Proposal: David Gust

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
David Gust, free agent signing by Rockford, has been a revelation! Leading IceHogs in scoring and recently had a 5pt night. He was part of the Calder Cup winning Chicago Wolves team last year...does he get an NHL contract with the Blackhawks? Will he need to clear waivers if he does sign a contract with the Hawks?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
David Gust, free agent signing by Rockford, has been a revelation! Leading IceHogs in scoring and recently had a 5pt night. He was part of the Calder Cup winning Chicago Wolves team last year...does he get an NHL contract with the Blackhawks? Will he need to clear waivers if he does sign a contract with the Hawks?

He's 28. He's the very definition of a AAAA player. Produces in the AHL but doesn't have the skillset for the NHL.

So, no. Probably not.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
He might get a deal later in the year especially around deadline time if/when the hawks start selling and yes he would clear.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Good on him for taking advantage of playing with someone like Reichel and having a strong start to the year. But as others have mentioned, he's 28 and he's been about .5 PpG in the AHL for his career. I don't see him getting an NHL deal. The Hawks already have a bunch of guys in the AHL on NHL contracts.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
He was great against Rockford last year, but as others state, does that mean it translates at the NHL level.....the age factor works against him too.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
He’s from Orland Park, Ill. Now I’m not a Chicagoland guy(Thunder Bay ON) but that’s gotta be a local guy right?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
He’s from Orland Park, Ill. Now I’m not a Chicagoland guy(Thunder Bay ON) but that’s gotta be a local guy right?

Yes. His dad bought the ice rink in Orland Park when he was a kid, around 2000.(must be nice) It's about 30 minutes south of the city.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Yes. His dad bought the ice rink in Orland Park when he was a kid, around 2000.(must be nice) It's about 30 minutes south of the city.
I'm a couple years older than him, but I played against him and his sister in a couple summer leagues when I was younger. Fair to say that he took full advantage of the opportunities his father provided him.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm a couple years older than him, but I played against him and his sister in a couple summer leagues when I was younger. Fair to say that he took full advantage of the opportunities his father provided him.
Unfortunately, the reality of hockey. The more money you've got, the more opportunity you have to make it. It is slowly but surely becoming a sport that is out of reach for anything but upper-middle class, and above.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00