Value of: David Savard to Anaheim

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Really like this player and think he could be a great partner for Fowler, what would it take? I know Columbus is going to have cap problems in the not too distant future, this might be an OK way for them to shed salary.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's not impossible to move him per se, but at the moment we only have two RHDs - him and Jones. Nuti can play RD, but that just means we can cover the NHL roster. So can JJ, but, well, he wants better opportunities elsewhere. So trading Savard would get awkward, because we really don't want to open up holes in the roster.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's not impossible to move him per se, but at the moment we only have two RHDs - him and Jones. Nuti can play RD, but that just means we can cover the NHL roster. So can JJ, but, well, he wants better opportunities elsewhere. So trading Savard would get awkward, because we really don't want to open up holes in the roster.
Hm we dont really have a surplus either so might be hard to do a trade without a 3rd team... unless you guys like welinski or bieska :p

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
How many years does Kesler have left? The trade would have to be for a roster C. We can internally deal with replacing the D with Nuti and Carlson or JJ playing off hand. It's awkward BUT doable if we get the right piece.

The only 2 logical pieces for us involve Rakell (I'm not sure of his numbers this year at all I haven't seen the ducks outside 1 CBJ game so I only know he was loved there last year) or Kesler. I've wanted Kesler since before he was drafted in union blue BUT #1 he likely doesn't want to leave there that was basically his only choice he gave VAN and #2 He was paid a shit ton for a long term and we might not be able to afford it without a smidge retained.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How many years does Kesler have left? The trade would have to be for a roster C. We can internally deal with replacing the D with Nuti and Carlson or JJ playing off hand. It's awkward BUT doable if we get the right piece.

The only 2 logical pieces for us involve Rakell (I'm not sure of his numbers this year at all I haven't seen the ducks outside 1 CBJ game so I only know he was loved there last year) or Kesler. I've wanted Kesler since before he was drafted in union blue BUT #1 he likely doesn't want to leave there that was basically his only choice he gave VAN and #2 He was paid a **** ton for a long term and we might not be able to afford it without a smidge retained.

Rakell is arguably best contract in nhl... cant afford to move him. Hes also better as a winger rather than center if thats what you were thinking.

Kesler idk that you guys can bring his contract in w/o causing cap issues down the line... nor do i think wed move him, getz kes henrique vermette is good center depth and im not sure bm or rc would change that.. plus i think he has full ntc

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Rakell is arguably best contract in nhl... cant afford to move him. Hes also better as a winger rather than center if thats what you were thinking.

Kesler idk that you guys can bring his contract in w/o causing cap issues down the line... nor do i think wed move him, getz kes henrique vermette is good center depth and im not sure bm or rc would change that.. plus i think he has full ntc
Really Rakell is better as a wing? I knew you guys had high hopes for him at C but it's good he's on the wing and let's you use him more freely through the lines plus take faceoffs if someone is waved out. Jenner is like that here. And I figured both of what you said with Kes was true. I'm pretty sure we made a play for him before he came to you but he wouldn't wave. He played college here and I know he likes the city and we were just starting our rebuild back then so it could be different now. I know he liked Torts then too but He wanted there and signed long term with that NMC for a reason. I didn't think he would be an option.

Really bad trade partners unfortunately.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Really Rakell is better as a wing? I knew you guys had high hopes for him at C but it's good he's on the wing and let's you use him more freely through the lines plus take faceoffs if someone is waved out. Jenner is like that here. And I figured both of what you said with Kes was true. I'm pretty sure we made a play for him before he came to you but he wouldn't wave. He played college here and I know he likes the city and we were just starting our rebuild back then so it could be different now. I know he liked Torts then too but He wanted there and signed long term with that NMC for a reason. I didn't think he would be an option.

Really bad trade partners unfortunately.
Ya rakell on getzlafs wing is money... he plays more confident and creative. Really allows him to use his offensive skill more, signed 4 more years at 3.8 mil a season for 30g 60p player, hes prob our most untouchable piece outside of lindholm.

Plus we cant trade impact players for dmen, we need like a rental/effective place holder.

We have lindholm, manson, fowler and montour on roster. Then larsson should be a full time nhl player next year and josh mahura and welinski will fight for that 6th spot i imagine

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyp24

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hm we dont really have a surplus either so might be hard to do a trade without a 3rd team... unless you guys like welinski or bieska :p
There was a time when I liked Bieksa and wanted to pick him up. Unfortunately, that time was years before he ever joined Anaheim. :)

Welinski isn't someone I know very well, but from what I've read he'd be the sort of guy I wouldn't mind adding just so we have more RHDs, but wouldn't exactly be a Savard replacement.

Reactions: Getz2perry

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
^I too wanted KB3 before he became KB2 in ANA haha. The guy was a great player up until about 2 years before he left VAN and his game kinda fell off idk if it was injury or what. Honestly If he only has a year left with 50% retention I'd take him for Dalpe.

Hell if he is a UFA after the year
Bieksa 50% retained
1st

For
JJ
4th

Boom blockbuster deal

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
There was a time when I liked Bieksa and wanted to pick him up. Unfortunately, that time was years before he ever joined Anaheim. :)

Welinski isn't someone I know very well, but from what I've read he'd be the sort of guy I wouldn't mind adding just so we have more RHDs, but wouldn't exactly be a Savard replacement.
Welinski is a guy thatll likely never get a fair shot in anaheim but could do well other places.... but i think larsson/mahura will be the guys we stick with going forward.

And i agree welinski isnt enough to start conversation for savard

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I just don't see ANA trading for another D, especially one that's going to cost significant assets. It's crystal clear that they see a right side of Manson-Montour-Bieksa as sufficient or they wouldn't have traded Vatanen in the first place. Bieksa in not waiving his NMC after the big deal about requiring it so he wouldn't have to move his family again and RC seems to love him regardless of what the fans think.

As for Kesler, its unlikely in the extreme that the Ducks trade him at all, and even if they tried I doubt he'd waive his NMC for them. IIRC he refused to go there once already when he was still with VAN

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just don't see ANA trading for another D, especially one that's going to cost significant assets. It's crystal clear that they see a right side of Manson-Montour-Bieksa as sufficient or they wouldn't have traded Vatanen in the first place. Bieksa in not waiving his NMC after the big deal about requiring it so he wouldn't have to move his family again and RC seems to love him regardless of what the fans think.

As for Kesler, its unlikely in the extreme that the Ducks trade him at all, and even if they tried I doubt he'd waive his NMC for them. IIRC he refused to go there once already when he was still with VAN
I think we will for sure grab a dmen at the deadline, but itll be a rental in the 2nd + 5-10 range prospect at best, either on an affordable contract or a rental deal.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Can we wipe your memory of all of that, and pretend that he was just traded from Vancouver?

Please?

I hear he’s a solid defenseman and a good teammate. That’s what I hear. I can neither confirm or deny the accuracy of these statements.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Can we wipe your memory of all of that, and pretend that he was just traded from Vancouver?

Please?

I hear he’s a solid defenseman and a good teammate. That’s what I hear. I can neither confirm or deny the accuracy of these statements.
Enh. We just traded for Seth Jones, and I'm feeling pretty good about this Werenski kid we just drafted. Would like to see what we have before we add another solid guy who's on the decline; we've already got one of those with Tyutin. :nod:

;)

EDIT: Oh, you said "just traded from Vancouver". Give me a sec.

Well, I kind of like this Werenski kid we just drafted, and I'm not sure if Bieksa is much of an upgrade on what we already have and WTF HOW IS THERE SNOW OUTSIDE IN THE MIDDLE OF JULY

Reactions: Sojourn

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Enh. We just traded for Seth Jones, and I'm feeling pretty good about this Werenski kid we just drafted. Would like to see what we have before we add another solid guy who's on the decline; we've already got one of those with Tyutin. :nod:

;)

Hmm. I should make sure to only use my powers for good.

Reactions: mikeyp24 and Viqsi

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
:laugh: @ the edit.

It’s El Niño. Wait, is that a thing you talk about there? Or is it just a West Coast thing?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
El nino... that little orange fish that forgot how to get to Australia? Lol that's not just a west coast thing that is probably at the Disney is Florida too!!! My mom Vegas at that movie... classic mom =p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad