Speculation: David Savard to Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Now let me be clear David Savard may not have been the player being watched but Toronto Maple Leafs assistant GM Ryan Hardy was watching Montreal's game on Saturday night.

The Leafs do need a RD and so whille David Savard is admittedly my own speculation it does make sense that it was Savard that the Leafs assistant GM was there to watch who else would it be?

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
It’s probably Savard. But my guess is Habs keep him for another year. He’s very valuable for a young defense.

Reactions: viceroy

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It’s probably Savard. But my guess is Habs keep him for another year. He’s very valuable for a young defense.
If they get offered a 1st for Savard at 50% they'll take it but I think that's what it would take and after the Tanev deal, doubt it's being offered

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Now let me be clear David Savard may not have been the player being watched but Toronto Maple Leafs assistant GM Ryan Hardy was watching Montreal's game on Saturday night.

The Leafs do need a RD and so whille David Savard is admittedly my own speculation it does make sense that it was Savard that the Leafs assistant GM was there to watch who else would it be?
I'd put my money on that one.
Habs were also scouting the last leaf's game.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
No Leafs vs Habs games since opening night. They probably could use a scout of the opposition lol.
That's why they send the assistant GM, and Habs sends two scouts at their game... :facepalm:
There is also the trade deadline in 3 days... Maybe you've heard about it ?

A "very important game" between the two teams indeed, two thirds into the season where they have no clue about the other team's habits...

Last edited:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
That's why they send the assistant GM, and Habs sends two scouts at their game... :facepalm:
There is also the trade deadline in 3 days... Maybe you've heard about it ?

A "very important game" between the two teams indeed, two thirds into the season where they have no clue about the other team's habits...
I don't even know what you're ranting about.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
I don't even know what you're ranting about.
I am talking about a potential David Savard to the leafs trade.
A trade that seems to be supported by both fan bases.
The need for a cheap RHD is well documented in Toronto.
Their cup aspiration is well documented too.
Savard's availability is also very well known, as well as his pedigree. He fits the bill. He also has a cup ring. He is an awesome vet presence in the locker room.
There is no other available player that is a better fit than him left on the market.
I can foresee this happenning.
Even more with the double retentions that are going on around the league.

So seeing both teams scouting each other recently only adds fuel. Whoever is thinking this scouting was to prepare next game, when that game doesn't mean anything to any of those two teams, is coping... Especially when it was the assistant GM that was scouting one of those games.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Not sure Treliving wants to trade a 1st or 2nd / good prospect for Savard? Assuming habs retain half.
Savard has been lobbying pretty heavily in the media about staying in Montreal because his family is settled here.
And that being said good guy Hughes tends to accommodate his vets to a certain extent, so Toronto makes sense because of its proximity to Montreal and the fact he really wouldn't have to uproot his family

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I doubt the deal would happen. Hughes has made it known he'd rather keep Savard and is only moving him for what he demands (rumoured to be a 1st or equivalent prospect - however it is believed the Habs are willing to retain 50% on Savard's contract for a better deal).

And Toronto doesn't have any 2nds or 1st equivalent prospects they are open to moving, and I know the online fanbase does not have the same opinion as the front office does, but I'm fairly certain Leaf fans don't want to move their 1st for Savard

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I think CJ reported that the Habs want a 1st since they don't really want to trade him, he also said Savard is someone the leafs have asked about.

Don't have a source link saw the clip of him on a youtube short on Steve Dangle's podcast.

Reactions: Scintillating10

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I highly doubt it was David Savard.

Much more likely it was Jordan Harris or Jonathan Kovacevic.

If the offer is the Leafs 1st round pick for Savard, I would pass. If the offer required retention as well, that would be a really lousy offer. And I have less than zero interest in Nick Robertson, so I don't see what the Leafs could add that would make it enticing.

Retaining for two years on a defensemen that is valuable to the Canadiens, and all they get is a late 1st round pick?

Not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad