David Backes #2C vs. #1RW

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
This seems to be a topic of a lot of discussion not just on this board but everywhere. So I pose the question: Where would you rather see Backes lineup to start the season.

Pros of being #2C:
-Keep the SOB line together for matchups allowing Stastny line to focus more on offense.
-Splitting up Stastny and Backes gives us two good 200ft defensive centers down the middle.
-Backes has played center most of his NHL career and has produced very well in that spot. 30-30-60 guy.

Pros of being #1RW:
-Can focus less on 200ft game and be more aggressive on the forecheck helping break down opposing defenses.
-Could potentially open up his offense more playing with someone who can get him the puck down low.
-Will become the net front presence we were suppose to have in the Chris Stewart.
-Will allow Lehtera to center Tarasenko and see if their chemistry can transfer to the NHL.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Centers are much more valuable than wingers, and Backes plays the center position well in this system. You can make an argument that he's still the best all-around center on this team. I don't see him moving to the wing, even if Lehtera lights it up.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
I'm not convinced that Stastny is actually a better center than Backes is and if he is it's not by much. I would keep Backes at center but I could see certain situations where they would be put together like trying to push for a goal late in the game, as an OT pairing, or if the entire team has been playing flat and you need to shake up all the lines to get everyone's attention focused again.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Center, but I wouldn't necessarily say he's the #2. He's still going to get the toughest matchups 5 on 5 and on the PK. Backes has a pretty good shot, so I prefer him sliding into the high slot ready to unleash a bomb. Systematically speaking, at least in my head, Backes belongs in the middle because of his defensive abilities. I want him to be the 3rd man back, not one of the last.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Whatever helps us win, honestly...but I like the idea of a great 1-2 punch with Backes and Stastny down the middle.

For the purposes of this topic, Backes at center is best.

EDIT: Can't vote yet. :help:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I've yet to see any combination from anyone with Stastny and Backes as 1 and 2 Centers were we have a 3rd line that inspires anything close to confidence in me. Backes to wing.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I tend to agree on him staying at center. He just offers to much there. As for the #2C thing I don't think it really matters cause the whole top 6 is pretty much interchangeable. Playing devils advocate for a second though, two playmakers in the middle instead of one is something that would likely generate more offense. Which has been the biggest area of concern.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I've yet to see any combination from anyone with Stastny and Backes as 1 and 2 Centers were we have a 3rd line that inspires anything close to confidence in me. Backes to wing.

So, your answer to not having good enough depth at the 3rd line center spot is to make it worse by moving them up a line?

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I'm not convinced that Stastny is actually a better center than Backes is and if he is it's not by much. I would keep Backes at center but I could see certain situations where they would be put together like trying to push for a goal late in the game, as an OT pairing, or if the entire team has been playing flat and you need to shake up all the lines to get everyone's attention focused again.

Or if you'd like to help him get to Seabrook a little faster. I'd prefer him to stay at center primarily.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
So your answer to not having good enough depth at the 3rd line center spot is to make it worse by moving them up a line?

Who said problems with the 3rd line center? Berglund and (insert whoever here) on the wings is the problem. If the plan is Lehtera/Berglund on the 3rd line, then no matter what, other teams will exploit that lines lack of speed.

If you move Backes to RW, you can give Lehtera a chance at centering line 2. He is a pretty perfect fit in between Tank and Schwartz stylistically, a pass first center with excellent vision to find Tank. Arguably even more importantly, that means Oshie gets to become the best 3rd line winger in the league, and cause big mismatches on line 3 with Sobotka and Berglund.

It's a depth question to me. Our team is better with Backes on the wing to me.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Center. The entire point of this offseason was to get a Stastny and Backes duo at center I thought. Moving Backes to the wing is pretty damn pointless.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Who said problems with the 3rd line center? Berglund and (insert whoever here) on the wings is the problem. If the plan is Lehtera/Berglund on the 3rd line, then no matter what, other teams will exploit that lines lack of speed.

If you move Backes to RW, you can give Lehtera a chance at centering line 2. He is a pretty perfect fit in between Tank and Schwartz stylistically, a pass first center with excellent vision to find Tank. Arguably even more importantly, that means Oshie gets to become the best 3rd line winger in the league, and cause big mismatches on line 3 with Sobotka and Berglund.

It's a depth question to me. Our team is better with Backes on the wing to me.

Moving Backes weakens the center though. If you're that worried about the 3rd line wingers, shift a good winger down to the 3rd line.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Well, I think he means Sobotka is our 3C no matter what. Putting Backes on the wing moves Oshie to the third line winger.

If Backes stays at C, it means. Lehtera centers 3rd line. I don't want Lehtera centering Berglund as I feel that becomes a weak line due to its lack of speed that teams like the Hawks can exploit.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Moving Backes weakens the center though. If you're that worried about the 3rd line wingers, shift a good winger down to the 3rd line.

Who? We aren't bumping down Tarasenko, Schwartz, or Steen. So it would have to be Oshie. Berglund is a LW, not a RW, so it's not him going to top 6. So then who takes RW on top 6 right now?

Basically, our Center depth right now is much better then our RW depth, at least IMO.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
If Backes stays at C, it means. Lehtera centers 3rd line. I don't want Lehtera centering Berglund as I feel that becomes a weak line due to its lack of speed that teams like the Hawks can exploit.

I thought Lehtera played wing as well? Obviously not his ideal position but I'd rather have

Berg - Sobotka - Lehtera

than move Sobotka to the 4th line.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010

And if you put one of Steen or Schwartz on the 3rd line instead of Berglund, you still have the improved center depth we have been looking for. The argument for Backes at wing full time is a weak one because there are ways for us to have our cake and eat it too.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Who? We aren't bumping down Tarasenko, Schwartz, or Steen. So it would have to be Oshie. Berglund is a LW, not a RW, so it's not him going to top 6. So then who takes RW on top 6 right now?

Basically, our Center depth right now is much better then our RW depth, at least IMO.

So, Hitch will use Ott in the top 6 and on the PP, but won't push Steen or Schwartz down during 5 on 5 to create mismatches now that the team is even deeper?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
People are getting to hung up on line "numbers". TOI will probably be pretty close between the 3. While some may not like the idea of guys not getting 20min a night. That will be a good thing over the Long haul. Plus fresher for PP & PK

If Lehtera kills it with Tarasenko and Schwartz. So be it, backes can play wrecking ball on the RW.

Backes SMASH

I still picked center lol

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
And if you put one of Steen or Schwartz on the 3rd line instead of Berglund, you still have the improved center depth we have been looking for. The argument for Backes at wing full time is a weak one because there are ways for us to have our cake and eat it too.

To be blunt, I have more confidence in Lehtera performing well with Tarasenko and Schwartz then. I do Berglund performing with Stastny and Tarasenko or Backes and Oshie.

Jack Bandit

Jan 27, 2014
Illinois
I think Lindstrom forces his way into the top 9, eventually. The skill has always been there, but the dedication wasn't. He has that dedication now, and I think he's going to be a force. Of course, I could be a little biased.

Edit: Oh, and I like Backes at center.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That mentality was before Lehtera though.
Yeah but I am not ready to hype this guy up to be great just yet. I need to see him play in the NHL.

Stastny/Backes going up against Toews/Richards, Kopitar, etc. is much more ideal than Jori Lehtera to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad