Player Discussion David Desharnais

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
052c3e7c94a83a9d749c73e51c452363.jpg

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
I can't act like I know much about him, but as a centre his FO% isn't going to help us, and he hasn't exactly been lighting the lamp. Add the fact that he's obviously not a physical threat and I'm just a little confused.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Yes, sounds like a smaller, older Caggiula who has lost a step. I don't understand the trade.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
When my friend who is a Habs fan texts me chains of "yesssss" after the trade was announced, that's probably not good.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Improperly used in Montreal as top line guy. He's decent playmaker, who can drive a lower line. A bit like Versteeg or Perreault in Winnipeg.

He's an upgrade on Caggiula and the role they had him in. But the Oil needed a defensive centre.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Habs fans have hated him for years because Therrien over used him on their top line. Hopefully he can provide a bit of offensive production from the bottom 6 here.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
When my friend who is a Habs fan texts me chains of "yesssss" after the trade was announced, that's probably not good.

There may not be a more irrational fanbase in any major professional sport than Montreal fans, so I dunno how much stock you should be putting into it.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
This guy will be useless fellow Oilers, you'll see, sorry for the bad news

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I like adding experienced vets, just hoped for a better one. If he can provide an offensive spark from the 3rd line Ill be happy.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Desharnais spends a lot of time on his ass. Like, a lot. I can't even imagine how he'll be able to survive in the West.

He's one of the most hated players in Habs history.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This guy is the Frank Grimes of the NHL.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2017/2/17/14590748/david-desharnais-facing-his-next-big-battle-claude-julien-michel-therrien-pacioretty

As a result of missing out on a year of Junior play however, Desharnais headed into his first NHL draft in 2004 unranked by the Central Scouting Bureau and promptly was ignored by all 30 teams. Compounding the missed season of Junior, Desharnais was further disadvantaged with a birthday of September 14th, which made him the youngest eligible player in the draft (cutoff is 18 years old on September 15th of the draft year), as well as one of the shortest at 5’6â€. But Desharnais persisted...

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I know nothing about him, but his point totals before this year seem fairly solid. Looks like good depth to me. Experienced as well.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I hate to see the local boy go but DD is a good tryout gamble. I would love to see him click with Mcdavid and sign cheap. Maroon Mcdavid DD sounds so weird but who knows?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Desharnais spends a lot of time on his ass. Like, a lot. I can't even imagine how he'll be able to survive in the West.

He's one of the most hated players in Habs history.

That's not true. He's one of the most hated player of the Habs board history, but he'll soon be replaced as a scapegoat by another player with a French name. Outside of the HFboards universe, DD has always been well appreciated. His Cinderella story is truly inspiring. I believe he can still be a usefull NHL player. Oilers fans should like his creativity and determination on the bottom 2 lines.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
He is not as bad as HF Habs fans make him out to be. His work ethic is good and he is a plus playmaker. He isn't worth 3.5M a year anymore, but I have a feeling Oiler fans will be OK with this trade fairly soon

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That's not true. He's one of the most hated player of the Habs board history, but he'll soon be replaced as a scapegoat by another player with a French name. Outside of the HFboards universe, DD has always been well appreciated. His Cinderella story is truly inspiring. I believe he can still be a usefull NHL player. Oilers fans should like his creativity and determination on the bottom 2 lines.

Habs fans literally booed him at the bell center. It's far from being just the board. Montreal media bashed him too outside RDS.

I felt bad for Desharnais, he got a lot of undeserved hate from everyone and everywhere because of Therrien overusing him, I'm guilty of that too. He even knew he was receiving hate but he soldiered on.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Habs fan chiming in, Desharnais is a decently skilled player with some vision who can complement skilled players

The reason Habs fans don't like them is because he can't defend the puck at all, falls down easily, and was overplayed by our ex- coach, and overpayed.

He could possibly put up 50 points again if he plays with big, skilled wingers.

Good luck guys!

Last edited:

Peasoup

May 7, 2013
Picking on the players overappreciated and overprotected by the French media and reversing the ridicule by making them the ultimate problem is a large tendency on these forums.

The (numerous) David Desharnais threads are an embarrassment to mankind and a lot of it reeks of racism to me.

I hope David the best in Edmonton. You've got a sweet team this year. :)

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Habs fan here.

DD was bash mainly in English Montreal public board at a level never seen before.

You will see, he is not that good. But you have a good bottom guy that need a change of scene. For what you give, you will be happy on what you get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad