David “SuperStud†Jones

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
An expiring UFA next year, Jones has been an on-and-off player during his tenure in Calgary. Recently, he’s been more “on†than “offâ€, but what is your opinion on him? Should we re-sign him? Can we get someone for him? Is he a negative value guy? Share your thought process here.

Also, if this thread already exists, then just join it with the other Jones thread. We need to talk about this stud.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I don't think he has negative value per say, although I think if hes making 3 million instead of four he would get a lot more love. I'd say keep him and try to resign him for 2 years while our RW prospects develop. That being said if a trade offer is on the table for him I would have to really think about it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he will play out his contract, maybe get dealt at the deadline next year depending where we are in the standings and how well he is playing. He is however not a negative value guy currently.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
If Jones has a similar season next year as he has had this year, I see absolutely no problem with resigning him while our RW prospects develop.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not negative value at all right now. Still wouldn't return too much in a trade but hes been good this year. Probably finishes out his contract here and then ends up somewhere else.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I don’t think he has negative value at all. In fact, I’d love if they’d resign him and keep my Jones jersey relevant.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He's playing well this year but given the extra year left on his contract and the cap hit, it wouldn't be easy to move him. It's been said again and again that because of the possibility the cap might stagnate or even shrink, teams aren't looking to add salary for next season.

As to whether he should be traded or re-signed, it'll depend on where the Flames sit at next years trade deadline. I'd lean towards a trade given the forward depth in the system but Jones might not be a bad re-signing at ~2.5-3M on a short term contract (1 or 2 years).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he will play out his contract, maybe get dealt at the deadline next year depending where we are in the standings and how well he is playing. He is however not a negative value guy currently.

This is pretty much how I feel. I will add, if we resign him it's likely due to our prospects not being ready. In which case I could see him being resigned to a 2 year extension. I personally hope we deal him because that means one of our young players has outplayed him and taken his spot.

Jones does deserve some recognition for how well he's played this year though. He's basically resurrected his career.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is pretty much how I feel. I will add, if we resign him it's likely due to our prospects not being ready. In which case I could see him being resigned to a 2 year extension. I personally hope we deal him because that means one of our young players has outplayed him and taken his spot.

Jones does deserve some recognition for how well he's played this though. He's basically resurrected his career.
I think another factor is Hudler. He becomes a UFA the same time as Jones, how his negotiations are going will play a part too. If it looks like Hudler will walk, then it becomes more important to keep Jones IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think another factor is Hudler. He becomes a UFA the same time as Jones, how his negotiations are going will play a part too. If it looks like Hudler will walk, then it becomes more important to keep Jones IMO.

That's a good point to. I think Hudler really likes it here though as he's on pace to have a career year. But no one knows what these guys are thinking. If some reason he wants to leave, I'd be fine to keep Jones in the fold. He plays the way the Flames like.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's a good point to. I think Hudler really likes it here though as he's on pace to have a career year. But no one knows what these guys are thinking. If some reason he wants to leave, I'd be fine to keep Jones in the fold. He plays the way the Flames like.
I think Hudler will want to stay too, or at least I hope so. He's rode Johnny Hockey's coattails to a career year and that could improve with Johnny. :naughty:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Jones is a hell of a sweet wing to put on a shut down line. Skates great, hits hard, and good hands to finish. Good interview too. He's probably overpaid, but that doesn't really hurt this team specifically.

All that said, it's highly unlikely he stays after his contract. I wouldn't mind it, but I just don't see room for him between Hudler, Poirier, Jooris, Colborne, Shore, and Byron all making a bit of a case along the right side. and our top 3 centers being almost set in stone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad