Confirmed with Link: David Savard (50% retained) to Tampa for 2021 1st, 2022 3rd

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not pinning it on him but he’s struggling.

He's not struggling at all. He's moving the puck better than I think he normally does. You could maybe say he had to stop the pass on the third goal but that's a random thing you can't have full control over. Hedman has to actually try and play D, that would be the first change that pairing needs to make.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's not struggling at all. He's moving the puck better than I think he normally does. You could maybe say he had to stop the pass on the third goal but that's a random thing you can't have full control over. Hedman has to actually try and play D, that would be the first change that pairing needs to make.

Guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Jarmo with the ultimate fleece job . What is Savard now on season -23 ? And we got a first round pick ... props to Jarmo

+/- means nothing but yeah I thought that Savard and Hedman struggled together. I still think Tampa will like what they get and we made out well with the pick.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Jarmo with the ultimate fleece job . What is Savard now on season -23 ? And we got a first round pick ... props to Jarmo

Go to the Bolts board. They know Hedman was the issue.

This is the kind of stat watching that will make a fool out of you.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Go to the Bolts board. They know Hedman was the issue.

This is the kind of stat watching that will make a fool out of you.

I watched a bit of the game myself and yes Hedman got caught pinching a lot and was mostly at fault for the goals against, but Savard let through a few passes (even those that weren't goals) that he normally doesn't. He also let 3 cross crease passes go through him by doing the same thing all three times. Yeah, its not really his fault, but you are supposed to take the pass away there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched a bit of the game myself and yes Hedman got caught pinching a lot and was mostly at fault for the goals against, but Savard let through a few passes (even those that weren't goals) that he normally doesn't. He also let 3 cross crease passes go through him by doing the same thing all three times. Yeah, its not really his fault, but you are supposed to take the pass away there.

I think it's just bad luck more than anything. It looked like he was playing it textbook, and you can beat textbook with a perfect saucer over the defender's stick.

In any case he shouldn't have to defend that many 2v1s in one game. Something weird going on with Hedman.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think it's just bad luck more than anything. It looked like he was playing it textbook, and you can beat textbook with a perfect saucer over the defender's stick.

In any case he shouldn't have to defend that many 2v1s in one game. Something weird going on with Hedman.

Sure, but getting beat three times maybe you need to switch up your tactic. Especially when they know what you're going to do. Again, not all his fault because like you said you can't expect to stop every 2on1 (and there were plenty with Hedman on the ice) but damn you could maybe stop one of them.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Textbook defense isn't laying down and making a snow angel. I always hated how Savard played those

What's he to do in a 2-on-1 situation? A 2-on-1 situation that developed because his D partner pinched up and none of the forwards got back.

Watching some of the goals against, it seems to me like he just wasn't quite used to Tampa's system and teammates there. It also didn't help to have CMac in night, who's an .862 on the year (!!). Seems like Tampa is content to ride Vasy all the way because I don't think they acquired anyone in net. Maybe they should have lol

I'm not sure what people are expecting. Savard has never been fast and he's only been getting slower. If he and Hedman can figure out how to mesh their styles together, it could work. Savard worked pretty well with Jack Johnson for about a year or so and then that went poorly. He and Gavirkov played well together last year, not so much this year. A lot of other factors there, it's just kind of a weird pattern.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
What's he to do in a 2-on-1 situation? A 2-on-1 situation that developed because his D partner pinched up and none of the forwards got back..

You always take away the non-shooter and let the goalie deal with the man with the puck.

Game Theory and Defending Against a 2-on-1

"And as it turns out the conventional wisdom of always play the pass is *almost* right – the equilibrium for this game (based on our assumptions that we noted above) is that defenders should play the pass roughly 92% of the time and defend the shooter just 8% of the time"

ETA: I just realized that the quote meant you should play the pass 92% of the time specifically for THAT game. So.....not sure what an actual % is, sorry bout that.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You always take away the non-shooter and let the goalie deal with the man with the puck."

For the longest time Savard would try and play both. He ended up on the ice sliding backwards. The skater would flip the puck over his stick, cross ice, and we'd end up with the goalie scrambling. He did a much better job later in his career. Having said that, he's just not a very quick player at the best of times and it wasn't going to get better. He's also not the smartest player and Torts did a good job of simplifying things for him. He got rather decent at positional defense, but skilled players could still run circles around him if they had enough ice (rushes).

Yep, the idea is to prevent the goalie from having to go from one end of his net to the other because a cross ice pass.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'm halfway through the game right now, 4-0 Preds, with three goals against the Hedman-Savard pairing.

I came here because I thought someone might pin it on Savvy. None of those goals are on him.

Hedman is having himself an off night. Savard has been the only one defending on several plays now.

First two against were bad Hedman pinches where Savard played it textbook. The third Hedman went behind the net on a bad route.

Not pinning it on him but he’s struggling.

I have a new appreciation for Savard Gavrikov. It is going to take a while for Hedman Savard to click if Hedman keeps joining the offensive zone like he did. Curtis Mac looked to be "dead man walking" in net. Savvy will be better next game with Vas in net.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Savard's G% and PDO this year are last in the entire league among the 179 Dmen who have played at least 350 minutes at 5v5. His xG% is 17th-worst.

He's bad, yes, but he's also been extremely unlucky.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If you’re a subscriber to The Athletic, today’s article by Joe Smith about David Savard is a must read. It includes some great stories about him giving even more insights on the real David Savard. It makes you love the guy even more.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'll go confirm this for myself, but I'm 99% sure this is impossible.

I was wrong

200.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you’re a subscriber to The Athletic, today’s article by Joe Smith about David Savard is a must read. It includes some great stories about him giving even more insights on the real David Savard. It makes you love the guy even more.

Does anyone mind sharing a bit?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Here's a lil bit (read it quick! ;)):

When the Blue Jackets were getting ready for their annual Halloween party a couple of years ago, captain Nick Foligno said there was one question brewing among the boys.
“What are the Savards going to do this year?”
David Savard and his wife, Valerie, would go all out at every holiday party, from Christmas to Halloween. One year, they dressed up like Legos, disguised so well behind the painted boxes that nobody knew who they were for 20 minutes. Pierre-Luc Dubois said most rookies would just grab a mask last minute, but Savard inspired him one year to collaborate as the Justin Timberlake and Adam Samberg “Dick in the Box” characters from “Saturday Night Live” skit.
“(The Savards) were always the kings of Halloween,” Dubois joked.
But Savard saved his best for the team party in 2019. It was at Rehab Tavern, a dive bar in Columbus with brick on the outside and plenty of character inside. You can play pool, pinball, order everything from Bud Light to Bell’s craft beer to Bulleit. The wall on the outside patio has a painted sign:
“Whiskey Made Me Do It.”
That night, Savard — a 6-foot-2, 230-pound French Canadian — walked in wearing a Scottish kilt, fake beard, a fat suit, pink beret and yellow cardigan.
He was Fat Bastard, the character from the movie “Austin Powers: Goldmember.” Valerie was a Fembot and looked like one in a pink puffy dress, blonde wig and a cannon on her bra. Dubois joined them as Austin Powers, with Lukas Sedlak Dr. Evil. Savard didn’t just look like Fat Bastard, he acted like him, saying, “Get in my belly!” Savard wore the fat suit to the rink the next day, and again at the Christmas party in an ugly holiday sweater.
“It was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen,” Foligno said. “We were dying.”
“He would always make himself the life of the party,” Seth Jones said.
Foligno laughed: “Oh God, man, I can’t wait for the boys to have a night drinking with ‘Savvy.’”
With Savard facing the Blue Jackets Thursday for the first time since his April 12 trade to the Lightning, there’s going to be plenty of emotions — on both sides. Tampa Bay paid a hefty price to acquire Savard, a puck-eating, minute-munching, shutdown defenseman who could be a key final piece in a quest for back-to-back Stanley Cups. Those who know Savard from his decade in Columbus say he comes as advertised, with coach John Tortorella believing Tampa Bay will appreciate his “ugly as hell” but an effective game that made him a “glue guy” for the Blue Jackets.
Dubois, who lived with the Savard family as a rookie, said Savard was part father figure, part friend, part “Dumb and Dumber” sidekick who welcomed him into their home. Cam Atkinson can still hear the booming and beautiful sound of Savard driving his 1967 Camaro to the rink. Foligno will never forget the FaceTime calls with Savard, a father of three, after knee hockey battles with their kids, and the emotional conversation in his backyard the day the defenseman was traded.
Savard, whose family came down this week and are moving into a rental close to Amalie Arena, said everything is starting to sink in as he faces the only other team he’s ever known.
“It’s going to be really weird,” Savard said. “I don’t know if I want it to happen right away, maybe it’s better that way. I feel like in the last few games, I felt like I was just getting used to wearing the Lightning jersey. The first couple games, it felt weird walking into the rink after 10 years in Columbus.
“But I’m so happy to be here. We’ve got a really good team and a chance to do something special.”

(Courtesy Pierre-Luc Dubois)
Savard laughed at the first text he received from Victor Hedman welcoming him to the team.
“Now you won’t be able to walk me.”
Hedman was referring to the highlight-reel goal Savard scored during the Blue Jackets comeback in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series in 2019. Savard, carrying the puck on the right side inside the Tampa Bay blueline, darted around Hedman and beat Andrei Vasilevskiy to pull Columbus within 3-2. They eventually erased a 3-0 deficit to win Game 1, a galvanizing victory that sparked their improbable sweep of the President’s Trophy champs.
When teammates asked Savard about the goal post-game, the defenseman said, “I blacked out.”
“If he doesn’t score that goal, I don’t think we come back in the game,” Foligno said. “That’s when we started to believe. For him to get that for us, it catapulted our team.
“Those are the kind of plays he’s willing to make. He knew when he had to chance to make a big play, whether it’s a huge block or great defensive play, or sliding play on a 2-on-1. That’s what Savvy does for you, those big moments, he can come up big.”
What people don’t realize is that Savard started his hockey career as an offensive defenseman. No, he wasn’t a Hedman or an Erik Karlsson, but Savard still racked up 77 points in 72 games (64 assists) in his final season in juniors with Moncton (QMJHL). He was a power-play guy, a right-shot who could spark the rush.
Savard said he learned from his father, Gervais, who played forward at the University of Québec à Trois-Rivières. He got Savard and his two older brothers, Phil, 37, and Vince, 34, involved in the game and Gervais, 67, still plays beer league hockey twice a week.
“He’s definitely where I got my passion from,” Savard said.
It wasn’t until Savard got to AHL Springfield when he started his evolution into the tough-nosed, shutdown defenseman you see today. The Blue Jackets had drafted him in the fourth round in 2009 and were looking to get more offense from him in his early time in pro hockey. But then Springfield coach Brad Larsen, now a Blue Jackets assistant, had to change their view of Savard to get the best out of him.
It wasn’t that Savard wasn’t good enough to play an offensive role, but they had to embrace Savard’s strengths. He had a great stick, he was tough, willing to block shots and win battles.
“Not many guys are able to change their style or adapt to get a full-time job in the NHL,” Larsen said. “To his credit, he embraced that. He’s an incredible man to coach.”
Savard said he realized his first year in the AHL that the best way for him to stick around was to play well defensively. He was a bigger guy and had to use his assets. The power play roles at the NHL level would soon be taken by the likes of Jones and Zach Werenski.
“I just kept making sure I was playing well because I knew if you weren’t putting up points, you have to play well defensively or you’re going to be in the stands,” Savard said. “The more (Werenski and Jones) were getting better, my role really became the defensive side and I just kind of embraced it and enjoyed playing against the top lines.”
Savard said his goal against the Lightning in 2019 playoffs was his “nicest goal yet.” It happened so quickly that he was just reading and reacting, he just tried to put it on net.
“You never know, if (the Lightning) make a run, he might score a big goal at the right time,” Larsen said. “That’s what makes him so valuable. He’ll come down the right side in the offensive zone, pull off a toe drag and finish. You may see that in the playoffs.
“Maybe I’m being prophetic here.”

(Courtesy Pierre-Luc Dubois)
Savard and Jones would often sit across from each other on Blue Jackets charter flights.
While other teammates were playing cards or video games, the two defensemen mostly talked.
The most popular subject? Food.
“He’s definitely a foodie,” Jones said. “He loves trying new restaurants. He’d always get us to try new places on the road, whether it was an Italian place or steakhouse.”
Savard said he loves cooking, and is still learning, but he’s mostly into exploring new restaurants (his favorite in Tampa has been On Swann). He’d search online, and reserve a table for his teammates to try a five-course meal, with his favorite where the chefs pick out their best.
Savard also loves classic cars. It comes from his father’s side. His grandfather passed away when Savard was young, but he’d remember his father telling stories how he’d switch cars every year, from a Mustang to a Charger. So when Savard signed his first big contract, he went online and started looking. He found a 1967 Camaro and fell in love.
“I just think there’s a different feel to it, the sound when you start it,” Savard said. “It’s pretty loud. I’ve got to make sure the kids aren’t sleeping when I come home in it. I used to wake them up a lot.”

“It fits his personality perfectly,” Foligno said. “You expect him to get out of a big truck all jacked up, but he comes in cruising in a beautiful muscle car. That’s just Savvy, man.”
Foligno thinks back to the Savard he met nine years ago, the hulking French Canadian who rarely said a word, and can’t believe the larger-than-life personality he grew into. There’s karaoke, with Atkinson saying Savard will be known to sing Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing,” with his stage presence better than his voice. Then there’s whenever a song by Canadian rock band Blue Rodeo comes on at a bar.
“His shirt might be coming off,” Foligno said. “That’s the Savvy I think they’ll come to love. He brings the fun, the entertainment to everything we do.
“When it’s time to work, he brings it. When it’s time to have fun, he’s right there in the middle.”
When Blue Rodeo was brought up, Savard chuckled. “It’s an old story, didn’t think it’d come out.” He said it started in Springfield when the team would listen to it all the time. Whenever a certain song came on, they’d all scream it.
The Springfield team would also go to a nearby restaurant/bar called Squally’s and get together in a room there. Atkinson said they’d play a game called Grenade where once someone yelled it, everyone would have to hit the ground. Whoever was last had to do a shot.
“I just love to have fun,” Savard said. “I enjoy being around the guys and it’s something you’re going to miss when you’re done.”
When Dubois joined the Blue Jackets as a rookie in 2017, he could have started by living in a hotel or rented an apartment.
But Savard, having been coached by Dubois’ father in junior, talked with Valerie about the possibility of inviting the teenager to live with them.
“It ended up being some great memories I’ll have the rest of my life,” Dubois said.
Dubois moved into the Savard’s Upper Arlington suburban home, his room right next to their kids (they now have three children, Emma, 5, Elliot, 4, Zach, 1).
The Savards only had a couple of rules with Dubois, with the main one to let them know if he was missing family dinner. The other? Dubois would babysit after the kids went to bed on occasion so the couple could have a date night.
Dubois enjoyed playing knee hockey with Elliot. He’d paint Emma’s toenails. They’d watch TV. Savard quipped Dubois wasn’t “too keen on changing diapers,” but the kids still refer to that room as “PL’s bedroom.”
“You quickly became like an uncle,” Dubois said.
Dubois left around Christmas, when the Savards had family in town visiting. The initial plan was for Dubois to find his own place but he came back after the holidays with his bags — he wanted to stay.
They’d watch hockey together, or the Quebec version of The Bachelorette. They’d stay up late in the living room talking about anything, from serious to silly.
When the Blue Jackets had an 80s night party, Savard and Dubois coordinated their outfits. Savard wore a jean jacket and a mullet. Dubois had a Miami Vice look with a pink suit, white turtle neck.
“Everyone loved him on the team,” Dubois said. “He was always joking around, having fun. David was sometimes a friend, sometimes a father figure, sometimes we were ‘Dumb and Dumber’ together. He could be mature and could also be a kid and have fun.”

David Savard at a Blue Jackets community event. (Courtesy Columbus Blue Jackets)
On the morning of April 10, Savard and Foligno caught up at Nationwide Arena. Both veterans were expected to be dealt by the trade deadline two days later, so they decided to meet up at Foligno’s that afternoon to let their kids play together in the backyard one last time.
Savard made the coffee run to pick up lattes, with his two oldest kids in the backseat. But while he was in the drive-thru, he got a call from Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen.
He was traded to Tampa.
“You’re just shocked,” he said.
Savard called Valerie, then tried to keep his two kids quiet as he completed the 10-minute drive to Foligno’s house. Savard was late.
“What took you so long?” Foligno asked.
“I got traded,” Savard replied.
“Holy shit,” Foligno said.
They looked at each other, with Savard saying it got emotional. Foligno was traded to the Maple Leafs the next day.
“We realized this might be the end of our time together,” Foligno said.
They came up together with the Blue Jackets, became fathers together. They sat in the backyard, sipping their lattes, going down memory lane. All the games and practices. The sweep over Tampa. The Halloween parties. The Blue Rodeo moments.
“I can’t believe I’ve got to play these guys in a couple weeks,” Savard told Foligno. “It’s going to be so weird. I don’t know if I’m going to laugh or what looking across at them. It’ll be emotional.”
It was comforting for Foligno and Savard to be together in that life-changing moment. Both friends would be chasing a Cup for a team other than Columbus. They laughed at how much fun it’d be if they played against each other in the playoffs.
They thanked each other for everything over the years.
“Let’s be honest, Savvy didn’t wear an ‘A,’ but he was one of the leaders on our team, if not the most important one on the back end,” Foligno said. “You guys will see that. He’s not the most outgoing guy to start, but as soon as they get to know him, his true colors will come out — the big Frenchman. He’s one of the team favorites. A great guy, a world class guy.”
The two buddies sat out back for an hour and a half. Foligno noticed how bittersweet it was for Savard, but could tell how internally excited he was. Savard was pumped his family could soon join him, having been traded to another U.S. city.
“He believed he was going to a really good team with a real shot at a Cup,” Foligno said. “He realized what they paid for him, and that gave him confidence.”
Savard joked with Foligno that he’s so happy he doesn’t have to face the Lightning potent power play anymore.
They had a good laugh. “Holy shit,” Foligno said. “Amen to that.”
When Savard gathered his kids and headed home, it was only the start of a whirlwind few weeks. He took a private jet the next night to meet the team in Nashville, having a late night dinner with Hedman, former Columbus teammate Curtis McElhinney and captain Steven Stamkos. He could sense their drive, how they feel like they still “have something to prove.”
He didn’t have many shared stories to talk about. At least, not yet.
“It was tough to leave Columbus but I loved the guys, the team, the city, they were awesome to me and my family,” Savard said. “At the same time, it’s a great chance to win a Stanley Cup. I was really pumped about that. That’s all you dream of as a player.”

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe someone with more skill can forward content. But in summary, the article included stories of CBJ Halloween parties (one at Rehab Tavern) where Savard Dressed as Fat B*stard with his wife as the fembot and PLD as Austin Powers, Sedalia as Dr Evil. The picture was a good. So too was another party where he and PLD went as Timberlake and Samborn doing their SNL D*ckintheBox characters. Again with pictures, other mentions were his love of his 67 Camero, the music group Blue Rodeo and karaoke in general.

Taking in PLD to the family household when PLD arrived was a nice section as was Savard taking his kids to play with the Foligno Kids one more time as he was being traded. Clearly he and Nick had a special relationship.

There’s much more that I’m unable to convey with ample justice. While more of an introduction of Savard to TB fans, it’s served as a great send-off piece for me.

edit - I type so slowly that Monk responded more directly before I could post.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Taking in PLD to the family household when PLD arrived was a nice section as was Savard taking his kids to play with the Foligno Kids one more time as he was being traded. Clearly he and Nick had a special relationship.

Related, and semi-self-serving, from 2018:

"At the same time, Dubois is just a kid. Just a few months removed from being a teenager, Dubois might be as likely to have his nails painted by teammate David Savard’s daughter or play with Savard’s young son in the park as he is to score a hat trick. Of course, those two things are likely, so hopefully the prospects of Dubois having a big year for the Jackets are as well.
During the 2017-2018 season, Dubois’ first in the NHL, the then-19-year-old lived with the Savards, providing them with a live-in babysitter and sometime dishwasher, but mostly enjoying a comfortable off-ice environment, easing the young player’s transition into professional hockey and adult life."

Blue Jackets 2018-19 season preview: Pierre-Luc Dubois steps out on his own

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

that was a fun read

Jan

Jan 30, 2021
Yes he surely play better than ever.
So what planet are you living on?

+/- means nothing but yeah I thought that Savard and Hedman struggled together. I still think Tampa will like what they get and we made out well with the pick.
+/- means nothing.
That depend on how often you are the reason, that your line is a minus.
I notes that Bjorkstarnd in his interview after his last goal, had a lot of focus on exactly the +/- statistic.
SO FANS THAT ARE FOCUS ON GOALS and POINT statistic thing the 50goals and -30 is a great success, but I can grantee that player do not like 2 goals and -1. They will takke it, if the team win, but will not like personally being -1 and they will feel they failed.

So except of his chance to win the cup with the lighting, I can not imagine that Savard is too pleased with his +/- static. Loosing Saward is not the reason that we loose even more not.
loosing Zach and Jenner has much more to do with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad