Speculation: Davis Payne the Power Play Master Mind

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Every coach wants to have a great power play, but what goes into it?

That’s something Ottawa Senators assistant coach Davis Payne looked at this summer, and we were lucky to have him share his insight with us at the 2020 Virtual Hockey Summit.

“Is it the recipe, or the formula, or is it the ingredients, or the chemicals inside that formula?” Payne asked.

“We wanted to look at what were the skills required, and what were the skills we could improve upon, in order to have our power play… improve as a group.”

Power play skill development with Senators coach Davis Payne (VIDEO)

Have a great read on how to run a great power play, or not.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
The opposition will never expect it.

You have to think about the game WITHIN the game.
Haha! Yup and no shooting options. That’s the plan! Chabot was miss on the powerplay yesterday, not because he score often (2 career Pp goals) but he can make excellent passes with his vision.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Haha! Yup and no shooting options. That’s the plan! Chabot was miss on the powerplay yesterday, not because he score often (2 career Pp goals) but he can make excellent passes with his vision.

A PP requires lightning fast hands and decision-making to maintain possession and/or beat an incoming player with speed.

Chabot is pretty cool under pressure. (unless he loses his temper)

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
A PP requires lightning fast hands and decision-making to maintain possession and/or beat an incoming player with speed.

Chabot is pretty cool under pressure. (unless he loses his temper)
Yes , but what if you pass on the left to Stutzle who’s a lefty. No shooting option there. On the right is Norris and everytime he gets the puck on the powerplay, he kills the play. Dadonov is a great bumper guy but never get the puck in the slot. Chabot is a PP QB that passes first, he rarely shoot. And there’s Tkachuk in front of the net who never get the puck because we can’t established ourselves in the zone.

Also don’t get me start on those 60 feet drop passes. Haha

Reactions: DrEasy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes , but what if you pass on the left to Stutzle who’s a lefty. No shooting option there. On the right is Norris and everytime he gets the puck on the powerplay, he kills the play. Dadonov is a great bumper guy but never get the puck in the slot. Chabot is a PP QB that passes first, he rarely shoot. And there’s Tkachuk in front of the net who never get the puck because we can’t established ourselves in the zone.

Also don’t get me start on those 60 feet drop passes. Haha

The problem with Norris is that his shot doesn't intimidate like Galchenyuk's does.

Ultimately he's supposed to be the guy putting it in the net.

A lot of set-ups involve the puck going to him drifting in to that high right circle with a shooting angle. Maybe Stutzle should be there instead on his off-side. He likes shooting and his release is pretty quick.

Reactions: Matsens15

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
The problem with Norris is that his shot doesn't intimidate like Galchenyuk's does.

Ultimately he's supposed to be the guy putting it in the net.

A lot of set-ups involve the puck going to him drifting in to that high right circle with a shooting angle. Maybe Stutzle should be there instead on his off-side. He likes shooting and his release is pretty quick.

So, one solution could be to remove Norris from PP1 and replace him with Stutzle on the right side and put Batherson on the left side? I think that would be a way better powerplay.

Batherson live’s on the half wall, this would be so much better I think.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
5 lefty on the same powerplay last night. I don’t think I ever see this before.
It's becoming a bit of a problem for us, after Batherson we don't really have a skilled Right handed player. If Batherson isn't clicking, what do we do? Nothing down in Belleville to help either, i think Pinto is the only high profile right handed forward prospect. Dzingel won't help.

Reactions: Matsens15

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I’m curious HFSens

What combination would you try on the PP

Here’s what I would try:
Left side: Batherson
Right side: Stützle
Bumper: Dadonov
Front of the net: Tkachuk
Blue line: Chabot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’m curious HFSens

What combination would you try on the PP

Here’s what I would try:
Left side: Batherson
Right side: Stützle
Bumper: Dadonov
Front of the net: Tkachuk
Blue line: Chabot

Who is taking the draw? Tkachuk i guess? Maybe Stü?

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
We don’t have a real threat to shoot the puck on the PP. Norris had a ton of success setting up on the right side and hammering one timers last year in Belleville but he hasn’t really gotten any good ones off this year.

We really need a shooting threat from the left side though. Hopefully Pinto and/or Thomson turn out to be that guy

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
We don’t have a real threat to shoot the puck on the PP. Norris had a ton of success setting up on the right side and hammering one timers last year in Belleville but he hasn’t really gotten any good ones off this year.

We really need a shooting threat from the left side though. Hopefully Pinto and/or Thomson turn out to be that guy

Stützle in Norris spot?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We need a shooting threat from the point. The penalty killers cheat off the blue line and lean out towards the wings where they can maximize pressure on the guys playing against the wall.

Big shot from the point would help pull penalty killers back into the direct shooting lanes and open up space for the wingers.

Reactions: DrEasy

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
This is 2 games in a row where we've had about 30-45 seconds of a powerplay wasted by our top of the circle forward and d-men getting hemmed in in the offensive zone and sending terrible bobbled passes back and forth.

Need to both get the puck moving around the whole ice and get the players moving around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad