Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
I am as big a David Backes hater as you are probably going to find, but I feel awful about this news. Cant imagine how painful and frustrating this is, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Reactions: DKH

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Whish him the best,know a couple of people that have had that kind of surgery .Its a tuff recovery that's for sure.I think 8 weeks is a very un likely.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I know I was saying in the other thread that Backes has been disappointing and I'd take Lucic over him, but at the end of the day I do like Backes and am rooting for him to succeed. The fact of the matter is, the Bruins need him to play up to his potential if they're going to have any real success. so yeah this sucks and I really hope he can make a quick & full recovery.

Reactions: Ratty

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Yikes. Good luck to him during his surgery and recovery.

That contract is definitely not looking good at all, even though no one could have predicted his current health issues.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Best of luck to David. My very own brother had diverticulitis but thankfully he didn't have to have an operation. Stay strong David!

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
Can we not move him to LTIR? I would say 2 months is best case scenario here. From what I've heard he will lose some lbs with this

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Really sucks. I have a friend who used to play in the NFL who had a similar set of circumstances as Backes and ultimately ended up needing surgery on his colon earlier this year. He's a tremendous athlete and is still not 100 percent after 16 weeks and lost an absolute ton of weight after his colon surgery because of the diet he had to use. I'm sure surgery due to diverticulitis is a little different for everybody, but it can be pretty serious stuff. Backes likely has a long road ahead to get back to full strength. Best of luck to him.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Really sucks. I have a friend who used to play in the NFL who had a similar set of circumstances as Backes and ultimately ended up needing surgery on his colon earlier this year. He's a tremendous athlete and is still not 100 percent after 16 weeks and lost an absolute ton of weight after his colon surgery because of the diet he had to use. I'm sure surgery due to diverticulitis is a little different for everybody, but it can be pretty serious stuff. Backes likely has a long road ahead to get back to full strength. Best of luck to him.
I know nothing about it, but it seems reasonable to think the diet would be a challenge when you're a professional athlete trying to build your body back up after that kind of a surgery. I can't imagine what kind of unpleasantness he's had to deal with and has yet to "look forward" to. :(

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I cannot imagine playing highly competitive hockey with part of your colon removed. It'll be Masterton level dedication to return well. Respect.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
oye, well here comes Nash and Schaller as our 2nd be 3rd line centers.

Hope Backes recovers well and takes time to fully heal.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I've deleted multiple posts here.
Time to stop with the 5th grade attempts at humor. This is somewhat serious and there are members here that are or have been afflicted with the same illness.
'nuff said.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
only good thing about this is i'm not convinced losing him means very much at this point.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
only good thing about this is i'm not convinced losing him means very much at this point.

Trust me I hated the signing as much as anyone and I still maintain it was a terrible decision by Sweeney, but I feel like Backes had been trending upwards the last few games. A guy with that track record is a valuable asset, and while I don't believe he was worth anywhere near what they gave him, he was definitely worth something to this team. They're going to miss him, and they're really going to miss him with Krejci out as well.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Trust me I hated the signing as much as anyone and I still maintain it was a terrible decision by Sweeney, but I feel like Backes had been trending upwards the last few games. A guy with that track record is a valuable asset, and while I don't believe he was worth anywhere near what they gave him, he was definitely worth something to this team. They're going to miss him, and they're really going to miss him with Krejci out as well.

i liked the slick pass he made to debrusk on the backhand right at the net late in the cbj game, and i like his net drive at times, but i don't think he's irreplaceable within the organization. like i don't think having czarnik, for instance, play his mins makes this team substantially worse in the short term, because the production just isn't there. you can talk all you want about the physical presence he brings, but that's arbitrary in most games.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

BruinsNetwork

I think it's time for this thread to be closed, now. The amount of immaturity and uneducated "hockey" dialogue here is almost sickening.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I feel horrible for Dave! I don't want him to rush back for anything, even if he helps stabalize the lineup. His health is more important right now.

Reactions: bobbyorr04
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot