Player Discussion: David Jiricek, 6th Overall, 2022 Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Czechia defenceman David Jiricek has long been considered a top prospect and advanced for his age. He played his first games in the Czechia Extraliga in 2019-20, facing men when he was just 16-years-old. He has spent the majority of the last two years in the league, playing full-time against men at just 17 and 18-years-old. This season he scored five goals and six assists for 11 points in 29 games with HC Plzen. He was also part of the Czechia World Junior team, picking up an assist in the one game the team played before the tournament was shut down and postponed to August. Unfortunately, he also suffered a knee injury in that World Junior game and missed the next several months after surgery.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Czechia defenceman David Jiricek has long been considered a top prospect and advanced for his age. He played his first games in the Czechia Extraliga in 2019-20, facing men when he was just 16-years-old. He has spent the majority of the last two years in the league, playing full-time against men at just 17 and 18-years-old. This season he scored five goals and six assists for 11 points in 29 games with HC Plzen. He was also part of the Czechia World Junior team, picking up an assist in the one game the team played before the tournament was shut down and postponed to August. Unfortunately, he also suffered a knee injury in that World Junior game and missed the next several months after surgery.

He looked like the best defenseman in U20, but got injured. If that's something.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Think more Seth jones. Jiricek has way higher offensive upside than Gudbranson. And is a better skater

Jiricek is a lot like Seth Jones, for good and bad.

One difference though is that I think Jiricek is more naturally aggressive. He'll try to walk the blueline under pressure, he'll pinch more, he'll step up to break up plays in the neutral zone, he'll make hits to eliminate opponents. Some of that will have to be dialed back but I'd rather tame a horse than have to push a cautious guy like Jones.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I just heard some talking head say this a modern day Shea Weber...please.. please please. That was always my only criticism of Seth is he didn't use his physicality to enforce our blue line.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Hopefully we can see him next to Z within a few years. The thought of that pairing is pretty exciting.

EDIT: Jiricek and I share a birthday. That's cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Boqvist (22), Blankenburg (24), Peeke (24) now, Ceulemans (19) and Jiříček (18) in the future. Our problem - RHD is probably out. 🙂

Reactions: LJ7

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
After the the craziness of top5, it's kinda disappointing the CBJ picks are pretty much what was expected :D And they're both D-men, who are usually less exciting than forwards simply because they are usually a year or two further away from being impact players on the big club. Seems to bode well for the future though - even if I don't know anything about these players. For a moment there I thought they were actually going to get Wright with the 6th, but then again if he was available, would Jarmo even taken him? :D For the record I would've been super happy about that pick, even if I know nothing about Wright and was not overly impressed by his OHL numbers ...

Which brings me to how funny it is how much many Canadian fans seem to overrate OHL numbers, at least compared to actual scouts. On the mains they were going Wright >>> Slafkovsky for 1oa AINEC. And then Wright went 5th... Yeah he put up gazillion points, but ahead of him in top10 where guys like an undrafted 21yo Swede who got absolutely nothing done in the 2nd tier of pro hockey in Sweden and immediately tore it up in the OHL. That settled it for me. While Slafkovsky wasn't exactly a scoring powerhouse in the Finnish Liiga, at least that's a top level adult pro league and he played two adult international tournaments and rocked in both.

Somehow for this draft it would be fitting if Wright developed into a franchise #1 center pretty soon :)

Reactions: Halberdier

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It will be interesting to see the development curve for Jiricek as it compares to Ceulemans. It would seem that Ceulemans will spend another year at Wisconsin and if he shows the same level of development as he did this past year I have to think he's done after two years at Wisconsin. That is likely followed by a stint in the AHL. That's where I think we'll get a good feel for the level of his upside. While he's playing against 20-22 year olds now, he'll move up to playing against some seasoned pros (NHL vets or NHL ready players) and other high end players. Likely tickets him to the NHL in 24-25. That's the earliest I would expect him.

Jiricek has been playing against men already (for 2 years) and it will be interesting to see if he ends up in the AHL this year as part of his development. I would think he would spend some time there before the NHL so if he stays in Plzen this year, that likely puts in in the AHL in 23-24 just like Ceulemans. Could be development together. I don't know that CBJ would bring both up the same year so, to me, this is an interesting follow. CBJ could suddenly have some hard questions with their RHD pool.

As for the pick, I was clearly a Nemec guy coming in but I didn't NOT like Jiricek. Just prefer the more fluid player in today's game. Jiricek still has high end potential and he could look really good with Z if his development gets there. Has a well rounded game and definitely offers the size/thump that we lack on the back end. I have no issue with the pick and can't wait to watch the development.

One this is for sure... our prospect pool took another big step forward today in becoming more well rounded. A LOT of options in the future. Not all will pan out but there will be assets to play with in the coming years.

Reactions: CBJx614

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
One part of my family tree traces back to Plzen, its on my near-future travel plans for genealogical research. And I am a fan of a good Pilsner.
Nice, my mother's side is from Czechia (I think it was a pretty small village and don't know the name off hand) so I've always had a soft spot for Czech players.

And more than a soft spot for a nice Pilsener 🍻

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Hello all, I decided to look at the draft a bit yesterday and I've realized that I know virtually nothing about the team and the players around the league - including our draft picks over the last couple of years. The last two plus years seem to have bought about a level of change I didn't think was possible. Our roster has certainly changed quite a bit.

Hopefully he does well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad