David Savard

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Has it been mentioned yet that blahblah has entered thebus Wisniewski status with Savard? Feels that way.

Anyway, as others have said. He is still growing. He's only 24 (Feels like he's been around forever) and is really only in his second full season. The more and more he plays the better he will be. He has a habit of getting penalties recently and he needs to stop. I think he'll be a good top 4 guy

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
As far as Wennberg's post; I'm more upset with Richards playing him on the top pairing than Savard himself. No one really debates that he doesn't do idiotic things with the puck (I spent the better part of a month illustrating his stupidity in GTD's to justify my position and some saw what I saw). If he was a 5/6 on this team with some PP time I wouldn't say crap about him.

I've probably said a dozen times that the only reason I want to move him is so Richards isn't tempted to play him 23 minutes a night.

As far as SuperGenius goes.... If you get more ice time you get more opportunities to produce. I've said at least two dozen times that his best assets are on display in the offensive zone.

Savard isn't nearly as good as what people are making him out here to be. He's probably not quite as bad as what I'm making him out to be. Having said that, he keeps doing the same moronic stuff time and time again. He's skating is too poor to make up with some of his poor decisions.

Seriously how many defensive zone turnovers on breakouts do we have to see before we realize the truth about this guy? How many times do we have to see him move the puck to someone that can't do anything with it? They are either checked or they are skating "south" and he's unchecked moving "north". The moron, recently, passed the puck to someone coming off the bench during a line change with two people trying to get off the ice. We were damn lucky the guy coming off the bench didn't touch the puck.

I've said dozens of times the guy has a good shot. No surprise at all that he's improved his production. Having said that I think Murray is far superior player in all three zones.

Hopefully we can fix his skating and slowly beat the dumb out of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
As far as Wennberg's post; I'm more upset with Richards playing him on the top pairing than Savard himself. No one really debates that he doesn't do idiotic things with the puck (I spent the better part of a month illustrating his stupidity in GTD's to justify my position and some saw what I saw).

I don't think he does idiotic things at a higher rate than your average d-man.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Savard's slap pass to JJ, last night, was one of the smartest plays he's made, this year. It was done instantly and demonstrated better vision than I would have thought he possessed. It ranks with the goal he scored a few games ago by floating across in front of the goal, holding until the lane cleared, and then wiring a shot in. His offensive development has been impressive, I can only hope we see the same advances, next season, in his defensive zone play.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Savard will join Jack Johnson as a target of the analytics community. His advanced stats, all of them, are horrendous.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I think Savard will join Jack Johnson as a target of the analytics community. His advanced stats, all of them, are horrendous.

He had some terrible stretches on the ice this season. I think the entire forum questioned his ability to play at this level. He finished the season strong, and looked more mature physically and mentally to me. I think he is finding confidence in his game and his abilities, and I hope we don't have all of those lulls in performance next season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Advanced stats also say Calgary shouldn't have made the playoffs and LA was the best team in the league. Analytics can kick rocks

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He played the hard minutes on a team with a -14 goal differential and somehow came out even in terms of plus/minus. The advanced stats might suggest that he got lucky, and maybe he did a little bit, but Savard does have some things running in his favor that can help explain how he outperformed his Corsi. A couple come to mind:

1) He's got that seeing-eye wrister. This has been part of his scouting report since his days with Moncton, and we certainly got to see a lot of it this year. Savard is not the type to blast it into a crowd, which would pad his Corsi. The guy gets his shots through.

2) More than 100 blocked shots. This isn't really exceptional for his minutes, but it helps.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
He played the hard minutes on a team with a -14 goal differential and somehow came out even in terms of plus/minus. The advanced stats might suggest that he got lucky, and maybe he did a little bit, but Savard does have some things running in his favor that can help explain how he outperformed his Corsi. A couple come to mind:

1) He's got that seeing-eye wrister. This has been part of his scouting report since his days with Moncton, and we certainly got to see a lot of it this year. Savard is not the type to blast it into a crowd, which would pad his Corsi. The guy gets his shots through.

2) More than 100 blocked shots. This isn't really exceptional for his minutes, but it helps.

None of this has anything to do with his really poor decisions with the puck and the frequency that offensive players get behind him. It also doesn't address his "tool" limitations, which leads him to be somewhat poor in transition. He does have some offensive upside. I like him the offensive zone. He's ok in the defensive zone when the we've stopped their initial rush; but he can have issues make good decision with the puck heading toward the offensive zone.

Hopefully one day we can move him further down the lineup. Richards trusts him far too much.

I did feel a little more comfortable with his game the last two months, but there was still many times where I just shook my head.

Not surprised, at all, that his advanced stats weren't that good if I am reading this thread correctly.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think Savard is actually very smart about staying in position and not getting beat on the rush. He's too damn slow so guys do get around him on occasion, but given his slow speed it's amazing he doesn't get beat more. Just saying what I see, no need to agree.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Slightly OT but since the article is here, I love this:

There's not going to be a frozen envelope or a heated ping pong ball. The odds are pretty good that, like, Arizona or Buffalo is going to win. And even if they don't, it's not going to be Ballghazi or Lottergate, it's going to be random chance that led to the team that finished 23rd cashing in on its 6 percent chance.

Take it easy, folks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad