David Desharnais a legit #2 centerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuggieriHabs76

Sep 13, 2013
I think its time for everybody to give some credit where it's due. Even though DD has only turned things around once given Gally and Paccs, there is no doubt that he is a good passer and has the ability to find his teammates anywhere in the offensive zone. I can see DD putting up 60 pts on a good year and at 3.5 million for another three years in today's NHL i would go as far as considering it a steal if he can keep setting up goals

Peteux

Jul 15, 2010
I think its time for everybody to give some credit where it's due. Even though DD has only turned things around once given Gally and Paccs, there is no doubt that he is a good passer and has the ability to find his teammates anywhere in the offensive zone. I can see DD putting up 60 pts on a good year and at 3.5 million for another three years in today's NHL i would go as far as considering it a steal if he can keep setting up goals

This thread is gonna be locked so hard.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
He's playing good. He came back from a long drought. Congrats to him for picking back up the pace. Took him long enough, but he's playing good. Hopefully, for everyone's sake, he doesn't go through another drought for a long time.

He's still going to have to give up his spot to Chuck, eventually.

Andros777

Apr 12, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He's playing good. He came back from a long drought. Congrats to him for picking back up the pace. Took him long enough, but he's playing good. Hopefully, for everyone's sake, he doesn't go through another drought for a long time.

He's still going to have to give up his spot to Chuck, eventually.

At this rate it might be Plekanec who loses his spot.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
At this rate it might be Plekanec who loses his spot.

He's playing bad tonight, that warrants your comment? He palyed great last night... I know this game is frustrating, I'm with you. But please contain yourself. I know you don't mean it.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'm still curious to see if he can do well on the wing. I think he has the hockey smarts.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wouldn't trade for him. I'd trade for his linemates but not DD. And I don't think anyone else would either.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It has been said by many here, even when DD was slumping big time: having a guy like DD on your team is not, by itself, a problem.

The problem is when you have DD, Gionta, Briere, Gallagher etc. in your top 9.

Give me a top 9 with DD and Gallagher any day of the week. Surround them properly and voilà.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
He is a 2nd line center on the right team. On this team, right
now,he deserves the role he has.

In the future that could easily change. Galchenyuk, Plekanec,
and Eller could be a strong center line-up. Desharnais might not
be useful to any team that doesn't have his current role available.
If that happens, his contract is a bit big for a player that brings
primarily depth.

Still I'm a fan of the person, as well as the hockey player. So
I hate the people who bash him unfairly.:shakehead

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Odd timing, because he has a pretty bad game compared to what he shown lately.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
He is a 2nd line center on the right team. On this team, right
now,he deserves the role he has.

In the future that could easily change. Galchenyuk, Plekanec,
and Eller could be a strong center line-up. Desharnais might not
be useful to any team that doesn't have his current role available.
If that happens, his contract is a bit big for a player that brings
primarily depth.

Still I'm a fan of the person, as well as the hockey player. So
I hate the people who bash him unfairly.:shakehead

If we HAVE to play Galchenyuk at center next year, Eller looks more and more like he's gonna be the odd man out. Sad but true. I guess he's gonna get a 1 or 2 years contract to show what he can do. Hopefully he comes back with a vengeance.

If, if, if, Galchenyuk shows that he can play big minutes as a center, I have no problem with Plekanec/Glachenyuk as a 1-2 punch/tough matchups and Desharnais on a scoring line.

But that's a lot of ifs. I'm not saying Eller is done and Chucky has arrived, far from that.

One thing is sure, though, there's no way the Habs trade DD this summer to make room for Eller and Galchenyuk as a #2/#3 combo.

Honestly, if we have to go with what we have, I'd try converting Eller to wing. I know it hasn't worked in the past, but these were short term tryouts, mostly. Eller has a good shot, good stickhandling, he's big, but his hockey IQ is questionable? Why not seriously try him at wing for half a season before saying it doesn't work?

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Depends on if the team is a contender, he has no place on a SC team. Good filler for a bottom feeder team. And a stop gap for teams on the way up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I remember 6 months ago I had to argue he was even an NHL player...
Still don't think he'd have a job anywhere else. 'Cause nobody else would use him as a number one and put a player of Max's caliber with him. Only way it happens is on a very bad team with no other option (see Kyle Wellwood and the Leafs.)

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
It's all about chemistry. I think he is a complementary second line center. His wingers could succeed with anyone, they can create themselves. He doesn't make players better in my opinion but doesn't hurt his linemates either.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Still don't think he'd have a job anywhere else. 'Cause nobody else would use him as a number one and put a player of Max's caliber with him. Only way it happens is on a very bad team with no other option (see Kyle Wellwood and the Leafs.)

Or on a top 3 team in the conference. Either one I guess.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
While he is a good set up man he needs to shoot.more because he can score and can become predictable

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
He is kinda in a situation like Bozak in TO tho Bozak can play a third line role too.

I don't think Bozak helps or hinders JVR or Kessel but fits decently

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I admire what DD has accomplished. Undrafted, diminutive player who is a decent player. The problem lies in his abilities to perform during tight, clutch and grab playoff hockey....no team can be seriously considered a legit cup threat with DD playing in the top 2 lines during the playoffs.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
If we HAVE to play Galchenyuk at center next year, Eller looks more and more like he's gonna be the odd man out. Sad but true. I guess he's gonna get a 1 or 2 years contract to show what he can do. Hopefully he comes back with a vengeance.

If, if, if, Galchenyuk shows that he can play big minutes as a center, I have no problem with Plekanec/Glachenyuk as a 1-2 punch/tough matchups and Desharnais on a scoring line.

But that's a lot of ifs. I'm not saying Eller is done and Chucky has arrived, far from that.

One thing is sure, though, there's no way the Habs trade DD this summer to make room for Eller and Galchenyuk as a #2/#3 combo.

Honestly, if we have to go with what we have, I'd try converting Eller to wing. I know it hasn't worked in the past, but these were short term tryouts, mostly. Eller has a good shot, good stickhandling, he's big, but his hockey IQ is questionable? Why not seriously try him at wing for half a season before saying it doesn't work?
I still have no idea where this is coming from. DD gets the best linemates and all his does is sometimes shoot, or drop pass to subban, or 60% of the time pass straight to patches.

At least with eller he is hitting, has great puck control and DOES have good vision. I fail to see how he has a poor hockey IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad