David Legwand's defensive ability

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Sens fans seem to think that he'll be a very good defensive player. Just curious on what nashville fans think of his game. Is he really good defensively like most sens fans seem to think he is?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Sens fans seem to think that he'll be a very good defensive player. Just curious on what nashville fans think of his game. Is he really good defensively like most sens fans seem to think he is?

not sure how much age is catching up to him but he was almost always centering the line we would put out against the oppositions top line.

unfortunately, his defensive prowess seemed to come at the expense of offensive production, much to the dismay of much of the fan base. but that was largely due to our expectations based on his #2 overall draft position.

If your expectations are a defensively responsible #3C who is solid on the PK, you won't be disappointed

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Reading through some of these posts makes me laugh. The gripe from most fans about Legwand was his inconsistency and that included his defensive play as well as his offense. He can be really good at both ends one shift and then have a brain fart the next shift. Really solid player but if you are looking for consistent defensive play shift to shift you may be disappointed.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
not sure how much age is catching up to him but he was almost always centering the line we would put out against the oppositions top line.

unfortunately, his defensive prowess seemed to come at the expense of offensive production, much to the dismay of much of the fan base. but that was largely due to our expectations based on his #2 overall draft position.

If your expectations are a defensively responsible #3C who is solid on the PK, you won't be disappointed

Actually, OUR fanbase expects Malkin or Thorton as a #2 - Leggy is a fine #2C. He was top defensively in his prime, I'd expect him to be pretty solid still. The circle is probably where he's most inconsistent - he can have great stretches and then have a game where he wins 1 all night.

And - fanbase - for those of you who STILL think Leggy has never been a solid top 6 - he was 34 in C scoring last year, which put him just ahead of that fellow out in LA named Carter, ahead of Fish, ahead of Sedin, ahead of Ribs, ahead of Kessler, tied with BRichards. The good news, Olli was in the top 60, albeit just barely, so if he can maintain, Ribs bounces back a bit, and Hook plays anywhere near what he looks capable of, we'll have 3 #2s, and then we'll get Fish back.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Actually, OUR fanbase expects Malkin or Thorton as a #2 - Leggy is a fine #2C. He was top defensively in his prime, I'd expect him to be pretty solid still. The circle is probably where he's most inconsistent - he can have great stretches and then have a game where he wins 1 all night.

And - fanbase - for those of you who STILL think Leggy has never been a solid top 6 - he was 34 in C scoring last year, which put him just ahead of that fellow out in LA named Carter, ahead of Fish, ahead of Sedin, ahead of Ribs, ahead of Kessler, tied with BRichards. The good news, Olli was in the top 60, albeit just barely, so if he can maintain, Ribs bounces back a bit, and Hook plays anywhere near what he looks capable of, we'll have 3 #2s, and then we'll get Fish back.

Dont misunderstand my post. Leggy was indeed a #2C in his career here. I was one of his supporters. But expecting him to be a #2 C going forward may be too much, whereas expecting a #3C whose primary responsibility is defense and PK will probably be easily fulfilled

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Dont misunderstand my post. Leggy was indeed a #2C in his career here. I was one of his supporters. But expecting him to be a #2 C going forward may be too much, whereas expecting a #3C whose primary responsibility is defense and PK will probably be easily fulfilled
I actually think he's better suited to a #2 than a #3 at this point. His defensive play has been sliding off over the past few seasons, and he had played an increasingly diminished role on that side of the puck and the PK (down from 90+ minutes in '11-'12 to something like 7 last season). Now part of that is also due to having a guy like Gaustad to eat those minutes, so it's tough to gauge how much was simply Trotz loosing the reins a bit, and how much was Legwand's defense slipping.

Back to my main point. Giving Legwand easier minutes in a #2 scoring role where he can concentrate more on the offensive side of the puck, like he has the last few seasons, is probably making better use of him than matching him against other teams' top forwards in a #3 role, especially as his physical abilities start to decline.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Well, Leggy is centre for our first PP unit, so you can see what's expected of him here.

Or, rather, there, on Thursday night, baby!!!

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Curious as to what preds fans think the reception will be like for David's return opening night? I imagine nothing but positive?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Curious as to what preds fans think the reception will be like for David's return opening night? I imagine nothing but positive?

Mostly positive probably? There's an extremely vocal minority of the fanbase that is still bitter over Legwand's draft position and that he never became the type of franchise player you would normally see at that spot, that will probably boo him though.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

There's no way it won't be overwhelmingly positive. The minority can rip on him all they want but there's a difference in not liking him as a player, and not giving him respect for playing here for 15 years when he's here as a visitor. It'll be good.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
There's no way it won't be overwhelmingly positive. The minority can rip on him all they want but there's a difference in not liking him as a player, and not giving him respect for playing here for 15 years when he's here as a visitor. It'll be good.

I agree it will be positive. Its a bit of a shame that hes coming back on opening night, when there will be so much else going on...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Mostly positive probably? There's an extremely vocal minority of the fanbase that is still bitter over Legwand's draft position and that he never became the type of franchise player you would normally see at that spot, that will probably boo him though.

Hey they cant all be home runs... see: Daigle, Phillips for us lol, looking forward to the match thats for sure. Hope there is a little in house acknowledgement for the guy seems like classy pro by all accounts.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If I didn't have to work I'd be at the game cheering for him when he's announced. He didn't live up to expectations of some, but he still gave us a lot of his adult life. He was always professional. Hell, just this is reason enough to cheer the guy:

belak-ad_1315641a_medium.jpg

Then, you have the story about him having to sit on a stool in the shower after games because his knee needed surgery, but he kept playing since the team was so close to making the playoffs.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=12468104&postcount=51

That isn't an official media site, but I'd put money on anything Seth told me pertaining to the Preds.

Last edited:

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

He was the first draft pick for the first major professional franchise in Nashville. During 15 years in Nashville, he never produced as much offensively as the fan base would've liked, but was the epitome of the two-way, blue collar player that Preds are known for. I'll be surprised if they don't show a clip of his empty-netter that sealed the Preds first playoff series win defeating Anaheim. Bridgestone Arena was never louder than when Leggy put that game away. And that's saying something because the Bridge can be pretty damn loud. I'll be disappointed if he isn't given a standing ovation.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Me too! And I was one of the "disgruntled". I didn't dislike HIM, nor even his play (usually). He didn't live up to #2 pick, that's all. My "Legwand Sucks*" was more of a rally cry, but it did seem like we played better after he left for whatever reason.

*actually "Legwand you dumb***" but it was said with love.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
"Living up to being a #2 pick" is all objective. I said it for years (it doesn't mean I'm right or wrong) that if you look back at a draft and have a guy who's an excellent two-way forward for 15 years in the organization you have to count it as a win. Doesn't matter if you find him at #2 or #222. Sure you'd like to find those guys as low as possible in the draft but by no means should what Legwand gave us be unappreciated. That's also not taking into account that for his entire career here he played for a coach who was willing to sacrifice offense to ensure defensive production. He was great at that, but there's no definitive way to tell if he couldn't have been more of a point scorer if that was always his biggest role. He was a product of what was asked of him, and it's not sexy on the stat sheet.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
As much as you know I don't care for "Mr. Predator", he was at times a very good player.

However, his inconsistencies plagued him his entire career, and he's running out of time to change that.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
He's back in town today and looks weird in red:

Maren Angus @Maren_Angus said:
David Legwand is back on Bridgestone Arena ice for the first time since being traded last season #Preds #Sens
Bzci2wACQAAjc52.jpg

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
when i think of legwand, i will forever think of him stealing the puck from hatcher and scoring that playoff shorthanded goal, the greatest single moment and the loudest in predator history.

while he might not have been the player we hoped he would be, he gave everything he had for this organization and i will always wish him and therefore the sens the best.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
As much as you know I don't care for "Mr. Predator", he was at times a very good player.

However, his inconsistencies plagued him his entire career, and he's running out of time to change that.
It's certainly not the level some would like, but 11 out of 14 seasons posting .5 PPG average or better is pretty damn consistent, 6 of those being .6+. His first full season (.39) and his 63 point season are really the only major variances off his average range.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
when i think of legwand, i will forever think of him stealing the puck from hatcher and scoring that playoff shorthanded goal, the greatest single moment and the loudest in predator history.

Yep, for sure.

I also liked his stealing of this puck............. since he wasn't caught that is.
Will definitely stand and cheer for him tomorrow, no question about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad