David Poile is the best GM in the NHL AINEC. But perhaps even the best GM in ALL of sports.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The title speaks for itself. I want to keep this as hockey-related as possible so does anybody have any examples of an NHL GM over the past 20 years that is in this guy's class? Talk about building a team the right way - through the draft, savvy trades, great contracts etc. The only guy that comes to mind is Ken Holland but in some ways he just kept the ship rolling. The team already had great history, Lidstrom on the back-end and a few other solid vets to build around. It was either genius, luck, or probably both, in acquiring Zetterberg and Datsyuk late which also helped carry him onwards.

Without getting this thread shutdown for not being hockey related I would briefly bring up some of the best GMs (in my opinion) outside of hockey:
1) NFL = Bill Belichick & Kevin Colbert
2) NBA = Pat Riley & RC Buford

This is more of a David Poile appreciation post but would like to hear what you guys think.

P.S. Yes I already know Chiarelli sucks.

Reactions: Adz and myFialabot

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
He is absolutely a fantastic GM. But let's pump the breaks a bit.

He's won exactly nothing. To be the best in all of sports? One would think he's got to bring something home. There s only so long you can rest on "bwahahahs I totally screwed Bergevin."

I like Poile. Love what he has built in Nashville. But let's see him win some hardware before we crown him the best of anything

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
ROFL. Greatest GM of all time...never won a championship...

You get the point of sports right OP?

Yeah he's a good GM but get real.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Firstly, I did not say of all-time. Secondly, winning a cup should not be the sole way to judge a GM's job when there are so many other factors that should be valued. Again, I ask which GM should be ranked ahead of him. Do we simply say Holland because he's won 4 cups even if he inherited the best Dman of our lifetime, a historic franchise that stars would take a discount to play for (Poile has never had that), and getting lucky in the draft a few times? Jerry West is up there, forgot about him. Briefly had a brain fart when forgetting about Lou, he's definitely up in the top 3 as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is best in hockey, no doubt. Don't follow other American sports.

He's pretty bold, almost always wins trades, progressive thinker in terms of cap management (Josi, Jarnkrok or even Arvidsson's contracts were pretty groundbreaking). The downside is he has never been in position to win anything until now (arguably wasn't as good as a GM until recently) and the way this society works he won't get any acknowledgement until he does.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Entering this season as a General Manager

GM of Washington Capitals (13 seasons)
0 Stanley Cups
7 playoff series wins
1 Division Champions

GM of Nashville Predators (17 seasons)
O Stanley Cups
6 playoff series wins
O Division Champions

Nashville Predators are looking good this season but saying he is the best GM in the NHL AINEC is crazy let along adding possibly in all of sports.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Firstly, I did not say of all-time. Secondly, winning a cup should not be the sole way to judge a GM's job when there are so many other factors that should be valued. Again, I ask which GM should be ranked ahead of him. Do we simply say Holland because he's won 4 cups even if he inherited the best Dman of our lifetime, a historic franchise that stars would take a discount to play for (Poile has never had that), and getting lucky in the draft a few times? Jerry West is up there, forgot about him. Briefly had a brain fart when forgetting about Lou, he's definitely up in the top 3 as well.

Uh I think the GMs purpose is building for a cup championship. That’s the whole goal of sports.

I also think saying Holland and Lou as best GMs ever is a bit much. I’d personally would go with Sam Pollock.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Honestly, and I am not a fan of either, but the Spurs and Pats have been prolific the past 20ish years.

As far as GMs go, I mean...really

Reactions: KingTrouty

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
He honestly is, bias aside. hes built this team from the ground up keep the team afloat when leopold made him gut the team for salary when he sold it, restarted and built another contender. Wouldnt trade him for any other GM. Winning takes more than skill. He'll get his ring, i hope. No one deserves it more. He is the single biggest reason hockey has taken off in TN. Ton of respect for him and Trotz

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
The title speaks for itself. I want to keep this as hockey-related as possible so does anybody have any examples of an NHL GM over the past 20 years that is in this guy's class? Talk about building a team the right way - through the draft, savvy trades, great contracts etc. The only guy that comes to mind is Ken Holland but in some ways he just kept the ship rolling. The team already had great history, Lidstrom on the back-end and a few other solid vets to build around. It was either genius, luck, or probably both, in acquiring Zetterberg and Datsyuk late which also helped carry him onwards.

Without getting this thread shutdown for not being hockey related I would briefly bring up some of the best GMs (in my opinion) outside of hockey:
1) NFL = Bill Belichick & Kevin Colbert
2) NBA = Pat Riley & RC Buford

This is more of a David Poile appreciation post but would like to hear what you guys think.

P.S. Yes I already know Chiarelli sucks.
But what has he won?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Entering this season as a General Manager

GM of Washington Capitals (13 seasons)
0 Stanley Cups
7 playoff series wins
1 Division Champions

GM of Nashville Predators (17 seasons)
O Stanley Cups
6 playoff series wins
O Division Champions

Nashville Predators are looking good this season but saying he is the best GM in the NHL AINEC is crazy let along adding possibly in all of sports.

This exactly! He's won 13 playoff series in 30 seasons!!!!!

Pittsburgh has won 8 series in the last 2 seasons.....

Reactions: gab6511

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Jim Rutherford over hauled almost the entire Penguins team and won back to back Cups.

Pre that process the Penguins were in a death spiral (and I am a Pens fan, they were complete pretenders for years).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad