Celebrity Death: David Ogden Stiers (75)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
DXaRlPcWkAAo2vj.jpg

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think his character was ten times better than burns. Better written and he gave as good as he got

I watched MASH from it's inception. The first year, there three similar characters, Blake, Hawkeye and Trapper. Womanizing, drinkers but good doctors.
Having the contrast of Potter, an older army regular, Hawkeye, and family man BJ just make the show better.
Frank Burns gave everything he had but character was growing stale. Winchester, a very competent doctor, a strong minded individual, a different "guy" again made all the characters around him better.

Thanks David Ogden Stiers for brighting our lives.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He was in Star Trek TNG in a role in season 4. It was a pretty good role.

RIP
He played an alien scientist rebelling against his planet's custom of euthanizing people when they reached 60. At least he lived 15 years longer in real life.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
He played an alien scientist rebelling against his planet's custom of euthanizing people when they reached 60. At least he lived 15 years longer in real life.

Pretty much the only good Lwaxana episode. However, I have an odd fascination with Fascination.

It's probably the most meta episode of DS9

latest

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

I'm a huge TNG fan so yes I know the episode. Also there was a Lwaxana episode in season 7 I also liked. It also had Kirsten Dunst.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
'In the first place I don't sweat, I perspire. In the second place, I never perspire.'
HUGE HUGE Mash fan here. My favourite show of all time, followed ever so closely by All in the Family.
Because of Winchester, I often say 'thank you', simply as "Q..."

RIP Major Charles Emerson Winchester, the Third.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I seem to be one of about 8 people who fondly (or at all) remember the Dead Zone series where he was also quite good. Especially the first 2-3 seasons before the writing went bad.

Also one of the biggest WTF moments I ever had gaming was firing up Icewind Dale and hearing him as the narrator :laugh:

Absolutely no doubt, he was 100 times better than Burns. Part of one of the best and most memorable shows of all-time.

Burns was kind of whiny and annoying. Intentionally so I'd gather but it was perhaps too on the nose for the viewer :laugh:

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
RIP. He popped up in a lot of roles besides just MASH. Was thinking about that Frasier episode he guest stared him. He really could have been Niles and Frasier's dad. Both he and John Mahoney passed away recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad