David Rundblad Appreciation Thread

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Twenty six wonderful games as a Phoenix Coyote.

You will be missed, you beautiful son of a gun.

lol. I was a believer. It took me awhile though. It started with my complaint from the 2009 World Juniors where I was trashing the Swedish coach for giving OEL's icetime on the PP to Rundblad who had a penchant for over-stickhandling at the blueline sending everyone off-side or handing it to the opposition for a 2-1 break.

World class skills. Gets the puck on net often. Can put up points.

Picked up to allow the franchise an option to move Yandle for help up front. Hope they chose wisely.

Rundblad will either be part of a cup run or be on waivers in a year. We'll soon see if my glowing reports of his play were accurate or not.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
This is one of the most tragic episodes in recent franchise history.

One of the most immense pieces of talent to have come our way, even if he was very raw, and at the beginning had some issues adapting to NA style of hockey. Having been the major fruit from the fallout with Turris, expectations on him were high, perhaps too high on his young shoulders. His chances here were basically ruined by the man behind the bench, same as with the player that was moved for him.

DR, you will be missed in Phx; wish you a cup ring in the near future in a wonderful organization.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The skill is there. It was worth taking a chance on. Certainly a better chance of DR being a regular (even as a 5/6 PP guy) than of a late 2nd taking a roster spot. And his ceiling is much higher. Still don't understand this move. If you knew he wasn't going to be used here then move him when you knew that right after he had an amazing preseason and teams are adjusting their roster.
Still irritated...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The skill is there. It was worth taking a chance on. Certainly a better chance of DR being a regular (even as a 5/6 PP guy) than of a late 2nd taking a roster spot. And his ceiling is much higher. Still don't understand this move. If you knew he wasn't going to be used here then move him when you knew that right after he had an amazing preseason and teams are adjusting their roster.
Still irritated...

We can't know offers were any better then. Plus, maybe they wanted him around in case of injury to Yandle or OEL.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Still irritated...

This.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Still irritated...

Oh yeah, didn't he lead the team in points during the preseason and look great? Funny where that gets you. Yes, it's the preseason. But he showed he can hang. No worse than the other two guys he was competing with for time. And the "he can't PK" knock doesn't mean much when you've got one of the worst in the league with the guys you have out there.

Hope he lights it up.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Eh. Maybe. He could become a lethal PP weapon for some NHL team, or he could just as easily become waiver fodder.

Yes; we will see. Even a 30% chance of him coming into form would have been worth it; as we know what his ceiling is (probably a top 10 offensive D-men in the league), if he develops correctly. Our coaching simply cannot understand for a second, the importance of planning and investing for the future, at the cost of one roster spot for a couple dozen more games. Why, so they can continue to play underwhelming borderline NHLer like Schlemko and Klesla, and rapidly fading players like DMo.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
EDIT: I'm going to move this to the trade thread. This one is for appreciation.

I appreciate his Swedish highlight videos on youtube. Jaw-dropping player in Europe.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Oh yeah, didn't he lead the team in points during the preseason and look great? Funny where that gets you.

Yes, I sort of thought we would make room for him then and that he'd earned a spot on the roster, but apparently David Schlemko actually helps us win more games. I don't buy it. He was never worse than Schlemko. I don't hate Schlemko, but he is what he is. I'd burn an asset in Schlemko before I'd trade Rundblad for a 2nd. If Tipp was so set on Schlemko, Maloney's job is to remove Schlemko from the equation, imo. Or if Maloney thinks Rundblad is a dud, he needed to move him the moment he decided that.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Rundblad will become Karlsson 2.0 and win a Norris trophy and Phoenix will be the laughing stock of the NHL for years to come. In 25 years when the "Post hockey facts!" Threads pop up, "Did you know Phoenix traded the great David Rundblad away for only a SECOND round pick?" Will be one of the posts in it.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I just wish he didn't go to Chicago. Trade him to a team that doesn't need even more talent. Having him send Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp breakout passes all the time could only do wonders for his confidence. Must be nice playing with guys that can handle a firm pass. I'm looking at you Chipchura...

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
You won't be missed, brah. I don't really remember you playing much. So I don't know how I could miss you.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
It will never be the same without you David

Visitor%2BRadio.JPG

Remember...we will always reserve a seat for you here in Arizona.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
An elite PMD that never got a fair shot while he was here. I don't know how people could say he's awesome or that he sucks based on our limited viewing. Even if you're not a fan of his game our management screwed the pooch on this one. Yes potential doesn't make you a good NHL'er but I'll take potential any day of the week. Hard to find the kind of upside this guy possesses. Certainly our scouting staff won't find it with a 2nd. Thanks for your professionalism David. You handled it better than most. Best of luck to you in Chitown.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
An elite PMD that never got a fair shot while he was here. I don't know how people could say he's awesome or that he sucks based on our limited viewing. Even if you're not a fan of his game our management screwed the pooch on this one. Yes potential doesn't make you a good NHL'er but I'll take potential any day of the week. Hard to find the kind of upside this guy possesses. Certainly our scouting staff won't find it with a 2nd. Thanks for your professionalism David. You handled it better than most. Best of luck to you in Chitown.

Yeah, I just shiver at the thought of him turning into another Yandle elsewhere, and we are left holding the bag (yet again).

It seems that this pattern will rinse and repeat until Tippett is booted from the organization.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I can truly say I appreciate Rundblad just for the fact that he didn't become a malcontent like so many other former Coyotes, when he was forced to earn ice time. He played in the minors, he rarely played in NHL games, but he practiced with the big club regularly like a professional. Didn't read Swedish articles that he wasn't given a fair shot, and he didn't just bail to a European league after the Turris trade.

He may never be an NHL defenseman, but he's a bigger man than a combined Wheeler, Turris, Mueller, and in an attempt to make RT feel a little older.....Alexei Kaigorodov.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I can truly say I appreciate Rundblad just for the fact that he didn't become a malcontent like so many other former Coyotes, when he was forced to earn ice time. He played in the minors, he rarely played in NHL games, but he practiced with the big club regularly like a professional. Didn't read Swedish articles that he wasn't given a fair shot, and he didn't just bail to a European league after the Turris trade.

He may never be an NHL defenseman, but he's a bigger man than a combined Wheeler, Turris, Mueller, and in an attempt to make RT feel a little older.....Alexei Kaigorodov.

Great post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad