David Pastrnak II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
option 3 for sure, lets not kid ourselves, if we were injury free and had that winger we lust for Pasta doesn't have a spot yet.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I wouldn't be shocked to see him sent back to the P, and less surprised to see him sent out to WJC for a few weeks, but my gut says they keep him around.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
His skillset is dynamic enough, compared to the rest of the team, that he brings and element that is desperately needed.

If he is getting the toi and he can handle it then I have no problem. Would I rather see a legit sniper or pwf in the top six, you bet, but these are the cards we have and need to play the best hand possible with what we've been dealt

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Completely ineffective last night and after his first game has been less and less. Claude first says you have to play him with scorers to see what he is and then plays him with Kelly. At this point I would slot him with Soderberg and Lucic as that line stinks at the moment.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I would put Smith back with Soda and Lucic and Pasta back with Marchand and Bergeron.

They've said more than once if Pasta comes up it will be to play in the top 6 and they need to stick by that.

iGetCarried*

Completely ineffective last night and after his first game has been less and less. Claude first says you have to play him with scorers to see what he is and then plays him with Kelly. At this point I would slot him with Soderberg and Lucic as that line stinks at the moment.

Kelly is good offensivley.

for the other team ;)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's struggled mightily since those first couple games. I just don't think he's ready yet, which is no surprise. I can appreciate him firing it on net every opportunity he gets, although his shot looks to be one of the weakest parts of his game.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Unfair. He played him with Bergeron for a few games and he became less and less effective. You can't ding the coach for not making moves and then when he sees that Pastrnak is slipping and Smith looks more confident, ding him for switching them. It was the right move.

I'm quite sure when/if they get back on the rails with Krejci back, they'll try Pastrnak with more offensive players. But when they are dying for points and Pastrnak is ineffective, you move him down and cut his ice.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
They should sit him out the next game in favor of Griffith. Then send him to Providence to play next weekend and then release him to the WJC. They can recall him sometime in January when Krejci is healthy for an additional 4 games to complete the tryout.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
They should sit him out the next game in favor of Griffith. Then send him to Providence to play next weekend and then release him to the WJC. They can recall him sometime in January when Krejci is healthy for an additional 4 games to complete the tryout.

I agree with everything above ^ Not a bad plan at all. Maybe there's some improvement when he comes back in January and makes an actual case to stay with the team.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Undeniably talented, but not strong enough for the NHL yet. Needs to be sent down to mature physically.

I have a feeling the current environment in the big club is kind of toxic right now, anyway.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
At this point, what's the worse that can happen? I would keep him. Have him play wing with Lucic and Krejci

The worst that can happen is that he is ineffective for the rest of this year and next year. Then you have a situation where a kid makes the team as an 18 year old and then get sent back down to Providence in his sophomore season. It is a nightmare. Instead, he could be top 20 in scoring in the AHL and a dominant player at the WJC. A tremendous season where he exceeds expectations versus a confidence shattering season.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Undeniably talented, but not strong enough for the NHL yet. Needs to be sent down to mature physically.

I have a feeling the current environment in the big club is kind of toxic right now, anyway.

Based on what exactly? I'm talking specific knowledge. Or are you in fact just guessing and pulling this out of you arse.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
Based on what exactly? I'm talking specific knowledge. Or are you in fact just guessing and pulling this out of you arse.

I just mean the subpar effort the team is putting out night after night is probably not the best learning experience for a rookie. The team is lacking the hard-nosed work ethic of previous seasons.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
One sequence stood out to me last night. Pasta battled his butt off for a puck in the O zone on the RW boards, against a Dman (forget who, sorry) that towered over him. Looked like some kid playing against his dad in terms of body weight. Pasta gave him hell and didn't give up, however, eventually lost possession after a valiant effort. The guy got a step on him, and advanced the puck into the neutral zone.

Then Pasta did something I couldn't believe. He smoked the guy w/ all he and his 165 pds could muster. Not just going through the motions, more so as if he was trying to say -- that was my puck, a-hole!

I'd keep him around.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
One sequence stood out to me last night. Pasta battled his butt off for a puck in the O zone on the RW boards, against a Dman (forget who, sorry) that towered over him. Looked like some kid playing against his dad in terms of body weight. Pasta gave him hell and didn't give up, however, eventually lost possession after a valiant effort. The guy got a step on him, and advanced the puck into the neutral zone.

Then Pasta did something I couldn't believe. He smoked the guy w/ all he and his 165 pds could muster. Not just going through the motions, more so as if he was trying to say -- that was my puck, a-hole!

I'd keep him around.

I haven`t seen any of the games on the Western swing so I can`t speak to Pasta and his performance with any first hand knowledge whatsoever but I will say this.

I too get frustrated with CJ sometimes, hard not to however, I will always maintain that he`s not anywhere near the kind of coach who hates offense, or hates players with talent, or young kids etc....what he asks IMO, is hardly something I would call as outrageous. He asks his players to be aware defensively, to put themselves into positions where the D man has a clear target to make a pass, he asks/demands that those playing are WILLING to get involved.

Doesn`t mean he`s standing behind the bench and is disgusted then benches a kid or anyone else if/when they lose a battle along the boards. He will however, sit a kid if they miss assignments, or clearly seem lost in their own end and why wouldn`t he?? I think what he asks is simple....compete for the puck, don`t shy away from a play because there will be contact made, be willing to either initiate or take a hit and from what I`ve read (not just your post), Pasta has been doing that and while he isn`t playing 17-20 mins a night, I think I read he played about 13 mins the other night against the Sharks? That`s pretty solid TOI for the kid

I`m one who hasn`t been as offended at the handling of Spooner as many, I just haven`t seen the game others have from him but it wouldn`t be the first time I have been terribly wrong about a kid. When I have watched him (on TV granted) I have watched far too often as the puck entered the Bruins zone, he seemed just hesitant enough to get to his spot or identify a player he should be on that it would irk Claude

He`s a young player, mistakes happen, but the areas where I think Spoons may have gotten into CJ`s bad books if you will are precisely what you described with Pasta above, getting involved.

Ok, I`ll check my inbox for the inevitable irate PM`s I often receive after voicing my opinions and those not wanting infractions by posting on the board send me;)

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
@RealJackEdwards: Bartkowski & Pastrnak skating the 5 circles drill under Doug Jarvis' watch; only men on ice. Looks like Bs try to go heavier v ARI 8PM #NESN

Sweet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad