Signing(s): David Bakhtiari signs extension (4 years, $92 million)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Lot a coin for an O-lineman but that's probably because we're generally not used to seeing o-lineman get the bag like that.

That's a trend i'd like to see more of. The o-line the second most important component next to a QB on a football team

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Lot a coin for an O-lineman but that's probably because we're generally not used to seeing o-lineman get the bag like that.

That's a trend i'd like to see more of. The o-line the second most important component next to a QB on a football team
Qb
Passrush
O-line/Cover dbs

That’s my humble suggestion for position hierarchy

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

member 157595

Bingo.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Agreed 100%. I wish there was an easy way to explain that to youth players, every kid I coach wants to be Odell or Saquon. You can have all the talent in the world, but with a poor OL you're done. Love seeing LT's getting paid.

member 157595

Agreed 100%. I wish there was an easy way to explain that to youth players, every kid I coach wants to be Odell or Saquon. You can have all the talent in the world, but with a poor OL you're done. Love seeing LT's getting paid.

You can thank the media for that. Offensive linemen don't touch the ball, they must not be that important! If I'm building a team from scratch, starting only from a front office staff suitable for the job, for me it looks like this:

First order of business: franchise QB.
Second order of business: blind-side tackle.
Third order of business: A combination of the remaining OL and weapons to help the franchise QB develop, but the former being more important.
Fourth: DL, especially the pass rush.

In other words, don't do to a young QB what the Jets did to Sam Darnold and what the Bengals might do to Joe Burrow if they don't improve their porous OL.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You can thank the media for that. Offensive linemen don't touch the ball, they must not be that important! If I'm building a team from scratch, starting only from a front office staff suitable for the job, for me it looks like this:

Third order of business: A combination of the remaining OL and weapons to help the franchise QB develop, but the former being more important.

In other words, don't do to a young QB what the Jets did to Sam Darnold and what the Bengals might do to Joe Burrow if they don't improve their porous OL.
Give me a good OL over top end weapons. For the OL, you either do what Seattle did back in the Shaun Alexander days and have a great left side, or you get bookend tackles. Allow the C and G to block the DT. I would place more emphasis on the DL because no matter how good your secondary is, they can't cover forever.

OT can play longer at a high level than a WR/CB/DE, etc. Their athletic ability can take a 10-15% drop but still be good at their job. Can't say the same for other positions that require more speed/quickness/etc.

If you review the past several years of the draft in round 1, how many OL have actually lived up to their billing as good solid starting OL? You have fewer padded practices for them to improve their craft.

Reactions: OmniCube

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Give me a good OL over top end weapons. For the OL, you either do what Seattle did back in the Shaun Alexander days and have a great left side, or you get bookend tackles. Allow the C and G to block the DT. I would place more emphasis on the DL because no matter how good your secondary is, they can't cover forever.

OT can play longer at a high level than a WR/CB/DE, etc. Their athletic ability can take a 10-15% drop but still be good at their job. Can't say the same for other positions that require more speed/quickness/etc.

If you review the past several years of the draft in round 1, how many OL have actually lived up to their billing as good solid starting OL? You have fewer padded practices for them to improve their craft.
Yep, excellent insight there. I personally like the bookend tackle idea, especially when paired with a mobile quarterback, and/or good edge-running RB.

Couldn't agree more, my man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad