Injury Report: David Clarkson placed on injured reserve

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Clarkson is not a player that plays 18+ minutes a night and helps the team succeed.

My eyes aren't what they used to be, what's that say over Clarkson's right shoulder?

clarkson1.jpg

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Clarkson has had a rough start but don't think that defines his career. He'll be a big part of this club moving forward.

Never judge a new FA in his first year, its normal that they struggle as they acclimate and his start was rockier than most

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Please put him on the 4th line when he returns I don't want him to ruin any of the mojo we have going. Plus he should he able to eat up other team's 4th lines

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I believe in the law of averages, and Clarkson while playing much better just before being hurt, yes, he was for people who continue to slag on the guy has had one bad luck situation after the other happen to him this year. Some by his own doing, some by circumstance.

The Law of averages may be tipping in his favour in these last 25 games left in the season.

I see him being a vital force for us, down the stretch. He's too good a player to keep down.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I like him. The only qualm I have is his salary and how it might affect resigning other players. But then again...1: the salary cap is going up. 2: we have most of our wingers locked up long-term. I wonder if our centers will use Clarkson as a comparable.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
The stats do not suggest that he brings losses down through his physicality and defensive play (however strong it may be; I think he's a liability more often than not).

The numbers do not lie, and if we're arguing about how he's NOT bringing the team down rather than how he actually brings the team up, then I am right, and he should be designated to 4th line 10 minutes a night upon return from injury. He is not a superstar that we automatically re-insert into the lineup. Salary should not set his role on the team.

what it really comes down to, is hes realistically a 3rd line player getting paid 2nd line money and the expectations are astronomical around here, he was starting to get in a groove in the last 5-10 games he played before injury as well though

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
David Clarkson should not have any right to come off of IR and take his spot back on the second line and second power play. The sample sizes are big enough now to show how much better off the team is without him than with him in the lineup, playing 16-17 minutes a game and taking opportunity away from better players.

With him, in 36 games, the Leafs are 16-15-5 with 7 ROW. This is a seasonal pace of 36-34-12 with 16 ROW in 82 games. In other words, mediocre.

Without him, in 21 games, the Leafs are 14-6-1 with 14 ROW. Yes, that's right, not one lucky shoutout win without him in the lineup. This is a seasonal pace of 55-23-4 for 114 points.

I haven't had time to dig into specific team stats in those games, but those numbers should speak pretty loudly for themselves.

I'm sorry, but I would have to believe these numbers are more circumstance then causal.

I can only think of 3 ways where 1 player can be the causal element.

1) He is a superstar player on a weak team. Not the case.

2) He and his contract are so hated by his teammates that it effects them on the whole, when he is around. Impossible to say.

3) He is your star #1 tender.Not the case.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I'm sorry, but I would have to believe these numbers are more circumstance then causal.

I can only think of 3 ways where 1 player can be the causal element.

1) He is a superstar player on a weak team. Not the case.

2) He and his contract are so hated by his teammates that it effects them on the whole, when he is around. Impossible to say.

3) He is your star #1 tender.Not the case.

Killing any offense on your line without being particularly good defensively certainly gives the opposing team a better chance.

Pointing to the Leafs' record with and without Clarkson isn't necessarily suggesting that he's the one factor that decides if we win or lose. It's pointing out that the team just isn't better with him in the lineup. If you're watching the games, you may have noticed that the Leafs don't miss their 36 million dollar man one bit.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Killing any offense on your line without being particularly good defensively certainly gives the opposing team a better chance.

Pointing to the Leafs' record with and without Clarkson isn't necessarily suggesting that he's the one factor that decides if we win or lose. It's pointing out that the team just isn't better with him in the lineup. If you're watching the games, you may have noticed that the Leafs don't miss their 36 million dollar man one bit.

Those types of player-to-record comparrisons are weak at best and have been proven to be pretty inaccurate over the course of an entire season. Unless you're Ovechkin, or H.Sedin where the entire team's offense runs through that player, these records means diddly squat.

When you look at wins, it's easy to say they don't miss him. I find it hard to believe that swapping Bolland and Clarkson in for Holland and Bodie would have little to no impact. The top 6 offense is rolling and has nothing to do with that 3rd line which has been pretty stagnant/inconsistent lately.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Those types of player-to-record comparrisons are weak at best and have been proven to be pretty inaccurate over the course of an entire season. Unless you're Ovechkin, or H.Sedin where the entire team's offense runs through that player, these records means diddly squat.

When you look at wins, it's easy to say they don't miss him. I find it hard to believe that swapping Bolland and Clarkson in for Holland and Bodie would have little to no impact. The top 6 offense is rolling and has nothing to do with that 3rd line which has been pretty stagnant/inconsistent lately.

And that 3rd line was stagnant/inconsistent with Clarkson as well. So, like I said, the team is not worse without him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The team being on a hot streak when he comes back this time should help him not try to do too much, at least.

Now he can just come in in a clear 3rd line role and just try to play that role as best he can, with not much in the way of expectations on him.

Hopefully he can thrive in that situation......if he can't, well, that would suck.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Please put him on the 4th line when he returns I don't want him to ruin any of the mojo we have going. Plus he should he able to eat up other team's 4th lines

Honestly, he's signed and we have to live with it so might as well put him in a position where he can succeed :laugh:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
My eyes aren't what they used to be, what's that say over Clarkson's right shoulder?

clarkson1.jpg

Interesting. In that final Clarkson contributed 1 primary assist and one secondary assist in six games. That's 1 assist less than Ponikarovsky. Playoff warrior!

Those playoffs accounted for 12 of Clarkson's 14 career playoff points. But if you look a little closer, you'll see that five of those points were in the first round against the Florida Panthers.

His combined contribution to the finals and conference finals were 1 goal and 3 assists in 12 games against the Rangers and Kings.

Prior to the Florida series he had 2 goals and no assists in 20 playoff games.

Nothing there suggests we shold be holding our breath for a "playoff monster."

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
If they could, I'm sure the Leafs would take the contract back. Clarkson is better then what he's produced so far but he was paid too much.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
With consistent lineup shuffling, injuries and suspensions yes.

There is still consistent lineup shuffling and injuries. You haven't actually refuted that this team is not worse without Clarkson.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
There is still consistent lineup shuffling and injuries. You haven't actually refuted that this team is not worse without Clarkson.

You already know my stance, I don't need to repeat it. The potential is there for that to be a dynamite, albeit pricey, 3rd line. Bodie has done an acceptable job, but Clarkson is still far better along the boards and protecting the puck. Not to mention the better shot. The 3rd line has been jumbled all year. All you can look at are the individuals.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
You already know my stance, I don't need to repeat it. The potential is there for that to be a dynamite, albeit pricey, 3rd line. Bodie has done an acceptable job, but Clarkson is still far better along the boards and protecting the puck. Not to mention the better shot. The 3rd line has been jumbled all year. All you can look at are the individuals.

Bodie has contributed as much offense as Clarkson has.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Bodie has contributed as much offense as Clarkson has.

Bodie's playing at his absolute best, and so far we've pretty much only see Clarkson's worst. If he goes back to playing the way he did before he came here our top 9 is going to be incredible. He'll also be maligned for his contract though.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Cant wait to get Clarkson back with Bolland. They start going, and all the people complaining about him will deny they ever did, just like they do with every player who slumps.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Assuming we are in the POs, a 3rd line of

Ray,Bolo,Clark/Kuli

Has some sexy sexiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad