stand out either.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
Joenssu isn't eligble for the draft untill 2006...sure he's not an 88??

Born in Oct '87. The forwards playing U18 as underaged, Robert Nyholm, Max Wärn and Joonas Kemppainen, are the key players Finland is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad