Former Bruins David Krejci announces retirement.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I never agreed with O'Reilly. Middleton should be in the HHOF, which is an award in itself. O'Ree is a special case, I don't know why you even listed him. Bucyk, you have a point, but he's also a HOFer. The last two preceded most of the awards.

These are players that never won major individual awards, which was part of your criteria. I'm just pointing out awards have never had anything to do with getting a number retired as you're looking at a high percentage of the Bruins retired numbers that have never won a Hart, Selke, Conn Smythe, Norris.

Getting into the HOF is a career accomplishment, not an award which does help their case for getting a number retired. IMO, I think Krejci falls short of being HOF worthy but still should get his number retired for his importance to the team during one of it's more successful runs and his numbers relative to his peers.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
These are players that never won major individual awards, which was part of your criteria. I'm just pointing out awards have never had anything to do with getting a number retired as you're looking at a high percentage of the Bruins retired numbers that have never won a Hart, Selke, Conn Smythe, Norris.

Getting into the HOF is a career accomplishment, not an award which does help their case for getting a number retired. IMO, I think Krejci falls short of being HOF worthy but still should get his number retired for his importance to the team during one of it's more successful runs and his numbers relative to his peers.

Every retired number for the Bruins is in the HHOF, except O'Reilly and Middleton. Middleton's not in because of politics, he easily has the numbers for it. O'Reilly I always saw as a Harry Sinden stunt during a time when the Bruins weren't selling out. Aside from them, the last 5 retired or about to be retired numbers won major awards, Orr, Espo, Bourque, Chara and Bergeron. Anyway, it's purely subjective. My thoughts on the matter don't mean squat towards your thoughts, nor should they.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Once OReilly number was retired then I’m fine with Krejci

They should retire names and if the NHL is around in 100 years they’ll put all the numbers back in use and have the names somewhere m

Krejci has been my daughter’s favorite player so I’m all for it

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

They should retire names and if the NHL is around in 100 years they’ll put all the numbers back in use and have the names somewhere m

Ive often thought about reusing the numbers but have the initials of the honored player on the shoulder of the new wearer.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
today.

in years to come it will meanas much if Renouf wore # 2 today.
We are the lunatic fringe. Vast majority clueless on “ who was Eddie Shore?”
Difference being now is, there's actually media/footage of everything. Nobody can not know who the 70s- beyond Bruins were, especially the 2000+ teams/players.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I never agreed with O'Reilly. Middleton should be in the HHOF, which is an award in itself. O'Ree is a special case, I don't know why you even listed him. Bucyk, you have a point, but he's also a HOFer. The last two preceded most of the awards.

I agree with you about O'Reilly. Great Bruin but not an all time great player like Bucyk, Orr, etc.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Difference being now is, there's actually media/footage of everything. Nobody can not know who the 70s- beyond Bruins were, especially the 2000+ teams/players.

it wont matter. As time goes by video or not. People, majority, are drawn to the now. Especially nowadays. At least that my experience here and my opinion.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

Retire the names right now and put all the numbers back in circulation. I prefer low numbers instead of 82's and 57's.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
it wont matter. As time goes by video or not. People, majority, are drawn to the now. Especially nowadays. At least that my experience here and my opinion.
Really? I think it would/will be the opposite. You don't think people a century from now (granted this is if hockey still exists and the world is somewhat recognizable) would find ancient hockey footage interesting?

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Really? I think it would/will be the opposite. You don't think people a century from now (granted this is if hockey still exists and the world is somewhat recognizable) would find ancient hockey footage interesting?

nope.
again we do because we are the craziest of the crazy.
It already has started for a few years right here on the main boards. You can almost guess a persons age by what they post in comparing current and past players.
Even here, Im betting few know they took Dit Clappers 5 and gave it to Guy Lapointe when he played here in the 1980s.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
nope.
again we do because we are the craziest of the crazy.
It already has started for a few years right here on the main boards. You can almost guess a persons age by what they post in comparing current and past players.
Even here, Im betting few know they took Dit Clappers 5 and gave it to Guy Lapointe when he played here in the 1980s.

The "Legacy of Erik Karlsonn if he retired at 26 vs Orr if he kept playing" thread had me laughing so hard, I broke a rib.

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

I remember all the backlash Sinden took when he allowed that.
Here's a thought ... maybe do a reset on team numbers once a franchise has been in existence for a hundred years. Then if numbers had been retired it could be said that these retired numbers were the greatest team players of the past 100 years historically, and nothing would be lost going forward. Otherwise, most of the original six may one day end up with jersey number with triple digits.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
In 50 years there will people who are adamant Connor McDavid couldn’t play in 2073

Reactions: BMC and Gee Wally

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I remember all the backlash Sinden took when he allowed that.
Here's a thought ... maybe do a reset on team numbers once a franchise has been in existence for a hundred years. Then if numbers had been retired it could be said that these retired numbers were the greatest team players of the past 100 years historically, and nothing would be lost going forward. Otherwise, most of the original six may one day end up with jersey number with triple digits.
Or fractions!
ALeelaofHerOwn.jpg

Reactions: Sturm und Drang

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It still sucks thinking about what was lost in Savard getting knocked out of the league. Having Bergeron-Krejci-Savard down the middle for another 5+ years would have been nuts.

Will never know for certain but they may have lost Krejci to FA along the way having to be a 3C

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
yep

A lot of them. Lindstrom better than Orr. McDavid better than Gretzky. And on and on.

I'm one of the old timers here and there is no doubt that the greats like Orr, Howe, Beliveau, Richard, Hull etc would be all time greats today. However, the level of hockey competition is way higher today. If you shrunk the NHL down to six teams today,
even accounting for the lack of training, equipment and systems for O6 players , you still have to give a significant advantage to today's players.

For me, the proof would be the improvements in countries like the US, Finland and to a lesser degree Sweden (were always good). I would say a six team league drawn from those three countries while not as good as a league than say the NHL in 1966-67
wouldn't be far off competitvely.

I doubt it. The organization long expressed loyalty to Krejci and he in turn showed loyalty to the organization. Not to mention the proven willingness to take lower pay for staying with the Bruins.

We're going to agree to disagree here.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad