Speculation: David Savard to Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Leafs would probably have more interest in scouting guys like Jake Evans, Joel Armia, Jake Evans, Tanner Pearson, and Kovacevic.

Not that they'd trade for any of those guys just to do their homework on them.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah its a small add, depends what the Leafs want from their rentals. Id be curious to see the actual numbers, but pretty sure that nice complimentary pieces help more in the playoffs than big pieces who might disrupt team balance/chemistry on the ice.

Not only that, but Kovacevic being dirt cheap salary wise would enable toronto to add potentially more.

But I get it, they dont have a big name D beside Rielly. Goaltending is spotty. Etc.
I just think they have enough guys that can play on the bottom pair and you'd be basically rotating your two deadline additions in and out of the lineup (Boosh + Kovacevic). I think the way you're describing a Kovacevic add makes sense, but they've already done exactly that with Lyubushkin

Savard is not the kind of player that I think would disrupt chemistry in any way, it's typically guys who need the puck more that you have that problem with. That is DEFINITELY not Savard lol

Reactions: CDN24 and abo9

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He would but if I was the Habs I would just keep him. Plus, rarely do they ever made trades with the leafs. As a leaf fan yes he good defensively but it's up to Montreal which why would they help the leafs out?

I don't think they would care about "helping out" the Leafs at all, it's the Leafs, not the Bruins, but if all they get back for him is the Leafs first, I'd rather just hang on to Savard until at least next year's deadline. Even if he were worth much less a year from now, the value the Canadiens and their very young D would get out of another year of Savvy is worth it to me.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I don't think they would care about "helping out" the Leafs at all, it's the Leafs, not the Bruins, but if all they get back for him is the Leafs first, I'd rather just hang on to Savard until at least next year's deadline. Even if he were worth much less a year from now, the value the Canadiens and their very young D would get out of another year of Savvy is worth it to me.
Well, that's what I was thinking he is more needed there as you have quite few young defenseman who need guidance. Also, this might be a shocker but I don't have any ill thoughts about the Habs. Rather they get better so be more competitive hockey in division. Though I know it's best they work through the draft to rebuild the team.

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Exactly this, could see our 1st for savard. Wouldn’t love it , is he still a top 4 guy?
IMO he is still a top 4 guy. Ideally suited to the 2nd pair.

In Mtl he has been playing a lot on the top pair. Last year he started on top pair with a raw rookie in Guhle while Matheson was hurt and they did okay- seemed able to cover up for Guhles mistakes. Then he played mostly top pair with Matheson, again being the defensively responsible one of the pair.

This year he started again with Matheson on the top pair. After Savard broke his hand they started playing Matheson Guhle with Guhle on his wrong side, Currently they are still a pair and Savard has been on the second pair with Xhekaj since Arber came back from Laval. Xhekaj has looked like a different player playing with Savard.

He makes his partner better no matter who he plays with, great on the PK. Can play top pair if needed but ideally suited 2 a second pair on most teams.

On the leafs I think you'd play him with Reilly and let Brodie play on the left side where he is still effective. Kinda gives a net 2 d-men that way. As an outsider lately Brodie looks awful when on the right and effective on the left.

Is he worth a 1st? I guess if someone is willing to pay it he is. Doubt mtl moves him with retention for less than a 1st. He has value to them helping the kids along and they don't need to move him- not an expiring contract. That said they won't be resigning him- too many young D so the right offer will pry him away this year.

Mtl has enough mid level prospects and mid level picks (23 total picks in this years and next years draft) that they won't move him for quantity- has to be a quality piece.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I wouldn't trade a 1st for him and I hope the team doesnt. Nothing against the player, but I don't think we'll be winners this season whether we get him or not. Better off holding onto the pick, maybe move it in the summer before or at the draft.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I wouldn't trade a 1st for him and I hope the team doesnt. Nothing against the player, but I don't think we'll be winners this season whether we get him or not. Better off holding onto the pick, maybe move it in the summer before or at the draft.
I get your point but I don't think Shanny survives another playoff disappointment.

That doesn't mean Savard but they will do something big.....

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Lol if Savard is a save your job trade. Then he definitely deserves to lose it.
You definitely downplay Savard contribution, particularly for the playoffs style of play.

He's the textbook player/defender cup winning teams have been after since a few years at the TD.

He's tailor made for the playoffs.

But the Leafs, as an organization, always been more after big names and big stats producers than real winners.

They prefer spectacular splashes than effective ones...

So you guys go and pay a hefty price for the Hanifin or Guentzel of this world all you want.

But reality is the last big name traded at the TD that went on to win the cup after is Gaborik.. in 2014...

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't see Hughes doing Savard dirty like this, even if TO offers a 1st for Savard with retention. Savard made it clear he wants to stay in Montreal. He chose Montreal for family reasons. He's good for the rebuild and for the young D.

Makes no sense for Montreal to screw with Savard like this. It would take an overpay of epic proportions for Hughes to throw away his values and screw Savard.

Reactions: BallardEra

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I don't see Hughes doing Savard dirty like this, even if TO offers a 1st for Savard with retention. Savard made it clear he wants to stay in Montreal. He chose Montreal for family reasons. He's good for the rebuild and for the young D.

Makes no sense for Montreal to screw with Savard like this. It would take an overpay of epic proportions for Hughes to throw away his values and screw Savard.
If Hughes if offered a first, Savard is gone.

Its a business, and Savard knows that.

Reactions: bretpatrick7

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
He's exactly what the leafs need. A snot nosed big mean top 4 RHD that already has a wicked beard. You get him for 2 runs at 1.75m if the Habs retain.

If the Leafs didn't offer a first for him I'd find that really surprising.

• Haha
Reactions: Jigger77

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Habs have zero reason to trade him. They can trade him at next year's TDL and reap the benefits of his continued mentorship.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Savard is such a playoff warrior. As much as I would understand other fanbases to not want to pay a 1st for him, I am convinced Habs don't deal him for less. And if he is dealt, I am convinced he can push a team forward more than many higher profile players.

As a Montreal fan, a trade would be bittersweet. A 1st is a nice asset to return, but Savard is basically a prospect incubator. I want him to keep mentoring Xhekaj and then next year do the same for Reinbacher or whoever they want to bring up. And who knows, maybe in a year's time we end up dealing him for a 1st anyway.

Reactions: CDN24

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs have zero reason to trade him. They can trade him at next year's TDL and reap the benefits of his continued mentorship.
Or they might even re-sign him at a lower salary, if he wants to stick around as a 3d pairing D, a mentor for kids who accepts he won't play every game and doesn't want a big money or a long-term contract, why not ?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Savard is such a playoff warrior. As much as I would understand other fanbases to not want to pay a 1st for him, I am convinced Habs don't deal him for less. And if he is dealt, I am convinced he can push a team forward more than many higher profile players.

As a Montreal fan, a trade would be bittersweet. A 1st is a nice asset to return, but Savard is basically a prospect incubator. I want him to keep mentoring Xhekaj and then next year do the same for Reinbacher or whoever they want to bring up. And who knows, maybe in a year's time we end up dealing him for a 1st anyway.
Frankly, that's why my asking price would be a 1st and a 2nd, because I don't really want him to get moved, and his mentorship with Xhekaj is huge - it might end up being the difference between wifi making it as a top-4 versus plateauing as a 3d pairing tough guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad